lsass.exe Chrome high CPU

WhatTheQuack

Hello LTT!

So recently I have been having some issues with a process called lsass.exe using 25% of my CPU, so I figured something is not right.

This is almost certainly linked to Chrome, because when I launch Chrome, lsass.exe spikes up to 100% CPU usage, then stays at 25% for as long as Chrome is open. 

lsass.exe does not use 25% CPU while Chrome is not running. Also I have tried re-installing Chrome but it did not fix the issue.

Also sometimes if I close Chrome (From the 'X' button) it will not open again unless I end all Chrome.exe processes from task manager.

I would like to know what lsass.exe is, what is causing it to do this, and how I can fix this.

Thanks!

System specs: In signature

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Do a scan with malwarebytes, there is a very big chance it's a virus.

If malwarebytes says it is indeed a virus and you can't get rid of it, you will need to reinstall windows...

Also if malwarebytes does get rid of it, just keep an eye on it, there is a possibility it comes back, if that's the case, reinstall windows.

It's a virus that can be a real pain...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If malwarebytes says it is indeed a virus and you can't get rid of it, you will need to reinstall windows...

Also if malwarebytes does get rid of it, just keep an eye on it, there is a possibility it comes back, if that's the case, reinstall windows.

@samcool55 

Malwarebytes came up with a bunch of things (which have now been removed), but none of which were lsass.exe

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Source?

Hello LTT!

So recently I have been having some issues with a process called Lsass.exe using 25% of my CPU, so I figured something is not right.

This is almost certainly linked to Chrome, because when I launch Chrome, Lsass.exe spikes up to 100% CPU usage, then stays at 25% for as long as Chrome is open. Lsass.exe does not use 25% CPU while Chrome is not running. Also I have tried re-installing Chrome but it did not fix the issue.

Also sometimes if I close Chrome (From the 'X' button) it will not open again unless I end all Chrome.exe processes from task manager.

I would like to know what Lsass.exe is, what is causing it to do this, and how I can fix this.

Thanks!

I have encountered this problem multiple times on Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers. Is your PC part of a domain? Are you using the protected storage features?

I have encountered this problem multiple times on Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers. Is your PC part of a domain? Are you using the protected storage features?

I'm not using a domain, and I don't know what the protected storage features are (Which probably means that I am not using them?)

My PC:

Lsass.exe is known to be the Sasser worm

usual lsass.exe(local security authentication server) does not have a Capital "L"

You should use this tool ~ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841720

Once it has completed cleaning your system, go into safe mode and clean again. Ensure that you are disconnected from Internet, run Malwarebytes to be double sure.

Lsass.exe is known to be the Sasser worm

usual lsass.exe(local security authentication server) does not have a Capital "L"

You should use this tool ~ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841720

Once it has completed cleaning your system, go into safe mode and clean again. Ensure that you are disconnected from Internet, run Malwarebytes to be double sure.

Crap, my mistake, it does not have a capital L, thought it did because of different fonts etc 

My PC:

Crap, my mistake, it does not have a capital L, thought it did because of different fonts etc 

You might need to reinstall Windows... lsass.exe shouldn't be using 25% cpu let alone 100% when chrome is in use.

You might need to reinstall Windows... lsass.exe shouldn't be using 25% cpu let alone 100% when chrome is in use.

eugh, can't be bothered... might just have to deal with it for the time being. (Also its at 0% when chrome is not running, and 25% when it its, it spikes to 100% when chrome is launched) Maybe doing a system restore might help?

My PC:

eugh, can't be bothered... might just have to deal with it for the time being. (Also its at 0% when chrome is not running, and 25% when it its, it spikes to 100% when chrome is launched) Maybe doing a system restore might help?

It might help ~ but a full restore would be best.

It might help ~ but a full restore would be best.

System restore definitely did something, but now chrome won't open at all. I'm currently reinstalling it

EDIT: nope, still having the same issues. I guess I'll just switch to FireFox.

My PC:

I'd do a format and a reinstall of windows, but whatever works for you.

I probably will at some point, but for now (and probably from now on) I'll just switch to firefox

My PC:

System restore definitely did something, but now chrome won't open at all. I'm currently reinstalling it

EDIT: nope, still having the same issues. I guess I'll just switch to FireFox.

Good for you! :)

I would suggest you to completely remove Chrome using Revo Uninstaller Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

i found a solution to it...no need to reinstall windows or chrome...

just "Clear browsing data" from beginnin of time and it may work for u...it did work me so try it and get rid of this fuckin problem :D

Hello LTT!

So recently I have been having some issues with a process called lsass.exe using 25% of my CPU, so I figured something is not right.

This is almost certainly linked to Chrome, because when I launch Chrome, lsass.exe spikes up to 100% CPU usage, then stays at 25% for as long as Chrome is open. 

lsass.exe does not use 25% CPU while Chrome is not running. Also I have tried re-installing Chrome but it did not fix the issue.

I would like to know what lsass.exe is, what is causing it to do this, and how I can fix this.

Thanks!

clear browsing data..it may take some time bear with it...just finish it till the end and see if there is issas takin process or not.

i found a solution to it...no need to reinstall windows or chrome...

just "Clear browsing data" from beginnin of time and it may work for u...it did work me so try it and get rid of this fuckin problem :D

Thanks for the suggestion, but It seems to work fine now anyway. However if I run into the problem again, I will know what to try, thanks!

Also Welcome to the forum! I feel honored that someone's first posts are on one of my topics!

My PC:

Thanks for the suggestion, but It seems to work fine now anyway. However if I run into the problem again, I will know what to try, thanks!

Also Welcome to the forum! I feel honored that someone's first posts are on one of my topics!

cuz' i was happy that i found the solution by myself when browsin for this problem..happy enough to post the solution :DD

• 6 months later...

clear browsing data..it may take some time bear with it...just finish it till the end and see if there is issas takin process or not.

this works like a charm for me, thx Soul_punk101.

do you guys have used any certification tool like OpenVPN certififcate creater?

• 3 years later...

Excuse me for the thread excavation, but this one seems to pop up quite high in Google Search, so I'll chime in with a working solution for anyone who needs it.

Reading through an issue on the Chromium bug tracker, I've encountered someone's workaround:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=374624#c27

The gist of it is that you may be able to silence the bug by going to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Protect\ and deleting the singular folder named with a GUID that's present there. I presume this forces some security information to be regenerated and works around a sneaky bug in Chrome, that otherwise causes it to lock up for a while. Be warned though, that this procedure may cause interference with Chrome's ability to store and retrieve security information, such as saved passwords, extension data, etc. You can make sure your stuff is cloud-synced (for passwords that's https://passwords.google.com) to prevent that from being a problem.

Now, as for the other answers in this thread... I know it's really old, but please, do some digging before you dismissively tell someone to reinstall their OS.