WD green slow read?

Hello people, Iv'e bought an external WD drive in order to make a home server thingy http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/155860-modems-why/
And A few years ago I bought a WD 3TB green drive. The drive is 2TB technically but you can unlock all of it with a special Asus software called disk unlock.
I have all of my pictures over on that unlocked part. and it's transferring really slowly to where ever I copy it to. 
as you can see, the upper disk in the picture is my WD black 1TB, it's transfer speeds are okay.
the lower disk is the green unlocked part, Very low transfer speeds.
Anyone know why? solution anyone? 
Thank you all.

* 4930k * EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX * 32GB Corsair dominator platinum * ASUS Rampage iv Extreme Black Edition *
*corsair neutron GTX 240GB * Corsair force 3 60GB * WD black 1TB * WD green 3TB *
* Corsair ax1200i * Corsair H100i * NZXT Phantom v2 *

Greens are slow... they are usually 5400 RPM as opposed to usual 7200 RPM Blues and Blacks... you should never store any read heavy files such as games on a Green Drive.

greens aren't that fast. copying small files (like pictures) takes a longer time since it reads data all across the drive. with 5400rpm drives it takes really long to position the head to read data. this takes its toll. If you want performance, go for a seagate barracuda (for budget) or a wd black (for performance)

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

The drive works perfectly fine, It's the unlocked part that causes the issues. I just need to "wake up" my computer and do stuff on it

* 4930k * EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX * 32GB Corsair dominator platinum * ASUS Rampage iv Extreme Black Edition *
*corsair neutron GTX 240GB * Corsair force 3 60GB * WD black 1TB * WD green 3TB *

I think I found a solution but it's pretty bad. can work tough.. It's copying the small folders one at a time and not the whole 400GB of crap at once. works up to speeds of 50MB/s

I think I found a solution but it's pretty bad. can work tough.. It's copying the small folders one at a time and not the whole 400GB of crap at once. works up to speeds of 50MB/s

greens are the ecoline of WD, but it could also be caused by the fact that it is a part wich officialy isn't meant to acces.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This will happen with every HDD on the market. Barracuda and Blacks will perform 20-40 MB per sec more than a Green will. Especially when working with smaller file sizes.

My builds:

I'm transferring here RAW photos which are about 20MB each. Should I get a different HDD not for backup but for working on them?

I'm transferring here RAW photos which are about 20MB each. Should I get a different HDD not for backup but for working on them?

nah, you would need another drive if you access smaller data nonstop. For photos you load them once at the beginning a Green is doing the job just fine.

My builds:

There is a reason why they are called green drives. They both perform at lower speeds and have less performance compared to other WD Blacks for example. They perform better during small file transfers (Mine does anyway) so moving large 10GB+ files will take all day. Moving smaller onces will be faster but if you really want to do that, you should just buy a new Black drive. Greens are good as backup, file storage and games not so much.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

There is a reason why they are called green drives. They both perform at lower speeds and have less performance compared to other WD Blacks for example. They perform better during small file transfers (Mine does anyway) so moving large 10GB+ files will take all day. Moving smaller onces will be faster but if you really want to do that, you should just buy a new Black drive. Greens are good as backup, file storage and games not so much.

Doesn't seem he's moving the RAW pics, he's editing them and for this the green is completely fine. For games you lower loading times. Ingame you shouldn't experience issues with greens as well since the important data is stored into the RAM and just less important textures get loaded from the HDD. The biggest reason to go with a faster drive or an SSD is, when you want to higher the responsiveness of your computer in general.

My builds:

Doesn't seem he's moving the RAW pics, he's editing them and for this the green is completely fine. For games you lower loading times. Ingame you shouldn't experience issues with greens as well since the important data is stored into the RAM and just less important textures get loaded from the HDD. The biggest reason to go with a faster drive or an SSD is, when you want to higher the responsiveness of your computer in general.

I'm importing the pictures straight from my camera to this drive. Really no problem with small files.. but in chunks.. Pheew speed goes down to few KB/s. 

And I have all my games on that drive and they load quite fast..

I'm importing the pictures straight from my camera to this drive. Really no problem with small files.. but in chunks.. Pheew speed goes down to few KB/s. 

And I have all my games on that drive and they load quite fast..

are you batch-editing? like do you use a batch renderer to edit multiple files in one go?

Adobe Bridge does not count.

I just don't believe you will benefit from buying a new HDD. As long as you don't get an SSD you won't really profit and I don't recommend buying an SSD now since 3D-NAND chips are at the brink of getting released. Expect heavy price drops during the next year. Cope with it and if you are not satisfied with the performance, go for an SSD in a year or so. Price per GB will drop rapidly over the course of the next year. 3D NAND storage chips will be more reliable, faster and up to 30-40% cheaper than the current MLC NANDs.

My builds:

are you batch-editing? like do you use a batch renderer to edit multiple files in one go?

Adobe Bridge does not count.

I just don't believe you will benefit from buying a new HDD. As long as you don't get an SSD you won't really profit and I don't recommend buying an SSD now since 3D-NAND chips are at the brink of getting released. Expect heavy price drops during the next year. Cope with it and if you are not satisfied with the performance, go for an SSD in a year or so. Price per GB will drop rapidly over the course of the next year. 3D NAND storage chips will be more reliable, faster and up to 30-40% cheaper than the current MLC NANDs.

SSD's for a 400+ GB storage? Do you think I shit diamonds? xD 

The green works fine with storage but not with transferring so all I'm asking is if there's a way to make it transfer faster... 

SSD's for a 400+ GB storage? Do you think I shit diamonds? xD 

The green works fine with storage but not with transferring so all I'm asking is if there's a way to make it transfer faster... 

Like I said, expect hefty price drops during the next 1 to 1.5 years. Somewhere in the region of 30-40% per GB. That makes SSDs REALLY affordable. Just think, 120GB costs around 100$, 250 is somewhere around 180$, 500 will be around 300$, deduct 40% and you got a price that's incredible for the power you get. 3D NANDs will destroy the current generation pretty much instantly.

My builds:

Like I said, expect hefty price drops during the next 1 to 1.5 years. Somewhere in the region of 30-40% per GB. That makes SSDs REALLY affordable. Just think, 120GB costs around 100$, 250 is somewhere around 180$, 500 will be around 300$, deduct 40% and you got a price that's incredible for the power you get. 3D NANDs will destroy the current generation pretty much instantly.

Until the price drops here in Israel, It'll be at least 2 years.

when the GTX 780ti got released and the price of the 780 went down to $500, it took a few good months for the price to drop here.

I swear to god, in tech terms this country is a third wold one. 

I just buy a SSD and fill the rest up with WD Blacks ;)

Sorry for terrible English, I'm Norwegian   :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz | Motherboard: Old MSI Thing | RAM: 2x4GB | GPU: Old Nvidia 8800 GT Card | Case: Old Antex Thing THAT IS F*CKING luod! | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 2x 80GB Western Digital | PSU: Old Blonze Plus 500W | Cooling: Stock Fans
CPU: | Motherboard: | RAM: A | GPU: | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White | Storage: A | PSU: | Cooling: A
Headphones: HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset | Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z323
Displays: 2x BenQ 24" LED GL2450HE (on a AX Double Monitor Stand (AXM4100) | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 + Razer Manticor (and sometimes Corsair MM600)
Old/Reserve Pheripherals: SteelSeries Frost Blue Gaming Gear (Headset, Mousepad and Mouse) Webcam: Micosoft LiveCam Studio Business | Consoles: Wii + Play Station 3 + Play Station 4