Modems? Why?

Fax2u

Hey people.

I was looking for a good router and stumbled upon the asus RT-AC68U.
I'm from Israel, the ISPs here give you a router with a built in modem, Ofc that it's a shit one and It can't handle a few computers on LAN. 
I'm looking into buying a good router and it should support gigabit (future prof ofc) and need to have good up/down speeds. 
I found that routers need modems in the states.. or anywhere that's not this shithole. 

My question is: what router&modem to get? 
Usually the ones with a built in modem suck right? 

Thanks for all the help. 

* 4930k * EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX * 32GB Corsair dominator platinum * ASUS Rampage iv Extreme Black Edition *
*corsair neutron GTX 240GB * Corsair force 3 60GB * WD black 1TB * WD green 3TB *
* Corsair ax1200i * Corsair H100i * NZXT Phantom v2 *

They don't usaually suck at all it's just ISP's buy cheap routers to give to customers to get more profit.

Anything from ASUS or Netgear is pretty good but do look around as there are many obscure manufacturers who make very good kit.

Just make sure that it has a DSL port if you want the build in modem.

You can buy modems seperatly and connect them via WAN port or using a pfsense server but that is always more complex.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

They don't usaually suck at all it's just ISP's buy cheap routers to give to customers to get more profit.

Anything from ASUS or Netgear is pretty good but do look around as there are many obscure manufacturers who make very good kit.

Just make sure that it has a DSL port if you want the build in modem.

You can buy modems seperatly and connect them via WAN port or using a pfsense server but that is always more complex.

Does the modem speed matter? 

http://prntscr.com/3lme5f

* 4930k * EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX * 32GB Corsair dominator platinum * ASUS Rampage iv Extreme Black Edition *
*corsair neutron GTX 240GB * Corsair force 3 60GB * WD black 1TB * WD green 3TB *

Does the modem speed matter? 

http://prntscr.com/3lme5f

First, is your internet DSL? @Madgemade actually just assumed that without you saying.

Second, how fast is your internet Download and Upload speeds? (They are generally listed in Megabits per second)

The speed of the RJ-45 port on a modem can indeed be important. For example, if your download speed exceeds 100 Megabits, then a modem with a 10/100 port will act as a bottleneck and limit your overall speed.

As an example, I have 150 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Cable internet. Both my Cable Modem, and the WAN Port on my Router support 10/100/1000 Mbps speeds (Also known as Gigabit Ethernet). If I had purchased a router with a WAN port that only supported 10/100 Mbps, then I would be losing 1/3rd of my connection speed.

Personally I ALWAYS recommend buying a separate Modem and Router. For one, the best routers are stand-alone devices, and for two, you can upgrade your Internet without having to buy a whole new combo device. You simply get a new modem (Which are generally much cheaper than good Routers or even Combo devices).

If you have DSL, then the TP-Link modems are great. Just make sure to get one that supports the same level of service and speed that you pay for. IF you have Cable, then Thomson and Motorola are both good (I have a Thomson unit myself).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

First, is your internet DSL? @Madgemade actually just assumed that without you saying.

Second, how fast is your internet Download and Upload speeds? (They are generally listed in Megabits per second)

The speed of the RJ-45 port on a modem can indeed be important. For example, if your download speed exceeds 100 Megabits, then a modem with a 10/100 port will act as a bottleneck and limit your overall speed.

As an example, I have 150 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Cable internet. Both my Cable Modem, and the WAN Port on my Router support 10/100/1000 Mbps speeds (Also known as Gigabit Ethernet). If I had purchased a router with a WAN port that only supported 10/100 Mbps, then I would be losing 1/3rd of my connection speed.

Personally I ALWAYS recommend buying a separate Modem and Router. For one, the best routers are stand-alone devices, and for two, you can upgrade your Internet without having to buy a whole new combo device. You simply get a new modem (Which are generally much cheaper than good Routers or even Combo devices).

If you have DSL, then the TP-Link modems are great. Just make sure to get one that supports the same level of service and speed that you pay for. IF you have Cable, then Thomson and Motorola are both good (I have a Thomson unit myself).

Yes I have ADSL and I filter it to DSL of course. and I really want to future prof myself to gigabit internet cause I heard it's coming here. 

What router do you recommend with a 10/100/1000/gigabit port?

and my internet speed currently is 100up/10down..  But I actually get 60up/3down. 

Yes I have ADSL and I filter it to DSL of course. and I really want to future prof myself to gigabit internet cause I heard it's coming here. 

and my internet speed currently is 100up/10down..  But I actually get 60up/3down. 

I think you have FTTC (Fibre connection via telephone lines uses protocol called VDSL) because those speeds are impossible even on ADSL2+. Also I think you mean 60Mbps download / 3Mbps upload as no service I know of would give fast download and slow upload.

Please confirm you speeds as atm they can't be ADSL and that will highly restrict your options as If you do have fibre you will need a VDSL modem and few routers have these (I can still think of some though)

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

I think you have FTTC (Fibre connection via telephone lines uses protocol called VDSL) because those speeds are impossible even on ADSL2+. Also I think you mean 60Mbps download / 3Mbps upload as no service I know of would give fast download and slow upload.

Please confirm you speeds as atm they can't be ADSL and that will highly restrict your options as If you do have fibre you will need a VDSL modem and few routers have these (I can still think of some though)

They are indeed VDSL if his speeds are correct. Which isn't an issue. He just needs a VDSL modem. Frankly he shouldn't get a combo device anyway, so I don't see any problems.

As for a Router that has a 10/100/1000 Mbps WAN port, I'd highly recommend the ASUS RT-N66U or the RT-AC66U/AC68U models. They are just all around excellent, high performing, easy to use, and less expensive then other similar offerings from the likes of Linksys.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

These are my speeds as you can see http://prntscr.com/3lthzv

and that's what I want to future prof myself for http://www.haaretz.com/business/.premium-1.591878

It says it'll use optic fibers but I really don't know on how it connects to your router 

These are my speeds as you can see http://prntscr.com/3lthzv

and that's what I want to future prof myself for http://www.haaretz.com/business/.premium-1.591878

It says it'll use optic fibers but I really don't know on how it connects to your router 

Alright so for that screen shot of your speeds, definitely looks like you're using VDSL.

In terms of that news article, it requires subscription to view the entire article. But if it is Fiber to the Home (FTTH), then they'll provide you with a fiber-optic modem most likely, which will have RJ-45 Ethernet output. That would connect to the WAN port on your router via a regular Ethernet Cable.

Alright so for that screen shot of your speeds, definitely looks like you're using VDSL.

In terms of that news article, it requires subscription to view the entire article. But if it is Fiber to the Home (FTTH), then they'll provide you with a fiber-optic modem most likely, which will have RJ-45 Ethernet output. That would connect to the WAN port on your router via a regular Ethernet Cable.

So, until I get fiber, what modem should I get for 100mbps ?

So, until I get fiber, what modem should I get for 100mbps ?

Do you have a standard telephone line (RJ-11) going into the modem? If so, then you're using VDSL2. You'll need to look at a DSL modem that supports VDSL2.

This is just an example and is not necessarily recommended:

Zyxel Qwest Q100 VDSL2 Modem

You can basically pick any DSL modem as long as it supports VDSL2. You'll need to see what's available in your region, and definitely be sure to check out reviews and ask advice on here.

Can anyone else suggest some VDSL2 modems? I've never owned one. I would normally recommend TP-Link for DSL modems (Their ADSL modems are great) but it seems they only offer Wifi Router/Modem combo devices for VDSL2. While I'm sure they will work great as modems, and as "decent" wifi routers, it's a bit of a waste still since getting a stand-alone Wifi Router is always better if possible.

Do you have a standard telephone line (RJ-11) going into the modem? If so, then you're using VDSL2. You'll need to look at a DSL modem that supports VDSL2.

This is just an example and is not necessarily recommended:

Zyxel Qwest Q100 VDSL2 Modem

You can basically pick any DSL modem as long as it supports VDSL2. You'll need to see what's available in your region, and definitely be sure to check out reviews and ask advice on here.

Can anyone else suggest some VDSL2 modems? I've never owned one. I would normally recommend TP-Link for DSL modems (Their ADSL modems are great) but it seems they only offer Wifi Router/Modem combo devices for VDSL2. While I'm sure they will work great as modems, and as "decent" wifi routers, it's a bit of a waste still since getting a stand-alone Wifi Router is always better if possible.

http://prntscr.com/3mfget this is my modem&router combo. same device. and it does use VDSL as you can see. I don't know if it's VDSL or VDSL2. How can I check?

I just thought of a genius IDEA! 
disable wifi on my router&modem, and use it just as a modem. the router's problem is splitting the network cause It doesn't have enough computing power to do so.
So I'll get that Asus   RT-AC68U router and use mine as a modem. 
Will it work? I don't see a reason why shouldn't it work!

http://prntscr.com/3mfget this is my modem&router combo. same device. and it does use VDSL as you can see. I don't know if it's VDSL or VDSL2. How can I check?

Basically you can tell if it is VDSL1 vs VDSL2 in one easy way: VDSL1 only supports a max download speed of 50Mbps, whereas VDSL2 supports up to 100Mbps. So if your download speeds exceed 50Mbps then you likely have VDSL2.

I just thought of a genius IDEA! 

disable wifi on my router&modem, and use it just as a modem. the router's problem is splitting the network cause It doesn't have enough computing power to do so.

So I'll get that Asus   RT-AC68U router and use mine as a modem. 

Will it work? I don't see a reason why shouldn't it work!

Yep you can definitely do that. In fact, your modem probably has a "modem only mode" that disables gateway functionality (That would be wifi and routing, etc). You should check the user manual or call up the customer support line for the manufacturer and ask about it.

If it does NOT have a "modem only mode", then you'll want to disable a few things:

1. Wifi

2. DHCP

Then you'll want to plug the modem into the router's (The RT-AC68U is a great choice btw, but it may be a bit pricey) WAN port. You'll also want to make sure that both the modem and the router are on the same subnet. The Modem should have an IP address like this: 192.168.x.1 (x often = 0, 1, or 2, use whatever is default). Then the Router should be: 192.168.x.2 (ensuring that x = the same on both modem and router).

NOW if the modem does have a "modem only mode" then setting the IP doesn't matter.

Basically you can tell if it is VDSL1 vs VDSL2 in one easy way: VDSL1 only supports a max download speed of 50Mbps, whereas VDSL2 supports up to 100Mbps. So if your download speeds exceed 50Mbps then you likely have VDSL2.

Yep you can definitely do that. In fact, your modem probably has a "modem only mode" that disables gateway functionality (That would be wifi and routing, etc). You should check the user manual or call up the customer support line for the manufacturer and ask about it.

If it does NOT have a "modem only mode", then you'll want to disable a few things:

1. Wifi

2. DHCP

Then you'll want to plug the modem into the router's (The RT-AC68U is a great choice btw, but it may be a bit pricey) WAN port. You'll also want to make sure that both the modem and the router are on the same subnet. The Modem should have an IP address like this: 192.168.x.1 (x often = 0, 1, or 2, use whatever is default). Then the Router should be: 192.168.x.2 (ensuring that x = the same on both modem and router).

NOW if the modem does have a "modem only mode" then setting the IP doesn't matter.

Okay placed an order for the router ^_^ Finally getting a normal one and when fiber gets here i'll be ready. and I have a d-link router and I know the ip and all.. it's 10.0.0.138 btw, and I don't know if it has modem mode. so i'll look for it and help if you can. I can just disable wifi and all ports except one if it helps...

And another small question, can I plug mobile hard drives to the router's usb and use it as a sort of home server?

1. Wifi

2. DHCP

Okay placed an order for the router ^_^ Finally getting a normal one and when fiber gets here i'll be ready. and I have a d-link router and I know the ip and all.. it's 10.0.0.138 btw, and I don't know if it has modem mode. so i'll look for it and help if you can. I can just disable wifi and all ports except one if it helps...

And another small question, can I plug mobile hard drives to the router's usb and use it as a sort of home server?

For the ASUS RT-AC68U, the answer is most definitely yes. It also supports converting direct attach USB printers to share them on the network.

Some routers though, especially older ones, often only support one or the other (HDD share or Printer share).