My future planned AMD gaming/drafting build

Cabbage

Hi all,

I have planned a $2000 (Australian) computer build that I will be putting together in the next few weeks. This build will be for gaming, mostly minecraft, AAA's and will be upgraded in time for Star Citizen; and some drafting work for my part time job and my engineering degree, mostly AutoCAD but hopefully Inventor. I fully understand that an Intel 3570K is a much better processor to use but I feel the need to do something different with the Piledriver, to both bother my Intel fanboy mate and to support AMD in the hope that they get back on their feet. Is there any nuggets of advice you can offer or changes anyone would make? Bearing in mind that postage in Australia is expensive enough that I would prefer to use one source.

https://www.pccasegear.com/... Wish List

cheers,

Cabbage

PC Case Gear is the cheapest imo in Australia... NCIX costs too much to ship out to us :(

I have quite a few recommendations to make.

1. I assume you realise that with the Sabertooth, you are paying for looks.

2. Why are you getting a reference 7970? I recommend my own one, the Gigabyte Overclocked, which is like $30 more. AMD still gets supported by non-reference card purchases.

3. Why 1866 RAM? Why G.Skill? You will get same performance with Corsair Vengeance 1600 at $10 less, though it's negligible difference.

4. Why do you need an 850W PSU? Do you plan to add another 7970?

Why not this? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=19714

Also I would get the 8350 for like $25 more as well.

The 8350 will give you similar performance to a 3770K.

Cheers for the fast reply,

1. yeah I know that its a bit frilly. Is there a comparable ASUS that isnt as flashy? though I do not like blue on motherboards as I am annoyingly picky over the little things.

2. when I started making this list all other options were a deal more expensive and seem to have got closer thanks for that heads up.

3. the RAM speed comes from my experience with AutoCAD which is a RAM intensive program and this is what usually bottlenecks large drawings, I don't mind $10 more if I can gain a bit of piece of mind. as for G.Skill that is entirely aesthetic.

4. I chose the silverstone power supply as it incorporates additional capacitors in the PCI cables to smooth out the current to eliminate coil wind and similar porblems. the 850W is because they don't offer 750W and as an engineering student I like using large safety factors for everything regardless of wastage. lol

thanks again, I'll scrap the reference card and look for a different motherboard.

cheers,

Cabbage

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18661

Check that that motherboard has everything you need... it is a lot cheaper and appears to have the capabilities that you need.

This is what I personally would get, were I you:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18661

But I have a taste for those sorts of components.

Does the motherboard HAVE to be ASUS? Bear in mind, a motherboard is a motherboard; if it does what it needs to, be happy :P

This PSU is 750W and the same model line as the 850W you had in mind.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_995&products_id=15350

Again, though, 600W is more than sufficient, and this is also from the same product line:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_995&products_id=15349

Damn lots of products have been added since I starred that wish list. as for the ASRock I saw that they don't include SATA cables which just seemed so tight that it offended me. if you reckon the mobo is just as good than I'm more than happy to switch, money saved will go to the Razer keyboard fund. As for the power supply, I think 600W may be a bit low as I could full well add a second 7970. Overkill is underrated.

Once again thank you for your replies, its good to talk tech with people and I'm sure that's why this forum will be a hit.

Cheers,

Cabbage

p.s. that's a good looking wish list, though I've heard from many people, and agree myself, that an 8320 is the better option as it is essentially the same chip as the 8350 that is underclocked as the processing imperfections make it run a little too power hungry. As I am a child of this generation I don't really mind too much about small power efficiency gains where I can save a few bucks

Why dont you try Linux based OS such as Ubuntu or Fedora or if you really like the way windows looks stock try Zorin Core.

Try using LaTEX its a document compiler (results in publishable quality documents) or Open Office or LibreOffice if you dont want to learn how to wright in perhaps the simplest language.

This will save you 210 bucks which could be better spend on hardware like changing from the 8320 to the 8350 and changing from the 300Mbps to a decent dual band wireless pci-e card you could also get a h100i and ghetto rig it to the front intake fans. And you will still have change left over maybe a few pints :-)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Though I would love to save that much on just two products, I am limited due to compatibility. To my knowledge, AutoCAD does not run (or at least not well) on Linux, which is a shame as a friend of mine is a Linux fiend and has me mostly convinced to switch. I also have to create and modify documents and spreadsheets in my roll as a drafty for work and often times these have to align with legacy files that could easily break when bouncing between programs. However a H100i is most definitely on my one day list, along with a Razer Deathstalker, some more screens and a second 7970 [dare to dream right. lol]

Oh well, at least I already have a plentiful supply of good Australian beer to keep me company

Cheers,

Cabbage

In some things it is, in others they are more expensive.

I don't like them because they won't give me a job for some alarming reason :P

Nothing :(

I'm 18 now, looking thoroughly for a job, particularly in this field.

I've applied to numerous (at least fifty, probably more) places on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane and have only got a response from one store, which is disappointing.

I don't have any real credentials, though, other than completion of high school and my intention to start IT at QUT next year.

I was joking about me not liking MSY, but regardless even a courtesy 'no' email is more appreciated than nothing haha.

Their website claims four open positions, as well, which is confusing.

yea im trying to get into IT computer stores because i dont have the credentials but i would to get a job like u

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Lol, surely it isn't that hard to copy paste.

"Hi,

Unfortunately in response to your email, we have no positions available. We will retain your resume and cover letter in the event that one does become available.

Thank you for your patience,

John Smith,

Head of Win"

But no one likes to even bother with that :|

yea it bullshit i love building pc and trouble shooting plus i have just overclocked mine to 4ghz on 1.52 volts and cooiling it on a h60

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

I also found msy cheaper for some stuff but shipping to my place is an arm and a leg through msy

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

It really does depend. I think their GTX 690s are cheaper. It depends on how high-end you're going in my opinion.

If I were you, I'd drop the CPU cooler down to a 212 until you pick up your H100i - just my preference and saves a bit. Also as mentioned SilverStone do offer a 750W Strider Plus. I'd drop the ram to Vengeance low profile for about $10 less but other than that I can't see much wrong with that list although I don't know AMD's product list all too well.

Hey this is a pretty neat little build. Also what Razer Keyboard are you looking at getting? And also I would stick with buying from pccasegear its a favourite site of mine.

The dream is a Razer Deathstalker [i think thats the one]... the one with the baller screen touch pad and lcd screen buttons.