Pros and Cons: Hard Mouse Mats VS Soft

NerdNinja

What are the differences?

I've been debating for a new Mouse pad as I am using a laptop sleeve atm.

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Laser sensors function better on hard pads. Optical works well on either. Hard pads let your mouse glide much easier and are easier to clean. Hard pads can cause mouse feet to get scratched and wear out faster. Cloth pads give more control due to higher friction but are more susceptible to imperfections causing tracking errors. There also hybrid pads such as Zowie P-TF Speed, which I personally use and love. So, if you want to effortlessly move your mouse and want the best possible mousing surface, go hard. If you want more controlled experience requiring more force to move the mouse, but save the feet of the mouse, go soft.

Laser sensors function better on hard pads. Optical works well on either. Hard pads let your mouse glide much easier and are easier to clean. Hard pads can cause mouse feet to get scratched and wear out faster. Cloth pads give more control due to higher friction but are more susceptible to imperfections causing tracking errors. There also hybrid pads such as Zowie P-TF Speed, which I personally use and love. So, if you want to effortlessly move your mouse and want the best possible mousing surface, go hard. If you want more controlled experience requiring more force to move the mouse, but save the feet of the mouse, go soft.

I'm getting the Corsair M95. How long do you think the mouse pads would last?

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Steelseries QCK I've found is the way to go. I own both a Steelseries QCK Heavy, an Icemat V2 and a Steelpad 4S (the product that originally launched Steelseries). Both of the hard mats track absolutely phenomenally and when they work it feels like your mouse is gliding along on, well ice. (the Icemat does have problem with laser sensors but is great with optical sensors), especially the Icemat, however they both have a giant problem, comfort. You need fresh teflon gliders on your mouse and if a tiny speck of dirt gets caught between the mat and your mouse it makes a horrendous sound and hinders mouse action. The QCK on the other hand is always consistent. The amount of force it takes to move your mouse is a bit more than the hard surfaces, however it is always the same and it is dead silent, this is why it wins by far in my book.

I'm getting the Corsair M95. How long do you think the mouse pads would last?

The mouse pad will do just fine but the mouse feet... well, it depends on what kind of material are used, how big the feet are and which hard pad it is used on. I used a hard pad for about a year and there was a small amount of noticeable scratching on my mouse's feet.

You can hit people with hard mats /justsayin

The mouse pad will do just fine but the mouse feet... well, it depends on what kind of material are used, how big the feet are and which hard pad it is used on. I used a hard pad for about a year and there was a small amount of noticeable scratching on my mouse's feet.

Steelseries QCK I've found is the way to go. I own both a Steelseries QCK Heavy, an Icemat V2 and a Steelpad 4S (the product that originally launched Steelseries). Both of the hard mats track absolutely phenomenally and when they work it feels like your mouse is gliding along on, well ice. (the Icemat does have problem with laser sensors but is great with optical sensors), especially the Icemat, however they both have a giant problem, comfort. You need fresh teflon gliders on your mouse and if a tiny speck of dirt gets caught between the mat and your mouse it makes a horrendous sound and hinders mouse action. The QCK on the other hand is always consistent. The amount of force it takes to move your mouse is a bit more than the hard surfaces, however it is always the same and it is dead silent, this is why it wins by far in my book.

You can hit people with hard mats /justsayin

Ok so I think I'm gonna go with hard because

1. I like high sensitivity and I'm quick and twitchy when playing FPS games

2. Easy cleaning

3. The M95 has a laser sensor

Now my question for you three(and anyone else that reads this) is what would you recommend for a mat?

Ok so I think I'm gonna go with hard because

1. I like high sensitivity and I'm quick and twitchy when playing FPS games

2. Easy cleaning

3. The M95 has a laser sensor

Now my question for you three(and anyone else that reads this) is what would you recommend for a mat?

I have SteelSeries 4HD, very smooth glide. Too much actually, which is why is switched to a hybrid. The difference in tracking between hard and soft pads are barely noticeable, so that shouldn't be too big of a reason to get one. Picking a mouse mat is pretty much purely about speed (hard) vs. control (soft).

• 2 weeks later...

What are the differences?

I've been debating for a new Mouse pad as I am using a laptop sleeve atm.

I wudd recommend razer manticor mousepad because unlike cloth one u can clean it doesn't wear out over time lasts super long and tracking also doesn't wear out sometimes cloth ones tend to make mouses jump

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Look to see if people have problems on either with your model mouse. I used a hard pad for the last 6 years  It was not kind the the mouse feet.

I will be using Soft from now on. I just find it more comfortable. That said I am prepared to need to replace it much faster than my old had pad. 

Look to see if people have problems on either with your model mouse. I used a hard pad for the last 6 years  It was not kind the the mouse feet.

I will be using Soft from now on. I just find it more comfortable. That said I am prepared to need to replace it much faster than my old had pad.

I've noticed that corsair sells replacement pads. So I might not have an issue with the feet wearing down. Although I could be wrong

i havent had a hard mouse pad before, so this might be a bit biased.

GET THE RAZER GOLIATH CONTROL!!!

i have just gotten one & it is truely amazing for the price. it tracks really well & is much better than an average mouse pad. 10/10

corsair mm600

i havent had a hard mouse pad before, so this might be a bit biased.

GET THE RAZER GOLIATH CONTROL!!!

i have just gotten one & it is truely amazing for the price. it tracks really well & is much better than an average mouse pad. 10/10

I'll check them out. I was kinda thinking about one of those massive sized. Ouse mats from razor anyway.......

But for now I need to pinch my pennies because my brother took his laptop back and I have no system :(