Usb ASIC miner: are they worth it?

nope

Prepare for battle in BATTLEFIELD 4! All New Dog tags JUST LIKE THIS:

they were a year ago.

PC Specs:

New Compact Build

CPU: i7 8700k (Delidded)  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti ACX 3.0 Black  |  Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming  |  Case: EVGA Hadron Air    

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz  |  SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  |  Monitor: ASUS PB287Q

OS: Windows 10  |  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus  |  Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 5

Surface Book 2 15"

CPU: i7 8650U  |  GPU: GTX 1060M  |  RAM: 16GB DDR3

Divide the price by the G/hash.

Compare it to mining contracts and other ASIC's. You will find the small usb ASICS are complete highway robbery with their absurd price to hash ratio.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

what happened since then?

It got harder to mine and now to break a profit you need hundreds of Gigahashes.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Are they?

Not anymore they aren't crypto currency hasn't entirely vanished but prices are extremely low value. Not sure if asic is making money

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

what happened since then?

When the Mt. Gox exchange and wallet hosting collapsed, the value of cryptocurrencies plummetted and they really haven't recovered; meanwhile, pretty much the same amount of people are mining.  Translation, you need much more power to make the same amount of money, so much more, that you might break even on your power bills with USB miners.  After counting in the purchase cost and setup time, it just isn't worth it.

However, if you want to get some more serious ASIC miners that have a much better GHsh / Watts ratio, that is still worth it, granted that you can stomache the insane intial investment.  Personally, I'll just leave the mining to other people and just trade coin, you can make much more money for the effort that way.