750w modular PSU to much?

sn0re

I'm thinking of getting a 750w 80+ bronze modular PSU.I will also be putting Core i5 3570k and an AMD 7870,will 750w PSU be too much to cause a bottleneck?Or will it benefit me later? (If I want to expand HDD,lighting,SSD etc)

It won't be a bottlekneck, it will just be pointless. Even a 650W is overkill. You could easily use a good, well rated 500W unit and power that system just fine. What are your specifics, i.e fully modular, price range etc?

It won't be a bottlekneck, it will just be pointless. Even a 650W is overkill. You could easily use a good, well rated 500W unit and power that system just fine. What are your specifics, i.e fully modular, price range etc?
I'm getting a Core i5 3570k,AMD 7870,8GB RAM,1TB WD Blue,128GB SSD,and stuck on getting a Seasonic M12II 750w or getting a different PSU

Yea, if you want to SLI or CrossfireX in the future you could go with a 750W PSU, but if u are not planning on adding a second card its a waste of money to buy a 750W PSU, get like a XFX Pro Core 550W or a Corsair CX500W and u will be just fine running that system ;)

Yea, if you want to SLI or CrossfireX in the future you could go with a 750W PSU, but if u are not planning on adding a second card its a waste of money to buy a 750W PSU, get like a XFX Pro Core 550W or a Corsair CX500W and u will be just fine running that system ;)
It the card (7870) requires atleast 500w plus the CPU,650w would do fine right?

like dave said you wont need more than a 500watt, and you have room for more cooling, HDD and lighting too.. :)

as far as a very quick google search could tell me that PSU also comes in a 500watt edition. so grab that or spend a little more and get a gold certified PSU.. :)

(Comming soon)

It won't be a bottlekneck' date=' it will just be pointless. Even a 650W is overkill. You could easily use a good, well rated 500W unit and power that system just fine. What are your specifics, i.e fully modular, price range etc?[/quote']

I Would get one of these or a Seasonic x560 (or the 650 model if it is cheaper)

Also, the card will not require 500W. It will not pull that much. 500W to power your whole system, yes. For one card? Nah. :)

It won't be a bottlekneck' date=' it will just be pointless. Even a 650W is overkill. You could easily use a good, well rated 500W unit and power that system just fine. What are your specifics, i.e fully modular, price range etc?[/quote']

I Would get one of these or a Seasonic x560 (or the 650 model if it is cheaper)

Also, the card will not require 500W. It will not pull that much. 500W to power your whole system, yes. For one card? Nah. :)

I'm just trying to see if it will power the whole computer without and difficulty or bottlenecks (I'm a noob at building computers or knowing much about them D: ) and I'm getting a computer built by NCIX.

500w is perfect, as the others have said :)

PSU's don't create "bottlenecks" as such, the system will just not turn on. IIRC, NCIX test their systems before sending them out so even if you did get a too low wattage PSU, i'm sure they'd contact you about it.

Thanks :) I whenever i see peoples specs they somewhat have the same specs as me,and uses a larger PSU,does having a slightly larger (in watts) PSU change the computer in anyway?

Its never a bad thing to go a bit overboard on a PSU, the bigger it is the less stress is going to be put on it which in theory could mean a longer life. Though like others have said a 500W should be good enough, its just not a bad thing if you do buy a bigger one(just done get too silly!).

Yea its too much see my thread many people say it is too much even though I use i7 and gtx 660ti: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/cases-and-powersupplies/4009-good-750w-psu-preferably-under-100

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Its never a bad thing to go a bit overboard on a PSU' date=' the bigger it is the less stress is going to be put on it which in theory could mean a longer life. Though like others have said a 500W should be good enough, its just not a bad thing if you do buy a bigger one(just done get too silly!).[/quote']

A bit overboard is ok, but a lot overboard actually makes you have less efficiency. As shown in a TechTips video.

Thanks :) I whenever i see peoples specs they somewhat have the same specs as me' date='and uses a larger PSU,does having a slightly larger (in watts) PSU change the computer in anyway?[/quote']

No the computer doesn't change. As long as you have about 75w to spare you aren't going to be putting any stress on the PSU.

Its never a bad thing to go a bit overboard on a PSU, the bigger it is the less stress is going to be put on it which in theory could mean a longer life. Though like others have said a 500W should be good enough, its just not a bad thing if you do buy a bigger one(just done get too silly!).
Yes. This.

Its never a bad thing to go a bit overboard on a PSU' date=' the bigger it is the less stress is going to be put on it which in theory could mean a longer life. Though like others have said a 500W should be good enough, its just not a bad thing if you do buy a bigger one(just done get too silly!).[/quote']

A bit overboard is ok, but a lot overboard actually makes you have less efficiency. As shown in a TechTips video.

Thanks :) I whenever i see peoples specs they somewhat have the same specs as me' date='and uses a larger PSU,does having a slightly larger (in watts) PSU change the computer in anyway?[/quote']

No the computer doesn't change. As long as you have about 75w to spare you aren't going to be putting any stress on the PSU.

Where'd you get this "75w to spare" idea from?

No. 750W is NOT "too much".

1000W is not "too much".

2000W is not "too much".

There really is no such thing as "too much". They will all run your system. Even when idling at 20W. The only reason you don't need to buy a super high wattage PSU is because they're not really necessary, and you're spending more money on them and getting no extra system performance in return.

One exception to this is if you are a silence freak, since a PSU will tend to run cooler (thus keeping fan speeds down) if it is: A) More efficient, and B) further from it's maximum rated wattage. Might even keep your case a bit cooler too.

Longevity is also another reason you might want to overspend a little (although efficiency affects this more because of cooler temps)

I will always recommend to go "overkill" a LITTLE BIT on a PSU. Partially because in the world of power supplies it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Partially because I'm not going to upgrade my power supply until it DIES. I want to have some breathing room incase I decide to install a peltier cooler, or 50 fans, or a set of landing lights. I don't want to go waste money buying a new PSU if I want to run CrossFire or SLI in my next build. People tell you "oh 400w is fine", but they aren't thinking ahead. How often realistically do people buy a new PSU? Only when they have too. If you buy one new super quality, super efficient PSU with a bunch of extra wattage, it's not going to be tossed at teh next upgrade cycle. I've bought 3 power supplies in 12 years. TWELVE YEARS. I only just recently bought the last one because I am a silence freak and it was a good deal, but I didn't NEED it. Because I bought PSUs that were better than they needed to be in the first place, and I never had to worry about them.

Overspending a little bit on a power supply is not really overspending at all if you only have to buy one ONCE.

1000W is not "too much".

2000W is not "too much".

There really is no such thing as "too much". They will all run your system. Even when idling at 20W. The only reason you don't need to buy a super high wattage PSU is because they're not really necessary, and you're spending more money on them and getting no extra system performance in return.

One exception to this is if you are a silence freak, since a PSU will tend to run cooler (thus keeping fan speeds down) if it is: A) More efficient, and B) further from it's maximum rated wattage. Might even keep your case a bit cooler too.

Longevity is also another reason you might want to overspend a little (although efficiency affects this more because of cooler temps)

I will always recommend to go "overkill" a LITTLE BIT on a PSU. Partially because in the world of power supplies it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Partially because I'm not going to upgrade my power supply until it DIES. I want to have some breathing room incase I decide to install a peltier cooler, or 50 fans, or a set of landing lights. I don't want to go waste money buying a new PSU if I want to run CrossFire or SLI in my next build. People tell you "oh 400w is fine", but they aren't thinking ahead. How often realistically do people buy a new PSU? Only when they have too. If you buy one new super quality, super efficient PSU with a bunch of extra wattage, it's not going to be tossed at teh next upgrade cycle. I've bought 3 power supplies in 12 years. TWELVE YEARS. I only just recently bought the last one because I am a silence freak and it was a good deal, but I didn't NEED it. Because I bought PSUs that were better than they needed to be in the first place, and I never had to worry about them.

Overspending a little bit on a power supply is not really overspending at all if you only have to buy one ONCE.

Lol.

The reality is, money on a good PSU can go elsewhere.

It's better to get a 500W Gold PSU that powers your system fine over a 750 Bronze PSU that powers your system fine. Unless you're planning on SLI/Xfire.

Modularity matters more :P

1000W is not "too much".

2000W is not "too much".

Lol.

The reality is, money on a good PSU can go elsewhere.

It's better to get a 500W Gold PSU that powers your system fine over a 750 Bronze PSU that powers your system fine. Unless you're planning on SLI/Xfire.

Modularity matters more :P

my 650w PSU died recently. just died idk why, even though i run crossfire. i considered id go bigger, so i got and 850w gold ceft for 100 bucks on top of my RMA, i decided this because of

my crossfire,

overclocking the cpu and gpu.

you thought about over clocking in the future??

and buying a bigger PSu is a good Future investment. something to think about. u might be new to pcs now. but what about 4-5 years from now. saving money ;)

1000W is not "too much".

2000W is not "too much".

A 500W GOLD is likely more expensive than a 750W Bronze, and will have to work harder.

Would you try to use a tiny Honda engine in an F-150? No. Because it will die quickly when forced to work at max capacity all the time.

I'm not making this stuff up guys. I have seen PSU components melt during long gaming sessions I've seen an overheating unit take out an entire computer. Spending 20 or 30 dollars more for more watts is cheap insurance. I really don't understand why all you guys have such a problem with this concept. Why is everyone advocating small Watt units that are going to have to work so hard? It's not like I'm saying "GO BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE PCP&C PSU, U NEED IT!" I'm just telling them that it's OK to get a bigger supply if they want to.

This is just me trying to be helpful with my over 16 years of experience assembling, maintaining and using PCs of all sorts.

my 650w PSU died recently. just died idk why, even though i run crossfire. i considered id go bigger, so i got and 850w gold ceft for 100 bucks on top of my RMA, i decided this because of

my crossfire,

overclocking the cpu and gpu.

you thought about over clocking in the future??

and buying a bigger PSu is a good Future investment. something to think about. u might be new to pcs now. but what about 4-5 years from now. saving money ;)

OMG A RATIONAL WELL THOUGHT OUT COMMENT.

Sorry, but there's been a lack of sense in this sub-forum...

Thank you for actually THINKING about what you're trying to achieve with a new PSU and not just spouting some garbage about "you're wasting money" or "the PSU calculator says this".

No 750W is not too much, like you said it will help you later if you want to add more HDD's and/ or SSD's or even lights.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<

It the card (7870) requires atleast 500w plus the CPU' date='650w would do fine right?[/quote']

No, the card actually has a rated TDP of 150w, it's just that most manufacturers recommend getting at least a 500w power supply to power a system that includes the card.

Even with a bit of overclocking, the system actually would pull around 100w at idle, 350w at load. With reliability and headroom in mind, it's generally recommended to go for a 500w unit for powering that system as the unit would operate at ~60% load when the system is maxed out, plus will be at ~20% load under idle (40-50% under gaming load). It's a bit overkill already given the load levels (average of 50% load is generally recommend, with idle and load in mind), but still leaves a bit of headroom for upgrades, along with consideration of capacitor aging.

As for going overkill, there's nothing wrong with doing that either. The only drawback is that higher-wattage units cost more money, so I usually don't recommend it unless you have plans on making significant upgrades (in terms of power consumption) such as adding a second card. If you do want to have some headroom however, then you could stretch for a 650-750w. The M12II you mentioned is an excellent unit, so you should be fine there.