Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
1 hour ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

It may be wise to try the common list of mainstream anime that others often suggest first, as you probably won't appreciate them as much after you've watched a fair bit of anime. Here's a list of various anime (in no particular order or genre) to try if you want a respectable cross-section of what the medium has to offer to late-teens and older:

Fullmetal Alchemist (at least Brotherhood, both if you're patient)

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei

Monster

Mushishi

Spice and Wolf

Baccano!

Cromartie High School

Casshern Sins

Princess Tutu

Ergo Proxy

Dennou Coil

Le Chevalier D'Eon

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Usagi Drop

Azumanga Daioh

Gankutsuou

Trigun

Nana

Ghost in the Shell

Gurren Lagann

Kaiba

Last Exile

Texhnolyze

Kyousogiga

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Oh wow. Tks a lot for you list. It's your fault I won't see sunlight for a while

40 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

Oh wow. Tks a lot for you list. It's your fault I won't see sunlight for a while

Don't let the daystar dictate your life :)

There's plenty more where that came from, but if you find you like a particular anime more than others, feel free to hop back and we can help narrow down the recommendations.

40 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

Don't let the daystar dictate your life :)

There's plenty more where that came from, but if you find you like a particular anime more than others, feel free to hop back and we can help narrow down the recommendations.

6 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

It may be wise to try the common list of mainstream anime that others often suggest first, as you probably won't appreciate them as much after you've watched a fair bit of anime. Here's a list of various anime (in no particular order or genre) to try if you want a respectable cross-section of what the medium has to offer to late-teens and older:

Fullmetal Alchemist (at least Brotherhood, both if you're patient)

Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei

Monster

Mushishi

Spice and Wolf

Baccano!

Cromartie High School

Casshern Sins

Princess Tutu

Ergo Proxy

Dennou Coil

Le Chevalier D'Eon

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Usagi Drop

Azumanga Daioh

Gankutsuou

Trigun

Nana

Ghost in the Shell

Gurren Lagann

Kaiba

Last Exile

Texhnolyze

Kyousogiga

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Now I do agree a number of those are very good I don't i can agree with the demographic that you have chosen. 

Also they need to finish Nana already (Yes I know complications...) 

1 minute ago, TheProfosist said:

Now I do agree a number of those are very good I don't i can agree with the demographic that you have chosen. 

Also they need to finish Nana already (Yes I know complications...) 

Well, I intentionally picked anime not everyone can agree on, but which were well-regarded in their respective sub-genres.

Also some stuff that might be trickier to appreciate if you watch more modern anime first.

I just think it's more rewarding to try a broad sample of good anime so you know what you really like, rather than just sticking to safe popular/mainstream picks (and missing out on the better stuff that doesn't play it safe).

Yay, I finally had a few hours to watch some anime! Also, I remembered that I was going to read Vinland Saga again, now that it's progressed a lot further than when I initially gave it a quick look.

Space Patrol Luluco (3). so-so.
I'm not really sold on this show so far. It's not particularly funny or creative when you actually step back and view it as a whole, though it's fun enough to watch on a dumb, passive level. Will that be enough to warrant even an 8-minute-episode series? Hard to say. That may depend on whether the new addition to the cast gives the show a more entertaining dynamic.

Rinne (2). decent.
Pfft. "This is Yayoi. She has a tragic backstory". This episode was just a light one-off one; pretty fun, with decent comedy (though a bit too typical of the series). The episode's resolution was also too hokey for my tastes, but as far as one-off eps go, it was fine.

Big Order (1). mediocre.
Big Flailing Mess seems a much more apt title. People like to say that originality is overrated, but here we have obvious ripoffs of Geass, Jojo's Stands, and even a Yuno Gasai clone in an anime that's clearly not just a lame parody (it doesn't matter if the author also created Yuno, it's still lazy). On top of that, the narrative is aimless and boring for half the episode, only to suddenly start flitting all over the place without establishing anything that makes a whit of sense. The world was "destroyed" yet looks fine aside from some rubble, the characters are mostly imbeciles, and the author even has a transparent stand-in god character so they can change the rules whenever they want. Calling this hack writing would be incredibly kind. Now, none of this would matter if the anime wasn't taking things as seriously, or the MC was at least fun to watch... but it isn't, and he isn't. The MC is another black hole of charisma and personality, spending all but the final minutes of the anime being unmotivated and dull, and then suddenly deciding to just do what he didn't want to do like it ain't no thang. On top of that, there were no signs that this will be about morality, responsibility, or anything headier than simple wish-fulfillment (in a series that's about granted wishes, no less). Lest you think they were setting up some kind of tension or something, the MC easily dispatches everything and seems to already have a kooky fan club waiting to help him take over the world. Lame. And if that wasn't enough, the series doesn't seem to understand tone: an imouto is stabbed by a katana while inappropriate jazz is playing, and a yandere (sans the dere) virtually orgasms as the MC takes over her mind. Man oh man. The more I actually think about this episode the worse it comes across. Do yourself a favor and just turn your brain off entirely if you're going to watch this mediocre mess.

Girl Meets Bear (3). decent.
Heaven help me, I actually laughed quite a bit for half of this episode. Machi's "offering" to the mountain gods, Natsu's "trance" joke, etc. It was a nice surprise. The second half, on the other hand... well, it was dull at best, and bordered on creepy again. However, unlike episode one, where the creepy parts felt like they were just teasing kids and going a bit too far, here it came across like pointless fanservice at best. Oh well, at least half of it was good.

My Hero Academia (3). decent.
A surprising number of people are nitpicking this series' treatment of the word "hero". It's perplexing to me to see people act like "hero" must be a posthumous label, or that a person can't be a hero even without having a pure-hearted motivation. It's also quite disheartening to see people being even more childish than this series, and assuming that it won't address this kind of topic, despite the series having made it obvious that the "hero" label is a flawed one that will likely be addressed (and it will). I guess people are just intentionally ignoring that to act upset. Which is sad, because they really don't have to be mad about such non-issues; the show actually has a far more critical flaw that's grounds to lose faith in it already: the fact that they took pains to establish that it means something for the MC to be "quirkless", yet he gains a quirk here anyway, right at the start of the story. In other words the entire essence of the story thus far has been undermined, aside from giving Bakugou an irrational motivation to be an asshole to the MC. It's really a bait-and-switch on the premise of the series, which is usually a BIGGER problem than the "hero" label nonsense people are quibbling about. However, ignoring that botched plot point, the manga has done a decent job with the MC and All Might as being heros with a limited time in which they can use their powers, so in this case I don't consider that bait-and-switching a deal-breaker. All it really means is that we're getting a Spawn-type hero instead of a Batman-type hero. I've seen far worse bait-and-switches in anime.

Flying Witch (2). so-so.
I'll give this show one thing: it comes quite close to achieving a proper iyashikei atmosphere. The music, the bright, almost washed-out colors, the gentle mood, etc. Unfortunately, if that's what it's going for then it's mistaking "being soothing" with "doing nothing". This is a common complaint leveled at slice of life series, but it's legitimate. Tossing in a couple of atypical sights or sounds isn't really enough to entertain. I don't want to just watch a girl doing nothing of consequence, I want to be pulled into that mundane situation and shown it's intrinsic beauty. Not just watch an aloof average girl take a remedial cooking lesson and eat a simple tempura dish while telling me it's tasty. Now, iyashikei isn't an easy effect to pull off well, nor are they necessarily even aiming for that effect, but if I'm tapping my fingers waiting for you to get on with it then you're not even achieving entertaining slice of life, let alone iyashikei. If it wasn't for the sort-of cooking lesson, this episode would have been a complete flatline to me.

Bakuon (2). so-so.
What an awkward episode intro sketch. Seriously, that little girl would be the one with serious injuries in that situation (no full-face helmet, nor even a safety belt for your kid? WTF, otou-san?). And what was with that smooth jazz music while she worried her dad was dying, or the lame fake-out about whether he had, in fact, died? Honestly that bit was botched pretty badly and felt out of place to me. Not that it mattered much, since most of the ep was just more tiresome in-fighting including a lame game of chicken, which is as fresh and creative for a biker comedy as showing a tense fishing line getting cut in a show about fishing. Things kind of picked up a little near the end of the episode with dumb-girl's driving exam, but now that the weird "talking bike" sketch is being sunsetted, I can't see much of a draw left for this show. I'm outie.

Tomo-chan's a Girl! manga (c302-305). decent.
I'm glad they're playing up Carol's "mysterious lifeform" angle, as it's adding something to the series by hinting that she may not just be another aloof ojou-sama. It was also nice to see them address the whole thing about how English-speakers often struggle with English tests written for Japanese students (I didn't expect to see that in this series).

Mahou Tsukai no Yome (c28). great.
Now this is more like it. This manga's much better when it's just about Chise having a slice of life adventure with an interesting dimension to it that isn't just a simple set of cameos of magical creatures. No "drugs are bad mmkay?" stuff here, just what seems to be the setup for a nice take on a classic myth. I didn't even mind Chise's Mary Sue aspect because she addresses that it's actually for her own closure too, and it doubles as a way for us to see how she interacts with other creatures in this setting, rather than just a couple of magi and fae. It's the refreshing type of vaguely-unsettling supernatural slice of life that you don't get often in manga aside from stuff by Hitoshi Ashinano.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to manga (c15). so-so.
This was gearing up to be funnier than it ended up being, namely because they went for such a stock and disappointing thing as a groping joke. Oh well, can't win 'em all, I guess.

Vinland Saga (c1-49). great.
Yet another angsty gorefest where everyone has a tragic backstory, huh? Not so fast! This one actually does us the courtesy of actually being pretty compelling. The artwork is great, the characters aren't played up as anything more than the brutal douchebags they really are, and everything progresses in a natural way as they murder their way into Valhalla (or whatever each character's goals may be). Over time, the characters' nuances are established, and barring the sillier superhuman feats of strength and a few familial contrivances, it all feels like it could have happened. And yet, it's still a "saga", so it's hardly surprising it would mix in more mythical aspects of such a narrative with teases of real history; the surprise is that it's doing it quite well, with significant character introspection that makes it more than just another goofy shounen war series with a promising hook. It's clear that the author put a lot of care into this so far, which only adds to the effect. It may no be the most intelligent manga you'll ever read, but it's certainly something that I'll be able to recommend at this rate.

Well I just bought an old keyboard on ebay for basically 2  keycaps so hopefully this will be the start of my cowboy bebop radical Edward keyboard build

RDOTZ13.jpg

Its hard to find a keyboard with a long space bar and a big ass enter key lol

10 hours ago, Charger said:

Well I just bought an old keyboard on ebay for basically 2  keycaps so hopefully this will be the start of my cowboy bebop radical Edward keyboard build

RDOTZ13.jpg

Its hard to find a keyboard with a long space bar and a big ass enter key lol

Uh but thats eu layout. Big ass enter key is typical qwertz thingy.

9 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Uh but thats eu layout. Big ass enter key is typical qwertz thingy.

I think you are thinking of iso Im talking about the big ass enter (that is kind of its name lol)

this is what I bought 

uiyd6Q1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Charger said:

I think you are thinking of iso Im talking about the big ass enter (that is kind of its name lol)

this is what I bought 

http://i.imgur.com/uiyd6Q1.jpg

No. Thata default eu qwertz. Also extended right shift

german_black_chicony_keyboard_large.jpg

3 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

No. Thata default eu qwertz. Also extended right shift

ya that is the iso layout. not what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Thats the same god damn thing. Peasant.

iso enter and big ass enter are not the same lol

us uses ansi, eu uses iso and the big ass enter is kind of a combination of both that really is not used much any more was more used in asia.

20 hours ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

baccano.jpg

One of these is not the same as the others.

Lol you guys arguing about keyboards. Just another day on the club~!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

2 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

One of these is not the same as the others.

Lol you guys arguing about keyboards. Just another day on the club~!

No im trying to not kill this laptop since my new build is all across the country in ups vans. (Signature) Retire from the "gaming" community since its major consistent is 14y olds with too much money from mommy and daddy. 

Gonna do some retro games and that's it for the future. 

35 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

No im trying to not kill this laptop since my new build is all across the country in ups vans. (Signature) Retire from the "gaming" community since its major consistent is 14y olds with too much money from mommy and daddy. 

Gonna do some retro games and that's it for the future. 

Simple fix is to find a gaming community that isn't full of 12 year olds. 

Or get with a couple of friends and play a game together. @CatCloud @Vitalius @Daegun are all club members playing Black Desert Online right now, except Catcloud is on the EU server. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

3 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Or get with a couple of friends and play a game together. @CatCloud @Vitalius @Daegun are all club members playing Black Desert Online right now, except Catcloud is on the EU server. 

Mentaly 12. And it's  already set. Wouldn't sell a 390 if it wasn't certain to do this step.

4 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

or a single player game. I kind of want to get darksouls but I'm noticing that my video card is quickly becoming the minimum requirement for most new games

Lately I've been studying electronics for my career but the problem is that now I've become disinterested in it as a career option...

Sitting here now trying to think of something else that I might be able to do that would hold my interest... for the rest of my life...

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

4 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Lately I've been studying electronics for my career but the problem is that now I've become disinterested in it as a career option...

Sitting here now trying to think of something else that I might be able to do that would hold my interest... for the rest of my life...

Good luck with that.