Set up WiFi extender from ordinary router (but same SSID)

Christian

Hi everyone,

So it's pretty straight forward to set up a wireless extender by turning DHCP off. But i want to do it in a way that two or three routers would all actually work off the same SSID. I want to set up an N300 router i got for $10 upstairs, and have my main router downstairs. But i dont want to have my devices connect to the upstairs router when i am downstairs, and vice versa. Is there a way so that everything appears as only a single network. I know this is what happens in schools and such where there may be an access point in every room, but it all still only shows up as a single wireless network.

Thanks in advance 

:)

You'd want to set them up on different channels. Then you can go into the router config and change the SSID's of both the the same. That'll do the trick.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

I don't have a chance to test it now (in school). I'll try later or even tomorrow. Thanks

Ok so i've set it up with exactly the same SSID, security type (WPA-2 Personal) and password, yet it is still showing up as a separate network (even though they have the same name). And for some reason when it's connected i can't connect to the webpage of any 2 of my 3 routers, even though they all have different IP addresses: 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2. The only one i can connect to is 192.168.1.1. They are D-Link, Netgear and Linksys respectively. I have it set up so the Netgear is my cable modem, which connect out to my Linksys, which goes out to a switch, which then goes out to the D-Link. I am trying to get the Linksys and the D-Link appear as the same wireless network. The Netgear's wireless is turned on, but i want that to remain separate. And the Linksys is set to Channel 12, with the D-Link on Channel 6.

So after all that confusion, anyone got any ideas?

Edit: So it looks like i can reach the Netgear on its 192.168.0.2 IP, but still no luck with the D-Link. And for a strange reason when i was setting it up and had it plugged directly into my PC (and nothing else plugged into it), and i changed the IP, i couldn't get back into it. I had to reset it several times

Edit 2: Oh right and DHCP is turned off on the D-Link, but on on both the Netgear and Linksys.

Are you trying to make the  AP a repeater? If it doesn't have the repeater mode build in  then it cannot be done because all your doing is making an AP with the same name with another mac address. you need the same mac address name & security  oh and Channel.

"There's no test like production!"

Are you trying to make the  AP a repeater? If it doesn't have the repeater mode build in  then it cannot be done because all your doing is making an AP with the same name with another mac address. you need the same mac address name & security  oh and Channel.

You don't need the same MAC address, but you do need to be using the same channel, security and SSID. That should be enough, at least for me it is.

You could do static routing ...

set them all as different channels... If you have 3 routers providing access points, use channels 1,6,11.. You also want do disable any firewalls/dhcp on all routers except the main one..

Your devices will connect to the appropriate router with the highest signal strength automatically.. as long as the ssid and passcodes are all the same..

Goodluck

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

You don't need the same MAC address, but you do need to be using the same channel, security and SSID. That should be enough, at least for me it is.

You actually want to avoid using the same channel because by doing that, your just causing unnecessary interference.. a rule of thumb is to use channels that are 5 apart to remove any interference between them.

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

You actually want to avoid using the same channel because by doing that, your just causing unnecessary interference.. a rule of thumb is to use channels that are 5 apart to remove any interference between them.

My bad, you're right on that one. Has been a while since I configured my routers. 

FYI to op you don't have a repeater you cannot repeat your wifi. If you get a repeater it will clone the primary wifi settings.

FYI to op you don't have a repeater you cannot repeat your wifi. If you get a repeater it will clone the primary wifi settings.

Yeh that's what I wanted to do. So should I turn DHCP off on the Linksys, and let the Netgear handle that? But my phone and such tend to stay connected to the Linksys, even when im upstairs and the D-Link has a far stronger signal

Yeh that's what I wanted to do. So should I turn DHCP off on the Linksys, and let the Netgear handle that? But my phone and such tend to stay connected to the Linksys, even when im upstairs and the D-Link has a far stronger signal

Does the Router have Repeater mode of not then it wont work, it would set its self up after cloning the other AP