Why is it so hard to find a decent digital photo frame?

Spindel

Ok I know I might be laught at in this forum, but I feel I must do this topic anyway.

Why is it so damn hard to find a digital photo frame with a decent display. I (and probably most people) have more photos than ever. It is boring to have them on a hard drive or NAS somewhere, this is the use case of a photo frame where I can put a number of photos and just let them cycle trough with 15, 30 or 60 min delay. 

I have one photo frame that is 10 years old but started to die so I went on a hunt for a new one and it's almost impossible to find one with a decent display.

Problem nr 1:

Most photo frames you can buy are in 16:9. DAMN IT! I want one with 4:3 (or 3:2) that more closely resemble the aspect ration of 99,9% of my digital photos. I don't want photos shown in a letter box. 

Problem nr 2: 

Most displays are atrocious (a big bunch of them being TN panels). I want an IPS panel with good colour reproduction. 

Why is this a product that has gone out of fashion, is the demand really that small? I don't need a fancy OS, or connectivity. Just a decent internal memory (or expandability with SD, MicroSD cards) and the ability to randomize the pictures shown on the display. In other words just a dumb digital product. 

I've ordered one that on paper seems OK (wasn't cheap, could almost have bought an iPad). I hope I'm not disappointed when it shows up. 

Sorry just had to vent, and hope I chose the right forum section. 

21 minutes ago, Spindel said:

is the demand really that small?

Yes. Most people will just print their photos and put them in frames, they look great regardless of angle and lightning conditions, and it's cheaper than buying a digital photo frame. If you really want to you could make one yourself with a raspberry pi and a screen of your choice, but frankly enough most people don't see value in these devices.

just build it yourself. get a raspberry pie or some other ultra small and cheap computer attach it to the display then have it pull pictures from the network

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

18 hours ago, Spindel said:

Problem  #1:

Most photo frames you can buy are in 16:9. DAMN IT! I want one with 4:3 (or 3:2) that more closely resemble the aspect ration of 99,9% of my digital photos. I don't want photos shown in a letter box. 

probably because the majority of people take photos on their phone which is 16:9

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

probably because the majority of people take photos on their phone which is 16:9

What!?

Most phones I’ve come across take photos in 4:3. 

Just now, Spindel said:

What!?

Most phones I’ve come across take photos in 4:3. 

I'm thinking of video sorry :)

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Today I got my photo frame with a supposed ISP panel.

And I can tell you right away that this is no ISP panel (or the crappiest ISP panel the world has ever seen).