RAM for an older build

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
1 hour ago, Darrineth said:

Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings

Yea as i said, you can get higher frequency ram but they'll only run at 2133 sadly. you could just get another stick of ram (though mix and matching sticks is not guaranteed  to work)   but if you're getting a full kit for cheap then sure.

Hi,

Over 4 years ago I built a PC for a cousin of mine. The budget was kinda so I had to make some sacrifices. Relevant parts are:

Now he asked me to suggest a RAM upgrade and I'm at a bit of loss. The ark.intel page says the processor supports up to DDR4-2133. The motherboard's QVL page only lists DDR4-2133 sticks but it obviously hasn't been updated for quite some time. The first things that comes to mind is 2x8GB sticks but then what? Is there any point in going for higher frequencies? Will it even boot? As I cannot seem to find any reliable sources I would like to ask for Your help in the matter.

Higher frequency is better,

You can get two sticks of ddr4 ram for surprisingly cheap nowadays.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

1 hour ago, Yo soy Jack said:

Higher frequency is better

It's an H110 board..

I'm at a bit of loss

the 2133 for the cpu is just the base frequency, meaning anything over that is techincally an overclock and is not guaranteed, But, since they are using an H110 board, H110 only supports up to 2133, meaning even if you got a faster kit, it will only run at 2133 it will boot, but as i said, it will only run at 2133, also that board only has 2 dimms, so i assume you're replacing this current stick correct? (since you're getting a 2x8 gig kit).   

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

30 minutes ago, Haro said:

so i assume you're replacing this current stick correct? (since you're getting a 2x8 gig kit).   

Well yes that was my initial plan but only later I figured that higher frequency sticks might not post. Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings.

Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings

Yea as i said, you can get higher frequency ram but they'll only run at 2133 sadly. you could just get another stick of ram (though mix and matching sticks is not guaranteed  to work)   but if you're getting a full kit for cheap then sure.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: