• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darrineth

RAM for an older build

1 hour ago, Darrineth said:

Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings

Yea as i said, you can get higher frequency ram but they'll only run at 2133 sadly. you could just get another stick of ram (though mix and matching sticks is not guaranteed  to work)   but if you're getting a full kit for cheap then sure.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

Over 4 years ago I built a PC for a cousin of mine. The budget was kinda so I had to make some sacrifices. Relevant parts are:

Now he asked me to suggest a RAM upgrade and I'm at a bit of loss. The ark.intel page says the processor supports up to DDR4-2133. The motherboard's QVL page only lists DDR4-2133 sticks but it obviously hasn't been updated for quite some time. The first things that comes to mind is 2x8GB sticks but then what? Is there any point in going for higher frequencies? Will it even boot? As I cannot seem to find any reliable sources I would like to ask for Your help in the matter.

1 hour ago, Yo soy Jack said:

Higher frequency is better

It's an H110 board..

I'm at a bit of loss

the 2133 for the cpu is just the base frequency, meaning anything over that is techincally an overclock and is not guaranteed, But, since they are using an H110 board, H110 only supports up to 2133, meaning even if you got a faster kit, it will only run at 2133 it will boot, but as i said, it will only run at 2133, also that board only has 2 dimms, so i assume you're replacing this current stick correct? (since you're getting a 2x8 gig kit).   

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, Haro said:

so i assume you're replacing this current stick correct? (since you're getting a 2x8 gig kit).   

Well yes that was my initial plan but only later I figured that higher frequency sticks might not post. Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings.

Posted · Best Answer

Still I might be able to get 2x8GB kit with better timings

Yea as i said, you can get higher frequency ram but they'll only run at 2133 sadly. you could just get another stick of ram (though mix and matching sticks is not guaranteed  to work)   but if you're getting a full kit for cheap then sure.

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.