High CPU temps but low CPU utilization

::Dan::

I realize that this topic has been posted before but none of the threads I've searched for has helped so far, so I'm here asking for some help.

I've used Afterburner, HWMonitor and HWiNFO and they all show high temps on CPU, while below 10% utilization from Task Manager. Attached images of HWMonitor and HWiNFO

1699012368_CPUTemp1.png.3a32bc018fa9e341151a2aca361942ec.png496489873_CPUTemp2.png.fb3161e7833e15f062ca6fc7989791b0.png

I've reapplied thermal paste on the CPU cooler but temps still hasn't improved much. CPU idle temps around 65~75 Celsius and CPU fan running on 100% speed, 2000RPM

I've reloaded the default settings to BIOS but still the same. CPU voltage is the default and hanging around 1.36~1.4V

The highest temp of 95 Celsius is when I ran a stress test but HWiNFO shows there isn't any thermal throttling happening.

My specs are:

Mobo: ASUS TUF B450M PRO GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Cooler: Stock Ryzen Cooler

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3000Mhz

GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro RX480

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this, can anyone point a direction? Much appreciated for any help given

Update: Switched power mode from AMD Ryzen High Performance to AMD Ryzen Balanced (apparently even this Ryzen balanced mode has minimum processor power of 99%?) and then now to Windows balanced mode, power consumption dropped from 50W+ to ~34W, it's still high but an improvement. CPU Voltages are all below 1.3V at idle. CPU temps dropped a bit, ranges from 55~65 Celsius now.

Another thread I found said to enable SVID in BIOS but I can't find SVID in my BIOS at all, it says without SVID it can't monitor the CPU properly. Still trying to figure out what I can do with BIOS

Just now, Jeppes said:

CPU fan max rpm on load?

Yes it's on 100% speed

Just now, ::Dan:: said:

Yes it's on 100% speed

RPM? If its the low speed variant with 1800rpm, the temps are most likely normal.

I would make sure your thermal paste is legit. Some thermal pastes being sold on Amazon are fake. Do not buy from market sellers but buy shipped by Amazon or other major retailers. The fake thermal paste was causing high temps.

3 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

RPM? If its the low speed variant with 1800rpm, the temps are most likely normal.

BIOS shows that CPU fans are running at 2000RPM at 100%, is that normal?

2 minutes ago, theKatKatShow said:

I would make sure your thermal paste is legit. Some thermal pastes being sold on Amazon are fake. Do not buy from market sellers but buy shipped by Amazon or other major retailers. The fake thermal paste was causing high temps.

First time I noticed the problem was with the stock cooler thermal paste. I just bought a CoolerMaster thermal paste and reapplied, still not much difference.

1 minute ago, ::Dan:: said:

BIOS shows that CPU fans are running at 2000RPM at 100%, is that normal?

Yes. They put out two kinds of stock coolers, one with near 3000rpm fan on 100% and that lower speed one. You can undervolt it manually to reduce power consumption or buy a better cooler.

2 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Yes. They put out two kinds of stock coolers, one with near 3000rpm fan on 100% and that lower speed one. You can undervolt it manually to reduce power consumption or buy a better cooler.

Oh I guess I was worried for nothing. I guess I might get a new cooler and see if temps improve. Thanks for clarifying!

14 minutes ago, Deli said:

Seems odd the CPU is only at 3% load but drawing 53w.

Thats what I was thinking. Seems like its boosting or overclocking. Maybe try a bios update?

How tightly is it screwed in? Until you feel a stop on each screw?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Allard said:

Thats what I was thinking. Seems like its boosting or overclocking. Maybe try a bios update?

Uh I did a BIOS update before but I guess I can try to update it via Internet? I'm not that comfortable doing BIOS updates but I'll try.

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

How tightly is it screwed in? Until you feel a stop on each screw?

Yes I stopped when the screws stopped turning

27 minutes ago, Deli said:

Seems odd the CPU is only at 3% load but drawing 53w.

Is it something solved by BIOS update?

Idling at 1.3-1.4v is normal for ryzen CPU, at stock speeds

How's your case airflow? Try opening side panel while it's running and see if temps improve

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, ::Dan:: said:

If there is nothing else open except HWinfo or Ryzen Master. My 3600 usually draws less than 10w. I'm not sure what is going on with yours.

4 minutes ago, ::Dan:: said:

Not necessarily, but if something was to fix it. It would be a bios update.

As for it being scary. 

Just dont think about it too much. Make sure you go to the manufacturers website and follow simple steps. Some mobo's also have a built in system in the bios. 

And if you want to be 1000% safe. Dont touch pc and don't switch on any large power electronics in your house. Like blenders and such.

10 minutes ago, Deli said:

If there is nothing else open except HWinfo or Ryzen Master. My 3600 usually draws less than 10w. I'm not sure what is going on with yours.

This might be something to look at, I'll go search around Google to see what's happening. When you say power draw it's "Package power" right?

10 minutes ago, Allard said:

Not necessarily, but if something was to fix it. It would be a bios update.

As for it being scary. 

Just dont think about it too much. Make sure you go to the manufacturers website and follow simple steps. Some mobo's also have a built in system in the bios. 

And if you want to be 1000% safe. Dont touch pc and don't switch on any large power electronics in your house. Like blenders and such.

I just did a BIOS update but nothing much changed, if anything.

3 minutes ago, ::Dan:: said:

This might be something to look at, I'll go search around Google to see what's happening. When you say power draw it's "Package power" right?

Yes.

8 minutes ago, Deli said:

Yes.

Thanks. I found a thread that tells me to look for SVID in my BIOS but apparently I can't find it to save my life even with the search function. That's so weird