help! need a recommendation for upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
5 minutes ago, naughtybitch37 said:

yes, i think i got wrong describing the problem, first the cpu will be upgrade with the motherboard too since nehalem and haswell have different slot, and my target gpu is 1050 ti at max because of the budget. my point to upgrade is how to stick to DDR 3 as long as it possible. I'm not really expecting to get any of RTX even the cheapest one because its for personal use and i don't need them (yet), maybe i'll get the RTX but not in this short time

i'm so sorry for this

I think I might get it.  it’s not about getting into the envelope of modern games but staying out of it for cost reasons.  Currently haswell still works for modern games and likely will until the consoles are released.  The chips that are currently too slow to play modern games are the non k 4/4 chips, which explains the i5 4570. It would be vastly less expensive right now.  Likewise the non z boards that would fit it.  The problem with this plan currently is only the high end of the 30xx GPUs have been so much as announced, and AMD’s response is not even out of wraps. 

Because of this low end GPUs have not yet reached the obsolescence point you need for your plan to work.  A 4570 can easily handle a rx580 or even more, and those are still non obsolete GPUs.  I would say to balance a 4570 a 1070 wouldn’t be unreasonable.  It’s going to be a bit before such things really get cheap though. 

I'm using this setup almost 5 years from now.

core i3-540

GT 240

Samsung 4GB 1600Mhz

this pc is very tough, almost every game that release below 2013 can run on this flawlessly 60 fps with medium setting (not all of them but average result is 60 fps at max even in low setting).

and because recently new rtx is out, i'm considering to upgrade slowly from the gpu, and the next is upgrading the cpu to i5-4570 any recommedation that doesn't make any bottleneck to the next cpu ? (even though i really don't care about bottleneck in my since the old cpu will be upgraded very soon after the gpu). or is there any tips what part do i need to upgrade first ?, my pc is often using for gaming but sometimes design too like photoshop and illustrator for hours.

Waiting for any response, Thank you in advance.

my cute beast : i3 - 530 3.2GHz | Gt 240 4gb | msi h55m-e21 | samsung 2x2GB | toshiba 500GB 7200 | greatwall 400W | unknown standart case from 2010 | Lenovo thinksvision L197 | Digital Alliance Meca 8 TKL | Digital Alliance Luna X2 | Shady chinese Headphone (but the sounds is good)

i know its old and have some crappy part, but it can run crysis tho.

I'm using this setup almost 5 years from now.

core i3-540

GT 240

Samsung 4GB 1600Mhz

this pc is very tough, almost every game that release below 2013 can run on this flawlessly 60 fps with medium setting (not all of them but average result is 60 fps at max even in low setting).

and because recently new rtx is out, i'm considering to upgrade slowly from the gpu, and the next is upgrading the cpu to i5-4570 any recommedation that doesn't make any bottleneck to the next cpu ? (even though i really don't care about bottleneck in my since the old cpu will be upgraded very soon after the gpu). or is there any tips what part do i need to upgrade first ?, my pc is often using for gaming but sometimes design too like photoshop and illustrator for hours.

Waiting for any response, Thank you in advance.

Bad news I’m afraid.  Upgrading that machine is not useful.  The systems it uses are too different and even if various parts of it could be improved they cannot be improved enough to make them useful.  You would get a cheaper better faster system by building new. 

even your upgrade path won’t work because the motherboard you have (but didn’t mention) won’t fit the chip you want to upgrade to.  That cpu is either nehellam or westmere.  If I knew what motherboard you had I could tell you the fastest chip that would fit, but it won’t be fast enough to make use of a 30xx gpu.  Best financial move with any budget, limited or not, would be to either buy an entire new machine, or use that one till it dies and do nothing to it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Bad news I’m afraid.  Upgrading that machine is not useful.  The systems it uses are too different and even if various parts of it could be improved they cannot be improved enough to make them useful.  You would get a cheaper better faster system by building new. 

even your upgrade path won’t work because the motherboard you have (but didn’t mention) won’t fit the chip you want to upgrade to.  That cpu is either nehellam or westmere.  If I knew what motherboard you had I could tell you the fastest chip that would fit, but it won’t be fast enough to make use of a 30xx gpu.  Best financial move with any budget, limited or not, would be to either buy an entire new machine, or use that one till it dies and do nothing to it. 

yes, i think i got wrong describing the problem, first the cpu will be upgrade with the motherboard too since nehalem and haswell have different slot, and my target gpu is 1050 ti at max because of the budget. my point to upgrade is how to stick to DDR 3 RAM as long as it possible because in my country DDR 3 compatible part is far cheaper than DDR4. I'm not really expecting to get any of RTX even the cheapest one because its for personal use and i don't need them (yet), maybe i'll get the RTX but not in this short time

i'm so sorry for this

my cute beast : i3 - 530 3.2GHz | Gt 240 4gb | msi h55m-e21 | samsung 2x2GB | toshiba 500GB 7200 | greatwall 400W | unknown standart case from 2010 | Lenovo thinksvision L197 | Digital Alliance Meca 8 TKL | Digital Alliance Luna X2 | Shady chinese Headphone (but the sounds is good)

yes, i think i got wrong describing the problem, first the cpu will be upgrade with the motherboard too since nehalem and haswell have different slot, and my target gpu is 1050 ti at max because of the budget. my point to upgrade is how to stick to DDR 3 as long as it possible. I'm not really expecting to get any of RTX even the cheapest one because its for personal use and i don't need them (yet), maybe i'll get the RTX but not in this short time

i'm so sorry for this

I think I might get it.  it’s not about getting into the envelope of modern games but staying out of it for cost reasons.  Currently haswell still works for modern games and likely will until the consoles are released.  The chips that are currently too slow to play modern games are the non k 4/4 chips, which explains the i5 4570. It would be vastly less expensive right now.  Likewise the non z boards that would fit it.  The problem with this plan currently is only the high end of the 30xx GPUs have been so much as announced, and AMD’s response is not even out of wraps. 

Because of this low end GPUs have not yet reached the obsolescence point you need for your plan to work.  A 4570 can easily handle a rx580 or even more, and those are still non obsolete GPUs.  I would say to balance a 4570 a 1070 wouldn’t be unreasonable.  It’s going to be a bit before such things really get cheap though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hello guys, I have an Acer Aspire 5741Z that is really except for a  Shit mic. Should I upgrade it to Windows 8 or 10? I have the Heidoc ISO downloader . Specs of the laptop are: 

Intel Pentium P6000

320 GB hard drive 

Windows 7 Home Basic

Please also tell whether I need to backup my files??

Varun

46 minutes ago, Varun19 said:

Hello guys, I have an Acer Aspire 5741Z that is really except for a  Shit mic. Should I upgrade it to Windows 8 or 10? I have the Heidoc ISO downloader . Specs of the laptop are: 

Intel Pentium P6000

320 GB hard drive 

Windows 7 Home Basic

Please also tell whether I need to backup my files??

Varun

This might go better in its own thread

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

well thanks for the tips dude, i might considering rx580. I was thinking about that too because the price of AMD graphic is cheaper than Nvidia with almost the same performance, i would think of that. Thanks again, have great day kind stranger

6 minutes ago, naughtybitch37 said:

well thanks for the tips dude, i might considering rx580. I was thinking about that too because the price of AMD graphic is cheaper than Nvidia with almost the same performance, i would think of that. Thanks again, have great day kind stranger

Been thinking idly about this since the post.  It’s an interesting way to do gaming.  I kind of like it.
One would want h or b series intel motherboards atm.  They’ll be well under $100. Might be able to pick up a pretty good one. Might even be able to go higher.  Newer stuff.  Anything that won’t take a six core or overclock.  I don’t remember what came after the -97 boards but they might be worth a look.  4/8 that overclocks will still play modern games (barely) and a board that supports a chip that can will have the current gamer premium attached.  The trick seems to be avoiding that.  GPUs may open up in a month or three.  2080tis have dropped from 1200 to 600 but apparently they’re back to 7 or 8 or something. If a game comes out that a given gpu can’t play, that gpu will drop in price very hard.