Weird hardware disconnect sound and screen goes black for a second

A1200

OK so I started out with an H77 / i7 3770k rig then changed to an Z390 i9 9900k. I hate reinstalling windows so let it set up new devices. Spec is now:

• CiT Dark Star Midi Case
  • Intel i9 9900kf
  • Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
  • ASUS Dual Fan GeForce RTX2070 EVO 8GB
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (2x16gb) DDR4 3000MHz C16
  • 3x Noctua NF-S12A PWM case fans
  • Corsair RM650x PSU
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB boot drive
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB data drive
  • Microsoft Kbd / Mouse
  • Philips 273V 27” 75Hz IPS Monitor
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

(see full details here: here )

But when Windows has booted, if I leave it on the login screen for several seconds, you get the hardware disconnected sound, just like when you pull out a USB device, the monitor goes blank for a second then comes back on  - sometimes with the (re)connect sound as if its found new hardware. If I log in quick enough, it does it on the desktop. It only does it once after booting so it isn't overly annoying, just annoying. I have read some people really struggle when this is constantly happening when their PC is on - on mine it is just once when Windows has first come to life. After that, nice solid, stable machine

I googled this and main culprits seem to be:

• Bad connection to monitor
  • Gfx card drivers
  • USB hub controller allowing sleep to save power
  • caps in the monitor degrading
  • Too high an overclock (no overclock running)
  • Setting internal gfx to be first in BIOS (I have no internal gfx - "f" chip)

So, I have:

• Tried 3 different monitors (both brand new - one LG / 2 different Philips)
  • Tried HDMI to HDMI
  • Tried DVI to DVI
  • Changed the graphics card from a brand new RTX2060 to an RTX2070
  • Turned off all power/sleep on device manager I could see
  • Used DDU to uninstall drivers and tried a) native windows driver on both gpus b) tried the game ready driver on both c) tried the studio driver on both
  • I have turned off all that push install crap that Asus can do to install armoury crate and asus-q etc
  • Unhidden all hardware devices and uninstalled anything not plugged in no more
  • Used USBDeview to remove old USB devices
  • Changed keyboard and mouse and made sure all was removed except these
  • Ran with and without XMP

In the end.... in the end.... I reinstalled Windows - put MS office/photoshop/adobe reader/steam - basic stuff on the machine. Installed the Geforce Studio drivers. Not sure when in the process it started but it seems to be happening again.

Look, this won't kill me but how annoying. Originally I mis-specced and had an i7 9700F / H310M originally which is now in my work rig - that is fine. The RM650x has been in the 3770k setup/the 9700F setup and this one, so I don't think its the PSU either. The motherboard is the only question mark for me. What fault could cause something so consistent though? GPU Tweak II which I know isn't considered good, if I have that installed and login quick enough it comes up with a load vender.dll fail please install VGA driver - so I bet that's related as after its done the disconnect noise/black screen for a moment, you can run GPU Tweak 2 fine. I don't have that installed now, nor did I install AI Suite 3 etc. since reinstalling.

Anyone got any clues? I bet this gets a lot of views as there is lots of similar posts online - as for a fix, I am thinking I may have to live with it.

Edited by A1200
Just realised the link was to my work machine, not my home one - doh!

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

1 minute ago, A1200 said:

After that, nice solid, stable machine

then leave it alone it's fine , no computer is perfect. thats a really small problem that could be bigger if you mess with it

Trying to fix it might cause more problems. If its only 1 time I would leave it.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

@emosun @Smit Devrukhkar

Thanks for your kind words but when it happens it sets something off in me. I can't just leave it. So I am hoping to buy my way out of this... Just ordered a Aorus Z390 Pro and an RM750x to give a little more headroom should I want to do a little overclocking down the line. I will report back when the components have been swapped out! 

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

I have swapped out the motherboard and the PSU and happy to say it has cured the issue - in fairness the Aorus Z390 Pro is more suitable to the i9 9900k(f). There was a casualty in the process sadly. The Prime Z390 I was putting the CPU socket cover on and in haste didn't lift it up first and damaged the pins - it was acting odd anyway but I think with a more basic cpu and gpu it would have been fine. Ah well these things happen.