Casting From Windows 10 to Smart TV

Midevil Chaos

Hi all. I have this tv: Model UN58NU6080F. It's a Samsung 58 inch. Samsung's rep looks lost as hell when I asked for assistance. I am sure there must be a way for to me cast from my Windows 10 PC to my tv. However, the tv keeps giving me an error msg saying the pc wasn't able to connect to the tv. Either a direct cast or the connect options do nothing so far - sometimes, it looks like it's gonna connect, it even has a random cursor on the top left (not my mouse's though). His solution was... reset to factory defaults... Obviously, that changed nothing. I knew it wouldn't.

Any Windows options I can modify?

29 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Hi all. I have this tv: Model UN58NU6080F. It's a Samsung 58 inch. Samsung's rep looks lost as hell when I asked for assistance. I am sure there must be a way for to me cast from my Windows 10 PC to my tv. However, the tv keeps giving me an error msg saying the pc wasn't able to connect to the tv. Either a direct cast or the connect options do nothing so far - sometimes, it looks like it's gonna connect, it even has a random cursor on the top left (not my mouse's though). His solution was... reset to factory defaults... Obviously, that changed nothing. I knew it wouldn't.

Any Windows options I can modify?

This may be a word choice problem.

I suspect the “lost as hell” thing is coming from the term “cast”. It implies you are trying to make your own TV signal, not simply use your TV as a monitor.  Aside from being very difficult and very illegal in a lot of places it’s a weird Rube Goldberg way to go about things. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This may be a word choice problem.

I suspect the “lost as hell” thing is coming from the term “cast”. It implies you are trying to make your own TV signal, not simply use your TV as a monitor.  Aside from being very difficult and very illegal in a lot of places it’s a weird Rube Goldberg way to go about things. 

Uhm what? I am talking about the integrated function Cast from Windows 10. You know, like when you cast stuff FROM your PC to your tv. I don't know what you're talking about or referring to.

3 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Uhm what? I am talking about the integrated function Cast from Windows 10. You know, like when you cast stuff FROM your PC to your tv. I don't know what you're talking about or referring to.

Think of a word other than “cast” perhaps. It sounds like you are merely trying to use your TV as a second monitor but have adopted some marketing term no one uses.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Think of a word other than “cast” perhaps. 

Dude. What the hell are you talking about???

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Think of a word other than “cast” perhaps.

Cast is the correct term here. As in Miracast or Chromecast. It means to either mirror a display wirelessly, or using one device as a remote and playing media on a separate device.

3 minutes ago, badreg said:

Cast is the correct term here. As in Miracast or Chromecast. It means to either mirror a display wirelessly, or using one device as a remote and playing media on a separate device.

Thanks for backing me up, because I have no clue what the other guy is talking about lol.

31 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Dude. What the hell are you talking about???

It seems self explanatory.  I’m saying the person at Samsung was likely flummoxed by the word “cast”, which is not a common term as used.  If you want to use wifi as a connection to send data to your tv you want a wifi monitor connection.  If you want to run a cable to the tv that’s an external secondary monitor connection.  Things a given TV may or may not be capable of. 

22 minutes ago, badreg said:

its definitely A term.  Apparently not one that is used even by you though since miracast and chromecast are apps.  Specifically names created for apps by marketers. It appears to be a term that describes an effect rather than a methodology. Useless to someone dealing with technology.  These sorts of things have been done for more than 20 years.  Long befor a marketing term lik “cast” (being short for broadcast apparently) which is misleading in concept.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It seems self explanatory.  I’m saying the person at Samsung was likely flummoxed by the word “cast”, which is not a common term as used.  If you want to use wifi as a connection to send data to your tv you want a wifi monitor connection.  If you want to run a cable to the tv that’s an external secondary monitor connection.  Things a given TV may or may not be capable of. 

its definitely A term.  Apparently not one that is used even by you though since miracast and chromecast are apps.  Specifically names created for apps by marketers. It appears to be a term that describes an effect rather than a methodology. Useless to someone dealing with technology.  

Windows 10 itself uses the term "Cast to device". It's not a marketing term - the term Cast when referring to tv's is very common. The Samsung agent seemed lost as in, he didn't know how to resolve the issue.

2 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Windows 10 itself uses the term "Cast to device". It's not a marketing term. The Samsung agent seemed lost as in, he didn't know how to resolve the issue.

So? Microsoft has marketers too. Your statement that it is therefore a commonly understood term because a company used it is silly.  

At any rate we know what wants to be done.  You want the TV to act as a monitor.  Do you want to do this via wifi or use a cable?  Do you want to mirror what is on the main monitor, act as a separate monitor? Or act as a desktop extension of the main monitor? All of these require different approaches (which is why “cast” is kind of stupid) windows10 may have a utility called “cast” but it will do one or several of these things.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So? Microsoft has marketers too. Your statement that it is therefore a commonly understood term because a company used it is silly.  

At any rate we know what wants to be done.  You want the TV to act as a monitor.  Do you want to do this via wifi or use a cable?  Do you want to mirror what is on the main monitor, act as a separate monitor? Or act as a desktop extension of the main monitor? All of these require different approaches (which is why “cast” is kind of stupid) windows10 may have a utility called “cast” but it will do one or several of these things.

I am trying to cast whatever is on my desktop. Movies more than anything, as I have a collection (any device that could use a dvd player is in my room). I cannot use a cable, as my tv is like 7 or 8 metres away. So... gotta do it via wifi.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It appears to be a term that describes an effect rather than a methodology. Useless to someone dealing with technology.

Do you have a problem with the term "Wi-Fi" as well? Evidently not, because you have no problem using it. Wi-Fi is also a marketing invention and its name tells nothing about its technical implementation.

The only difference between "Wi-Fi" and "cast" is how long they have been in the public consciousness. Nevertheless, the phrase "casting to another device" is not new, and has been relatively well understood for at least the last five years. When OP says "cast", I immediately understood that to mean that the goal is to connect to another device wirelessly, either to mirror an entire display or to play media on one device using another device as an input. It certainly does not mean to connect a display with a cable.

The "cast" in Miracast and Chromecast essentially mean the same thing. Even if it is a marketing invention, the fact that multiple companies use the term in the same way is evidence of adoption. That's what I mean when I said that cast is the correct term to describe what OP is trying to do. The fact that a CS rep did not understand the term has no relevance here. OP is asking the forum for help, which presumably has greater technical knowledge than an average CS rep.

And just think about how difficult it would be to ask this question without using the word "cast". The right-click context menu of a media file in Windows 10 literally has an option to "Cast to Device". Is OP supposed to say "I tried right-clicking and selected 'Toss to Device' but all I got was a black screen. Please help"?

For some reason, my AV decided to turn on the firewall (initially, I had turned off the actual firewall I used to see if I could cast and it wouldn't work). When I realized that the AV had turned on the firewall, is started casting fine once I disabled the firewall from the AV.

18 hours ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I am trying to cast whatever is on my desktop. Movies more than anything, as I have a collection (any device that could use a dvd player is in my room). I cannot use a cable, as my tv is like 7 or 8 metres away. So... gotta do it via wifi.

So wifi mirror. OK.  That means the TV has to have wifi, and it has to have an app on it to covert the signal passed over the wifi network to monitor signal.  The computer has to have the same.  The app that does the signal conversion also has to be the same or compatible.  There might possibly be a standard for such.  I don’t know.    Also when the wifi is in use for connecting the monitor it likely cannot be used for internet as well, so a hardline connection will probably need to go to the internet router. 

51 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So wifi mirror. OK.  That means the TV has to have wifi, and it has to have an app on it to covert the signal passed over the wifi network to monitor signal.  The computer has to have the same.  The app that does the signal conversion also has to be the same or compatible.  There might possibly be a standard for such.  I don’t know.    Also when the wifi is in use for connecting the monitor it likely cannot be used for internet as well, so a hardline connection will probably need to go to the internet router. 

Good to know. Well, it stopped working again :( I do have an Ethernet cable hooking into the PC. May just have to get a Chromecast at this point, honestly.

5 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

Good to know. Well, it stopped working again :( I do have an Ethernet cable hooking into the PC. May just have to get a Chromecast at this point, honestly.

What stopped working again?

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What stopped working again?

I had gotten it to work by disabling the AV's firewall (which shouldn't have been on in the first place, as I use another third party firewall), but my wife turned off the tv after a while and the cast was interrupted obviously. So, later I tried again (and it wouldn't work, even after turning off both firewalls). Still doesn't after restarting different devices :/ Including the PC.

13 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

I had gotten it to work by disabling the AV's firewall (which shouldn't have been on in the first place, as I use another third party firewall), but my wife turned off the tv after a while and the cast was interrupted obviously. So, later I tried again (and it wouldn't work, even after turning off both firewalls). Still doesn't after restarting different devices :/ Including the PC.

“It” remains undefined.  “AV” stands for “audio/visual” normally and isn’t a noun so I’m not sure what the AV is either.  Both the PC and the TV would likely have firewalls. The pc through windows defender or some third party app, and the TV through whatever machine is embedded in it to make it “smart”.  rokus are not unusual, though it could be anything I suppose. 

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

“It” remains undefined.  “AV” stands for “audio/visual” normally and isn’t a noun so I’m not sure what the AV is either.  Both the PC and the TV would likely have firewalls. The pc through windows defender or some third party app, and the TV through whatever machine is embedded in it to make it “smart”.  rokus are not unusual, though it could be anything I suppose. 

AV means antivirus, I thought it was pretty self-evident in this case... There is no reason for me to use the term audio-visual here lol.

3 minutes ago, Midevil Chaos said:

AV means antivirus, I thought it was pretty self-evident in this case... There is no reason for me to use the term audio-visual here lol.

No there isn’t.  So confusion ensued. I can deduce I think that the anti-malware software you are talking about is on the PC (there may also be some on the TV. “Smart” appliance generally means there’s a whole embedded computer in there).

This implies you got it working once, so things are much simpler.

samsung has a faq list for this product it seems 

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/UN58NU6080FXZC/

I’m finding the specs section more useful than the actual Frequently Asked Questions. 

The computer in your tv seems to be totally proprietary.  The thing uses bixby which is a Samsung exclusive thing.  There is no other descriptor I could find other than “Samsung smart tv” which may also be its own thing. It also turns itself off automatically after a period of time apparently. So your wife turning the thing off would be merely foreshortening the inevitable.

The wifi system is apparently called “anynet+“ And the system that “casts” may be “tvdirect”. I’m not sure. These are terms that reperesentitive at Samsung may be more familiar with. 

None of those things are useful unfortunately. Even their app does nothing at all. It says "you've input the wrong code too many times" when you've actually put the right one once. Like wtf? Their software is garbage. I just uninstalled it after trying it. I have no patience for that crap. They make amazing tvs, you'd think they would know who to hire to create a good app.

I was pointing them out as alternative terms for “cast” that the Samsung person might be more familiar with. If the app has been removed though I don’t know what could possibly be done.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I was pointing them out as alternative terms for “cast” that the Samsung person might be more familiar with. If the app has been removed though I don’t know what could possibly be done.

At this point, my goal isn't trying to use a Samsung app (as those are just gonna stop working at some point). Rather, I am looking for a free alternative to Emby. Or even Plex, as Plex for example, only allows it to be Cast via Chromecast.

Just now, Midevil Chaos said:

At this point, my goal isn't trying to use a Samsung app (as those are just gonna stop working at some point). Rather, I am looking for a free alternative to Emby. Or even Plex, as Plex for example, only allows it to be Cast via Chromecast.

Would depend on what hardware is in the TV.  Stuff has to be written to run.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Would depend on what hardware is in the TV.  Stuff has to be written to run.

Everything I have tried so far works, but isn't the greatest though in terms of UI or functionality.