CPU not boosting and getting low frequency, why???

gorrett

So I am currently using a intelcore-I5-8250U it has a base frequency of 1.60Ghz and turbo up to 3.4Ghz my problem is that when i do any sort of 3d render the cpu only utilizes 83% specifically 83%and doesn't pass that. And the frequency it shows is 1.49Ghz i'm wondering what the problem is and from trouble shooting i can't find what could be causing this problem please help 

2005146037_2020-09-25(6).thumb.png.789b5cb7ca68905994fed9c2f7ac0b64.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

but once the system is idle the frequency jumps back to being normal and boosts to 3.4Ghz but only when the cpu is not under load

560066260_2020-09-25(18).thumb.png.1a19d7cfcdd6f4111823978f6026151d.png

I also have power settings set to windows ultimate performance setting as shown below

1463301560_2020-09-25(21).thumb.png.026589a04375f42330f26e98e1878d32.png

It's thermal throttling mate.

I don't know if it's normal in your laptop, but you should check the CPU temps, download something like core temp and you should see if it goes over the max temp (it should be around 100c)

Also MAX POWAH!!!

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

10 minutes ago, gorrett said:

So I am currently using a intelcore-I5-8250U it has a base frequency of 1.60Ghz and turbo up to 3.4Ghz my problem is that when i do any sort of 3d render the cpu only utilizes 83% specifically 83%and doesn't pass that. And the frequency it shows is 1.49Ghz i'm wondering what the problem is and from trouble shooting i can't find what could be causing this problem please help 

but once the system is idle the frequency jumps back to being normal and boosts to 3.4Ghz but only when the cpu is not under load

I also have power settings set to windows ultimate performance setting as shown below

Install Intel Power gadget and monitor your temps. I have a 8250U myself and it can get pretty toasty under load. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

it's either thermal or power limit (i suspect power limit since the usage is pretty flat)

task manager monitors cpu usage based on base frequency, so your base is 1.8, while your cpu is limited to run at 1.5, that's why you see "83%" usage, when it's actually fully loaded

1.5 / 1.8 = 0.83

for thermal limit, you'll see CPU clock speed fluctuate, but yours (based on cpu usage) is pretty flat

so it's probably a power limit

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it's either thermal or power limit (i suspect power limit since the usage is pretty flat)

task manager monitors cpu usage based on base frequency, so your base is 1.8, while your cpu is limited to run at 1.5, that's why you see "83%" usage, when it's actually fully loaded

1.5 / 1.8 = 0.83

for thermal limit, you'll see CPU clock speed fluctuate, but yours (based on cpu usage) is pretty flat

so it's probably a power limit

Yeah i look at  the core temps and across all cores its around 60c. but if its power limit how to i resolve it. I should probably mention by now that i did use intel XTU but i only increase the amount of power it could use but later deleted the app since i suspected that of possibly being the one responsible

1 minute ago, gorrett said:

but if its power limit how to i resolve it.

you cant if it's limited by your laptop's manufacturer

edit: and shouldnt

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

you cant if it's limited by your laptop's manufacturer

edit: and shouldnt

wew that sucks, though it makes sense. seems like op has plenty of thermal headroom to work with, theres no way to unlock the usual boost clocks as a "permanently" allowed boost frequency? i forget the terminology

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

theres no way to unlock the usual boost clocks as a "permanently" allowed boost frequency?

depends on manufacturer, but they set the limit for a reason and removing it could potentially overload the VRM

CPU temp is only part of the story.

6 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

wew that sucks, though it makes sense. seems like op has plenty of thermal headroom to work with, theres no way to unlock the usual boost clocks as a "permanently" allowed boost frequency? i forget the terminology

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

depends on manufacturer, but they set the limit for a reason and removing it could potentially overload the VRM

Ditto.

i5-8250U, at "stock" is rated at 15W TDP, BUT can be configured DOWN to 10W, or UP to 25W.

The i5-8250U (and similar CPUs) is usually put into low-powered and thinner notebooks / laptops, where battery up-time is priority.

Example, my Lenovo ThinkPad T480 has a i5-8250U in there, and they advertise "up to" 14.5 hours of battery life (and ~30 hours with the larger battery pack).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

thanks a lot, it does suck if i cant change it. but the thing is it sometimes would boost to 3.4ghz and that is while its at 100% so i don't know what has changed since to cause this

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if that would overheat the vrms wouldnt running at the normal boost clock for any decent amount of time overheat it as well? if so thats some impressive corner-cutting but makes sense to limit it

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Ditto.

i5-8250U, at "stock" is rated at 15W TDP, BUT can be configured DOWN to 10W, or UP to 25W.

The i5-8250U (and similar CPUs) is usually put into low-powered and thinner notebooks / laptops, where battery up-time is priority.

Example, my Lenovo ThinkPad T480 has a i5-8250U in there, and they advertise "up to" 14.5 hours of battery life (and ~30 hours with the larger battery pack).

the TDP is only 7W though whenever its rendering, the full spec of my system is a lenovo ideapad 330s-15Ikbm with 4 and 8gb ram (12gb) 2400Mhz ddr4, intel uhd graphics 620 and the stated cpu

4 minutes ago, gorrett said:

but the thing is it sometimes would boost to 3.4ghz and that is while its at 100% so i don't know what has changed since to cause this

different instruction requires different amount of power to run, so your CPU can boost higher for some tasks

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

if that would overheat the vrms wouldnt running at the normal boost clock for any decent amount of time overheat it as well? if so thats some impressive corner-cutting but makes sense to limit it

refer to above

plus, single core boost isnt gonna draw as much power as all core under load

when your task manager says '5.0GHz', that's the highest clock speed core, not all core

you need cpu-z to monitor individual core freq

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

different instruction requires different amount of power to run, so your CPU can boost higher for some tasks

refer to above

when your task manager says '5.0GHz', that's the highest clock speed core, not all core

yeah ik, but it seems like op's isnt boosting during heavy workloads at all. in XTU cant you set the tdp to a higher limit to allow for longer sustained boost clocks? even if you only end up with like 2ghz all core in renders thatd be at least a little improvement

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

refer to above

Alright so i just did a stress test using intel xtu and across all cores I'm getting 100% as well as the clock speed was around the 3ghz mark its dropped to 2 ghz now but this is confusing because blender renders only uses 83% at 1.5ghz

5 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

XTU cant you set the tdp to a higher limit to allow for longer sustained boost clocks?

not familiar with XTU to comment, but probably not if it's locked in firmware

6 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

but it seems like op's isnt boosting during heavy workloads at all.

because of... power limit...

4 minutes ago, gorrett said:

Alright so i just did a stress test using intel xtu and across all cores I'm getting 100% as well as the clock speed was around the 3ghz mark its dropped to 2 ghz now but this is confusing because blender renders only uses 83% at 1.5ghz

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

yeah ik, but it seems like op's isnt boosting during heavy workloads at all. in XTU cant you set the tdp to a higher limit to allow for longer sustained boost clocks? even if you only end up with like 2ghz all core in renders thatd be at least a little improvement

I

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

not familiar with XTU to comment, but probably not if it's locked in firmware

because of... power limit...

soi just realised something...and it makes me feel kinda dumb, moonzy you were right about it being power limit. with the position i have my laptop charger plugged in i am not able to see it. it turns out it was just plugged out, i was starting to get really worried and wondered if somthing was wrong with my cpu since i only recently upgraded nothing should have been happening. Thanks alot guys i probably wouldn't have found out that it was plugged out until it died, i tested it while it was pluggedin and the frequency did go up to 3.34ghz and then i plugged it out and it dropped to the exact 83% 1.5ghz i'm really sorry for wasting your time on a mistake as dumb as this

2 minutes ago, gorrett said:

it turns out it was just plugged out

ah, didnt think about catching that

been too long since i dealt with mobile stuff

but yea, your laptop limits power when it's on battery to preserve the battery's lifespan

3 minutes ago, gorrett said:

i'm really sorry for wasting your time on a mistake as dumb as this

all good, no need to apologise

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

ah, didnt think about catching that

been too long since i dealt with mobile stuff

but yea, your laptop limits power when it's on battery to preserve the battery's lifespan

all good, no need to apologise

thanks a lot again for the help

haha thats great, glad it works fine. have a good day!

topics i need help on:

Spoiler