A new AMP and 2RCA to 3.5mm jack

LazyMonk

I am looking for a new AMP, but as to seeing that some of the recommended AMP/DAC solutions have an USB input and some only 2RCA I am kinda confused. The question is, I have only got a 3.5mm jack in the back of my motherboard. If I've got a 3.5mm jack to 2RCA cable would it work for higher impedence headphones like the DT990 Pro from beyerdynamic and the AMP. I am looking at the LOXJIE P20 amp for this

Don't get the loxjie. Get a better amp/DAC combo instead. The ifi zen dac or the Schiit fulla. 

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

I think you are confusing dacs and amps. The sole purpose of an amp is to provide power to headphones; there is 0 signal processing done by an amp. A dac meanwhile decodes digital audio (i.e. music on your computer) to analog signals (sound that can be heard through headphones) and is therefore not effected by headphone impedance. The outputs off the back of your motherboard (3.5mm, RCA, etc) are all using your computer's built in dac, which then sends the analog signal over to the dac/amp combo. Since you're already sending analog signals over, the "dac" part of your dac/amp combo isn't actually being utilized as there's no digital audio to be decoded. Also, your motherboard's dac is likely nowhere as good as a dedicated one, so you want to send the audio over USB or optical from your motherboard to a dac/amp combo if possible. 

Adding onto the above user's recommendations, also look into the objective 2 and topping dx3 pro.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

1 hour ago, Airdragonz said:

I think you are confusing dacs and amps. The sole purpose of an amp is to provide power to headphones; there is 0 signal processing done by an amp. A dac meanwhile decodes digital audio (i.e. music on your computer) to analog signals (sound that can be heard through headphones) and is therefore not effected by headphone impedance. The outputs off the back of your motherboard (3.5mm, RCA, etc) are all using your computer's built in dac, which then sends the analog signal over to the dac/amp combo. Since you're already sending analog signals over, the "dac" part of your dac/amp combo isn't actually being utilized as there's no digital audio to be decoded. Also, your motherboard's dac is likely nowhere as good as a dedicated one, so you want to send the audio over USB or optical from your motherboard to a dac/amp combo if possible. 

Adding onto the above user's recommendations, also look into the objective 2 and topping dx3 pro.

Yeah I know that there is a difference between DAC and AMP, I was just wondering if my theory was even possible. I got recommended K3 (E30) FiiO DAC/AMP combo because of its impedence of 300Ohm, it can drive my DT990 pro's for a reasonably low price. I am unfortunately on a tight budget and located in the Netherlands , the objective 2 is out of stock and topping DX3 pro about 50 euro's more expensive unfortunately. But thanks for the help, that's all I needed to hear. (If you got any other tips for a starting audiolover shoot away)

3 hours ago, LazyMonk said:

I am looking for a new AMP, but as to seeing that some of the recommended AMP/DAC solutions have an USB input and some only 2RCA I am kinda confused. The question is, I have only got a 3.5mm jack in the back of my motherboard. If I've got a 3.5mm jack to 2RCA cable would it work for higher impedence headphones like the DT990 Pro from beyerdynamic and the AMP. I am looking at the LOXJIE P20 amp for this

The type of connector is irrelevant. That Amp you list is spec'c for 600mw @ 64 ohm. How much power do you need? 

Don't get the loxjie p20. Get something like a monoprice liquid spark or a magni3+ . Ultimately which one depends on which headphones you get

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

Don't get the loxjie p20. Get something like a monoprice liquid spark or a magni3+ . Ultimately which one depends on which headphones you get

Yeah was thinking of just paying more and getting the ifi Zen dac, for my DT990 Pro

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

The type of connector is irrelevant. That Amp you list is spec'c for 600mw @ 64 ohm. How much power do you need? 

Well I am getting the DT990 Pro for now, but I am willing to upgrade to the HD600 down the line. That's why I was looking for a 600Omh amp, but I am thinking of getting an ifi Zen DAC

31 minutes ago, LazyMonk said:

Yeah was thinking of just paying more and getting the ifi Zen dac, for my DT990 Pro

Rlthe Zen Dac is good and will power the 250 ohm 990 fine but  I kinda like to preach how good the liquid spark is especially if you live in North America due to it's sonic qualities and power it's does a lot that be the current best pairing at $100 amp wise