Is now a good time to upgrade?

Hi guys (and gals),

I was wondering the other day if now is a good time to upgrade my old editing rig. Like, building a new computer. My rig is getting quite old (I'm still rocking an i7 3770k and a GTX 1070) but editing on it is still fine to the most part (at least when working with ProRes footage and/or Proxys). Still, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of potential workflow and rendering speeds.

So on to my question. Is now a good time to upgrade my machine to an i9 10900k based machine or rather is there any upcoming big hardware change or breakthrough that is worth waiting for a couple more months?

Maybe you guys can give advice on that topic. Thanks in advance.

I mean Zen 3 and RDNA2 is coming this October so it's worth waiting considering that your system should still do well in games, especially with an overclock on the i7

why do yo want to go intel ryzen 3900x is a good cpu fpr video editing

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean Zen 3 and RDNA2 is coming this October so it's worth waiting considering that your system should still do well in games, especially with an overclock on the i7

Do people expect a considerable advantage over the new RTX 30xx Series cards with RDNA2? Also gaming really isnt the main priority for me. Also I will probably stay with Intel for compatibility (still running a dual booted hackintosh machine lol).

4 hours ago, Gartenschlauch said:

Do people expect a considerable advantage over the new RTX 30xx Series cards with RDNA2? Also gaming really isnt the main priority for me. Also I will probably stay with Intel for compatibility (still running a dual booted hackintosh machine lol).

We don't know yet but chances are AMD will offer better value just like they did with rx 5700XT which is priced like a 2060 super but performs like a 2070.

22 hours ago, Gartenschlauch said:

Pretty sure you can get hackintosh to work on Ryzen nowadays ;)

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.