Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMachineof88

Budget AMD Gaming Build (CPU Undecided)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Budget (including currency): INR 35,000

Country: India

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: RPGs, Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, FIFA 21

Other details

Motherboard:  ASRock B550M Pro4 (INR 12,000)

RAM: XPG Spectrix D50 16GB (8GBx2) 3200 MHz (INR 6,800)

Storage: 960GB Samsung SATA SSD, 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM (existing)

GPU: Galax GTX 1660 Super (INR 16,500 - pre-owned)

Monitor: AOC I2269VWM 1080p 60 Hz (OC'd to 75Hz) (Will change this in the future)

PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W (existing, can be reused?)

CPU: Undecided

 

For the CPU, I picked up a pre-owned (claiming new) Ryzen 7 3800X from the marketplace but ended up not getting an invoice. Contemplating selling this and getting a Ryzen 3 3100 for now and purchase the 4000 series Ryzen 5. Or should I just use the 3800X and not care about the upgrade? (I won't lose money on the CPU if I sell it).

 

Any suggestions?

 

Thank You!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheMachineof88 said:

Or should I just use the 3800X and not care about the upgrade

the 3800x is a very capable chip. Keep it.


please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread      imgflip account

website     folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

 

laptop: macbook air 13.3”

Spoiler

            RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

            CPU: Intel Core i5 2557M

            SSD: 128GB

            OS: Ubuntu 20.04

            Status: Retired PC

desktop: operation badger

Spoiler

            RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

            CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

            SSD: 256GB

            GPU: Radeon RX 470 OC

            OS: Windows 10

            Status: Main PC

            Cinebench score: 3428

            Temps: CPU idle 45C, load 75C, top 85C. GPU idle 50C, load ~65C*.

(*Playing Minecraft it goes to 50C and haven't stressed it yet, so this is a guesstimate)

 

 

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at benchmarks for the games you want to play, and then ask if the amount you would get from selling this cpu net you a profit high enough to get a reasonable cpu and a better gpu than the one you have planned. 
 

My guesstimate tells me you probably wouldn’t or the work wouldn’t be worth the hassle.


CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

not a great b550 board

 

as for cpu, your system seems a bit unbalanced with a 3800x and a 1660s. a 3300x/3600 with a 2060 would make more sense.

1660S can also be swapped with a 2060 Super for some additional money. I think the 1660S is fine at 1080p (will upgrade to a 144Hz monitor in the near future). 3300X is nowhere to be seen and is borderline 3600 territory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, boggy77 said:

oh, I would totally replace this with something better quality.

I never really had any problems with it but is this *that* bad?

 

3 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Look at benchmarks for the games you want to play, and then ask if the amount you would get from selling this cpu net you a profit high enough to get a reasonable cpu and a better gpu than the one you have planned. 
 

My guesstimate tells me you probably wouldn’t or the work wouldn’t be worth the hassle.

If I just go by the benchmarks, a Ryzen 3600 is more than adequate but by selling and buying a new 3600, I'll save enough (or just slighly less) to have a 2060 Super pairing. (or just sell the 3800x and get the 3100 since that would also give me playable frame rates until the 4th gen comes along?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheMachineof88 said:

I never really had any problems with it but is this *that* bad?

 

If I just go by the benchmarks, a Ryzen 3600 is more than adequate but by selling and buying a new 3600, I'll save enough (or just slighly less) to have a 2060 Super pairing. (or just sell the 3800x and get the 3100 since that would also give me playable frame rates until the 4th gen comes along?)

yeah, the psu is pretty bad, and it's also used. I suspect it's not covered by warranty anymore. you're willing to spend quite a lot on your new components, i'd advise you to get a good quality psu to make sure it doesn't damage your shiny new components.

in my mind, a 3600 + 2070 super makes more sense than a 3800x + 1660 super.

you might want to wait for the rtx 3070, as it should be the same price as the 2070 super, but much much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, boggy77 said:

yeah, the psu is pretty bad, and it's also used. I suspect it's not covered by warranty anymore. you're willing to spend quite a lot on your new components, i'd advise you to get a good quality psu to make sure it doesn't damage your shiny new components.

in my mind, a 3600 + 2070 super makes more sense than a 3800x + 1660 super.

you might want to wait for the rtx 3070, as it should be the same price as the 2070 super, but much much better.

In my country, unfortunately, the price of a 3070 is close to $700 while a sparingly used 2070 super can be had for ~$400. It's just about the 3600 or waiting for the 4th gen Ryzen (which may not be launched at the same price point)

And yes, I've used the PSU for 6 years, easily. :')

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheMachineof88 said:

In my country, unfortunately, the price of a 3070 is close to $700 while a sparingly used 2070 super can be had for ~$400. It's just about the 3600 or waiting for the 4th gen Ryzen (which may not be launched at the same price point)

And yes, I've used the PSU for 6 years, easily. :')

then i'd go for 3600, 2070 super (which is a good pairing, not sure upgrading to 4000 series cpus is worth it unless you want to use a 3080 at 1080p for 240hz gaming) and a new good quality psu

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, boggy77 said:

then i'd go for 3600, 2070 super (which is a good pairing, not sure upgrading to 4000 series cpus is worth it unless you want to use a 3080 at 1080p for 240hz gaming) and a new good quality psu

How would you feel about pairing a R3 3100 with a 2070 super for now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×