Wired Connection Problem, probably IP Conflict

Hello, 

I have this problem recently that my main PC which I use randomly has no internet connection but it does say that it is connected. I suspected it would be some kind of virus but I scanned everything with Malwarebytes and Avast-Antivirus and the results were none. 

I suspected that there might be an IP conflict (though there wasn't any notification) between my PC and my sister's PC. They are wired with Cat5e and Cat6 cables. Usually both PC's run simultaneously fine but sometimes the main PC that I use will randomly have no internet though it is connected. 

Both of them are DHCP enabled 

DHCP should not result in any conflict.  To test this, just set a static IP on your NIC to an IP outside of your router's DHCP range.  See if it still happens.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I am now currently observing it ahahhah

I set my ip to static and kind of left my sister's pc with a USB to WI-FI adapter for a faster fix. Might be my router acting funny on its lan ports and assigning IP to ethernet connections. The router also is quite old ahaahhahaha

5 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

Hello, 

I have this problem recently that my main PC which I use randomly has no internet connection but it does say that it is connected. I suspected it would be some kind of virus but I scanned everything with Malwarebytes and Avast-Antivirus and the results were none. 

I suspected that there might be an IP conflict (though there wasn't any notification) between my PC and my sister's PC. They are wired with Cat5e and Cat6 cables. Usually both PC's run simultaneously fine but sometimes the main PC that I use will randomly have no internet though it is connected. 

DHCP IP is mostly given out via router. Unless you are using your computer to assign DHCP . That shall not matter. 

How are both of your computer connected to router ? Which Router is it ? I also have had similar problems , and these problems of random internet disconnections are due to router heating up and most old routers do face it. 

2 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

DHCP IP is mostly given out via router. Unless you are using your computer to assign DHCP . That shall not matter. 

How are both of your computer connected to router ? Which Router is it ? I also have had similar problems , and these problems of random internet disconnections are due to router heating up and most old routers do face it. 

the computer is fine and the router model is a TPLINK Model No. TP-WR940N

our router did run 24/7 the past weeks or so...

12 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

the computer is fine and the router model is a TPLINK Model No. TP-WR940N

our router did run 24/7 the past weeks or so...

Just check the cables and connectors once, do clean them . And if there are any sharp bends on the cable, just straighten them up. Windows doesn't detect those minor disconnections from the internet

Reboot Router from Router Web Page once in a day , if there is an automatic option ,set it at some at night like 3 A.M. , so some memory gets freed (especially the memory it uses to keep logs ) 

Set your Wifi Channel different from your neighbours. 

And You can Static IPs, no issues, but just a better solution is to use DHCP and set lease time to 1440 minutes ( 1day ) or 86400 seconds ( 1day )

And Most importantly - Just update the router firmware if there is one available. It could solve most of your problems. 

21 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Just check the cables and connectors once, do clean them . And if there are any sharp bends on the cable, just straighten them up. Windows doesn't detect those minor disconnections from the internet

Reboot Router from Router Web Page once in a day , if there is an automatic option ,set it at some at night like 3 A.M. , so some memory gets freed (especially the memory it uses to keep logs ) 

And You can Static IPs, no issues, but just a better solution is to use DHCP and set lease time to 1440 minutes ( 1day ) or 86400 seconds ( 1day )

And Most importantly - Just update the router firmware if there is one available. It could solve most of your problems. 

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind but is it possible that the router is just overused and overheated in this scenario?

I'm now currently running my sister's pc and my pc simultaneously and there isn't any problem now but I am now suspecting both my onboard NIC card or my router overheating ang it's system just janks up and solely my pc gets affected 

21 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind but is it possible that the router is just overused and overheated in this scenario?

I'm now currently running my sister's pc and my pc simultaneously and there isn't any problem now but I am now suspecting both my onboard NIC card or my router overheating ang it's system just janks up and solely my pc gets affected 

4 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

Networking won't be a big load for a pc. if it is an ad in Card, just make sure it is fit perfectly fit in PCI-express slot ?

How old is your PC ? The overuse of router is possible, maybe add some cooling to it like a laptop based usb cooling fan to it

If you are not concerned with range, set it to medium , or trasmission power a little less than 100%, so you will just make it run, just a bit cooler maybe.

Your Router doesn't seem to be very old, from your router model no. 

11 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Networking won't be a big load for a pc. if it is an ad in Card, just make sure it is fit perfectly fit in PCI-express slot ?

How old is your PC ? The overuse of router is possible, maybe add some cooling to it like a laptop based usb cooling fan to it

If you are not concerned with range, set it to medium , or trasmission power a little less than 100%, so you will just make it run, just a bit cooler maybe.

The pc is about 5 -6 years old? 

Last month, the router was running full on 24/7 and there were no problems within that time until now. It does sometimes however worm fine if I rest the router time to time

Im only using the onboard NIC card and i am planning to add a ethernet adapter to my pc if ever that the problem is within my pc's nic card

15 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Ah sorry for the questions but do you recommend reinstalling windows?

Thats the last resort that I have in mind for the pc and it may fix all of these problems occuring.

3 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

The pc is about 5 -6 years old? 

Last month, the router was running full on 24/7 and there were no problems within that time until now. It does sometimes however worm fine if I rest the router time to time

Im only using the onboard NIC card and i am planning to add a ethernet adapter to my pc if ever that the problem is within my pc's nic card

Fair enough, I also use a PC from 2014 and my gigabit ethernet port just works fine. You shall have no problem with it.  It is just a router/cable/connector issue 

33 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Fair enough, I also use a PC from 2014 and my gigabit ethernet port just works fine. You shall have no problem with it.  It is just a router/cable/connector issue 

currently its working but I am anxious that it might come back so that's kind of a bummer for me if it does come back again and had to do some things for this. I'll buy a usb to ethernet adapter because for some reason. Thank you for the replies :'>>>> I'm literally suffering on how it will be doing in the next days

5 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Just update your firmware once , https://www.tp-link.com/in/support/download/tl-wr940n/#Firmware

choose hardware version above.

Also Just for router safety reasons, flash firmware for your region. 

Although it doesn't affect it much, like I flashed a firmware of another region on my router and it works great. But still advised to flash the correct one

So set Network profile to Private, And IP Assignment - Automatic  (DHCP) -- as you said it is already (DHCP) , that is it gets IP address automatically from the router each time

image.png.9e7078c06c7cc3e9193ac7c31aa1d8ab.png

Then image.thumb.png.79aa8b3aa3ad1a9d0da739b377164781.png

Then In Network and Sharing Center - Click On Ethernet -then In Ethernet Status - click on properties --> then in Ethernet Properties --- Double Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) ---->  And make sure that obtain IP address automatically is set. If not then chaneg it, and validate settings upon exit.

Rest If your PC randomly doesn't have internet connectivity, also make sure there aren't any other configured Internet options and VPN providing softwares installed.

As far as I can, Your PC isn't a big concern, but the occasional drop is due to the router. And as currently you are using a PCI to ethernet adapter, it is indeed a better solution than USB To ethernet . 

On 9/21/2020 at 10:50 AM, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

Hello, 

Doesn't sound like an IP-conflict at all to me. Why do you believe it is?

I don't believe there is anything wrong with your router either, unlike what @Aditya Dighe seems to believe. If it was a router problem for example overheating or low memory then it would affect all devices on the network, not just your PC specifically. 

If it works for everyone except your PC then the issue is with your PC (hardware or software) or possibly some cable/port connected to your PC.

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't believe there is anything wrong with your router either, unlike what @Aditya Dighe seems to believe. If it was a router problem for example overheating or low memory then it would affect all devices on the network, not just your PC specifically. 

If it works for everyone except your PC then the issue is with your PC (hardware or software) or possibly some cable/port connected to your PC.

its kinda weird though as to why this happens but it is running now and both of them are now set to DHCP 

There was however an error 1014 in the event viewer which was related to dns server events and that's the only thing I can pin-point as to why it I receive ethernet connection but no Internet. The PC might probably need a fresh install of Windows.

That said, I am still trying to test everything that I can to find a possible fix to that one error I saw on Event Viewer that is kind of connected. 

19 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

I am now currently observing it ahahhah

I set my ip to static and kind of left my sister's pc with a USB to WI-FI adapter for a faster fix. Might be my router acting funny on its lan ports and assigning IP to ethernet connections. The router also is quite old ahaahhahaha

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, that's right though that only his PC had a problem but

It could be an issue with router LAN, because now his sister's computer is also connected via a WIFI.  

Also once connect your sister's PC to LAN, try if you could use the same lan you use to your PC or do swap yours and hers.  And turn off the wifi.  Open cmd via run, type "ping google.com -t". Let it run for 2-3hrs . Stop the ping with ctrl+C . And see if there are any packet losses. Scroll and see if you could spot any continuous connection timeouts. If there aren't any continuous drops ( more than or equal to 3 ), and you had no internet connection in the while then we are 100% sure that it is not the router issue.   if you have also had swapped cables prior to it. Then we are 100% sure it is your PC issue.

I didn't think that anything is wrong with PC because Most PC hardware is comparitively much more durable than traditionally a router or cable is.

The most probable cause is the cable, or one of the wires to the cable and its crimped connector being loose or any tight bends

13 minutes ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

its kinda weird though as to why this happens but it is running now and both of them are now set to DHCP 

There was however an error 1014 in the event viewer which was related to dns server events and that's the only thing I can pin-point as to why it I receive ethernet connection but no Internet. The PC might probably need a fresh install of Windows.

That said, I am still trying to test everything that I can to find a possible fix to that one error I saw on Event Viewer that is kind of connected. 

So when you have that issue are you able to access your router's settings page or transfer files between yours and sister's computer ? So we can be sure about ethernet being working. If yes then we can also be sure about PC related issue as @LAwLz said. Do a DISM restore and sfc scannow from cmd admin and see if it solves your issue. Or we can try updating drivers

Else then the DNS the pc is reffering to will be router's DNS. 

47 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

So when you have that issue are you able to access your router's settings page or transfer files between yours and sister's computer ? So we can be sure about ethernet being working. If yes then we can also be sure about PC related issue as @LAwLz said. Do a DISM restore and sfc scannow from cmd admin and see if it solves your issue. Or we can try updating drivers

I shall report on you on what would happen tomorrow ahahhaa

55 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

Yes, that's right though that only his PC had a problem but

It could be an issue with router LAN, because now his sister's computer is also connected via a WIFI.  

Also once connect your sister's PC to LAN, try if you could use the same lan you use to your PC or do swap yours and hers.  And turn off the wifi.  Open cmd via run, type "ping google.com -t". Let it run for 2-3hrs . Stop the ping with ctrl+C . And see if there are any packet losses. Scroll and see if you could spot any continuous connection timeouts. If there aren't any continuous drops ( more than or equal to 3 ), and you had no internet connection in the while then we are 100% sure that it is not the router issue.   if you have also had swapped cables prior to it. Then we are 100% sure it is your PC issue.

I didn't think that anything is wrong with PC because Most PC hardware is comparitively much more durable than traditionally a router or cable is.

The most probable cause is the cable, or one of the wires to the cable and its crimped connector being loose or any tight bends

I'll be running this tomorrow and update if there is anything happening 

19 hours ago, Aditya Dighe said:

It worked for a day and suddenly disconnects.

I decided to clean install my Windows because I think my OS kinda got infected by some virus when my sister plugged in a USB with malware. I did scanned them with Malwarebytes, Avast, and also my brother suggested which is BitDefender and there were none.

Thank you for all of the replies and wish me luck in a few days because my brother will be clean installing Windows back into my PC for literally cleaning the PC also. 

3 hours ago, Martin Jr. Nalugon said:

It worked for a day and suddenly disconnects.

I decided to clean install my Windows because I think my OS kinda got infected by some virus when my sister plugged in a USB with malware. I did scanned them with Malwarebytes, Avast, and also my brother suggested which is BitDefender and there were none.

Thank you for all of the replies and wish me luck in a few days because my brother will be clean installing Windows back into my PC for literally cleaning the PC also. 

No disconnections on other computers in command line - ping ? And also if same lan cable is connected to your sister's pc, then are there any disconnections ? 

if not,

Then go ahead with a system reinstall , or try updating drivers one last time before that

4 minutes ago, Aditya Dighe said:

No disconnections on other computers in command line - ping ? And also if same lan cable is connected to your sister's pc, then are there any disconnections ? 

if not,

Then go ahead with a system reinstall , or try updating drivers one last time before that

No disconnections on the other pc.

I did however updated the driver back to what the motherboard manufacturer listed.

Might observe it one more time tomorrow then if it persists then I will nuke it with a windows clean install

Thank you for the reassurance ahahahahah, its that I get scared from doing things within my pc

Yea okay, then you have to go ahead with reinstall. Or rather just refresh your PC, instead of entirely reinstalling ? It is easy too, Your Programs remain same. Just download Windows, open setup.exe . Or do it form advanced options.