Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KRSogaard

Gaming PC for 5440x1440 120Hz monitor

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My Last PC was a top of the line monster from 2015, but it is getting a little old now and am planning to get a new PC, but i don't have much knowledge about what i should be getting any more. So before i ordered i wanted to get some feedback.

I am not sure about the MOBO selection, the memory (is is correct that 3600 is the best RAM speed to get?) and the Power Supply is that one can support the new 3080?

 

Budget (including currency): $2000-$2500

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: new Gaming, Wow and Programming, but running a 5440x1440 120Hz monitor.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLmTvW

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($383.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($205.19 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card 
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.88 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1544.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-19 21:59 EDT-0400

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3600mhz is generally seen as the best price to performance. 

 

Build looks good. You might want to look at a case with better airflow, Gamers Nexus has a good video on that topic. 

 

I'd probably get a cheaper SSD. 


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

3600mhz is generally seen as the best price to performance. 

 

Build looks good. You might want to look at a case with better airflow, Gamers Nexus has a good video on that topic. 

 

I'd probably get a cheaper SSD. 

Yeah i am currently looking at the case reviews from them, there are a lot to go though :)

When you say cheaper SSD do you refer to the storage or getting an EVO instead of EVO Plus?

Link to post
Share on other sites

would get a casing with better airflow


Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

 

 

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

 

Spoiler

 

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

 

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

 

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

 

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

 

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

 

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

would get a casing with better airflow

Think i will go with the phanteks P500A instead

Link to post
Share on other sites

memory:

3600 cas16 was the called the “sweet spot” by AMD engineers for the 3700 when it was released some years ago.  The deal is there are things about infinity fabric that make ram over 3733 extremely problematic for Ryzen2.  It applies to Ryzen2.

storage:

not how I personally would do it.  The problem is for gaming anyway, nvme while vastly faster, shows little advantage over SATA currently BUT might require really really fast pcie nvme in the future.  It’s unknown.  I personally am hesitant to fill up nvme slots capable of pcie4 until I know what is going on.  The EVOs are uselessly fast for current games but might not be fast enough for future ones. 
My personal move would be a big SATA SSD to be used as a main drive until probably sometime near or after the end of the year when we have a chance to find out what is going on. 
 

GPU

 Getting ahold of a 3080 FE could be problematic even if paying an obnoxious sum to a scalper.  There have been issues which are detailed elsewhere.  scalper prices don’t seem that far off the price of the whole rest of the system.  There are problems even with that though.

 

monitor:

a monitor of that size is effectively 1440p@120 x2. So 2x 1080p, x2 speed, x2 size.  Effectively somewhat similar to 4k@144hz. You’re going to need all of that 3080.

 

Motherboard:

can’t speak to that model.  I’m sure there are reviews.  B550 in general has 1 pcie4 pcie slot (so you’re good there) 1 pcie4 nvme slot, and everything else is pcie3. In this particular case I don’t see what x570 would have on it, except possibly the ability to run 2 pcie4 nvme drives in raid0.  Don’t know if that will be even wanted though.

 

 

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KRSogaard said:

Yeah i am currently looking at the case reviews from them, there are a lot to go though :)

When you say cheaper SSD do you refer to the storage or getting an EVO instead of EVO Plus?

Even a cheaper SSD like an SX8200Pro would likely feel the exact same in day to day use. 


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

memory:

3600 cas16 was the called the “sweet spot” by AMD engineers for the 3700 when it was released some years ago.  The deal is there are things about infinity fabric that make ram over 3733 extremely problematic for Ryzen2.  It applies to Ryzen2.

storage:

not how I personally would do it.  The problem is for gaming anyway, nvme while vastly faster, shows little advantage over SATA currently BUT might require really really fast pcie nvme in the future.  It’s unknown.  I personally am hesitant to fill up nvme slots capable of pcie4 until I know what is going on.  The EVOs are uselessly fast for current games but might not be fast enough for future ones. 
My personal move would be a big SATA SSD to be used as a main drive until probably sometime near or after the end of the year when we have a chance to find out what is going on. 
 

GPU

 Getting ahold of a 3080 FE could be problematic even if paying an obnoxious sum to a scalper.  There have been issues which are detailed elsewhere.  scalper prices don’t seem that far off the price of the whole rest of the system.  There are problems even with that though.

 

monitor:

a monitor of that size is effectively 1440p@120 x2. So 2x 1080p, x2 speed, x2 size.  Effectively somewhat similar to 4k@144hz. You’re going to need all of that 3080.

 

Motherboard:

can’t speak to that model.  I’m sure there are reviews.  B550 in general has 1 pcie4 pcie slot (so you’re good there) 1 pcie4 nvme slot, and everything else is pcie3. In this particular case I don’t see what x570 would have on it. 

 

 

For the GPU i know i won't be able to get it withing next month or so i am ready to use my 980TI until then :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Even a cheaper SSD like an SX8200Pro would likely feel the exact same in day to day use. 

Ok thank you, i have always had good experience with Samsung hard drives. Have 2 SATA SSD running is Raid 0, and they are still pulling along after 5 years of 8+ hours a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Build looks solid overall, but consider the following:

 

- That SSD is WAY Overpriced. What the 970 EVO Offers is not relevant for gaming. Switch it to a cheaper 2TB like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LxXnTW/sabrent-2-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-2tb

 

Other people might have better recommendations.

 

I'd also grab a Motherboard with a better VRM for the purposes of overclocking that 3800XT (don't grab an XT part if you're not going to overclock). Grab a model from Tier C or higher (preferably B or higher) out of our Tier List.

 

 


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×