best biocide and anti corrosion?

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
On 9/20/2020 at 9:28 PM, narrdarr said:

Can anyone else add some insight? I have utopia sitting here waiting for me to open up the aio. 

I'd go with the tried and true method of using ethylene or propylene glycol as it is what is they use in the AIO's originally. 

Not looking to go down the road of it's not needed or shouldn't do it. This is an aio (h100i v2) I'm going clean and refill. I pick it up on the cheap. Its working "ok". But nowhere as good as it should be and after many temp issues I'm going to investigate inside the loop.

Im just wondering what the best biocide  and anti corrosion for this would be for when I refill?

Was going to pick up primochill utopia but figured I'd ask in case there is something better.

15 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Not looking to go down the road of it's not needed or shouldn't do it. This is an aio (h100i v2) I'm going clean and refill. I pick it up on the cheap. Its working "ok". But nowhere as good as it should be and after many temp issues I'm going to investigate inside the loop.

Im just wondering what the best biocide  and anti corrosion for this would be for when I refill?

Was going to pick up primochill utopia but figured I'd ask in case there is something better.

AIO isn't supposed to be refilled. If you somehow find a way to open it and then able to seal it again. Then the coolant inside is a mix of distilled water and propylene glycol.

Primochill utopia won't work with aluminium radiator and copper water block. Most AIOs use aluminium radiator to reduce cost.

3 hours ago, Deli said:

AIO isn't supposed to be refilled. If you somehow find a way to open it and then able to seal it again. Then the coolant inside is a mix of distilled water and propylene glycol.

Primochill utopia won't work with aluminium radiator and copper water block. Most AIOs use aluminium radiator to reduce cost.

yes i know it isn't suppose too. yes i know its mixed metals. are you recommending me to use DW and PG blend instead of.....Utopia or Cryofuel?

19 hours ago, For Science! said:

EK CryoFuel.

any reason why you would choose this?

4 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Oh god, no, dear god, no, no just NO.

why?

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

yes i know it isn't suppose too. yes i know its mixed metals. are you recommending me to use DW and PG blend instead of.....Utopia or Cryofuel?

Neither contains propylene glycol. Won't work.

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Oh god, no, dear god, no, no just NO.

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Won't work for AIO. AIO uses aluminium rad.

Why would 2.5-5 % Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate,<0.02 % Methylisothiazolinone, and 0.1-1% Methyl-1H-benzotriazole not be suitable for a mixed metal system? Since you two seem to know more chemistry then I do, please go ahead.

If you prefer a more toxic route, automotive coolant (High concentration of ethylene glycol with some really nasty shit with diethylene glycol and sodium hexanoate (note, same anti corrosive as EK CryoFuel) would be functionally the same. Just more toxic, and more suitable for a wider range of freezing temperatures that a car may experience. For a PC, it just makes handling more annoying.

For the sake of OP, I should clarify to definitely not use the opaque (solid) cryofuel, and only consider using the transparent uncoloured one.

Just now, For Science! said:

For the sake of OP, I should clarify to definitely not use the opaque (solid) cryofuel, and only consider using the transparent uncoloured one.

Yes I know this

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Why would 2.5-5 % Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate,<0.02 % Methylisothiazolinone, and 0.1-1% Methyl-1H-benzotriazole not be suitable for a mixed metal system? Since you two seem to know more chemistry then I do, please go ahead.

If you prefer a more toxic route, automotive coolant (High concentration of ethylene glycol with some really nasty shit with diethylene glycol and sodium hexanoate (note, same anti corrosive as EK CryoFuel) would be functionally the same

I don't know shit about chemistry. I use EK CryoFuel clear in my own loop. Works great, much better than distilled water with biocide plus anti-corrosion(from Mayhems).

I know EK CryoFuel won't work with a mix of copper and aluminium, because I tried it already. You will be lucky to survive a month before the corrosion build-up blocking the micro-fins on the cool plate completely.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

I don't know shit about chemistry. I use EK CryoFuel clear in my own loop. Works great, much better than distilled water with biocide plus anti-corrosion(from Mayhems).

I know EK CryoFuel won't work with a mix of copper and aluminium, because I tried it already. You will be lucky to survive a month before the corrosion build-up blocking the micro-fins on the cool plate completely.

Don’t know what metric you used to ascertain that CryoFuel is better than Mayhems, but whatever, guessing you had (User) problems with the Mayhems or it’s just a feeling thing.

Why did the aluminium come out of solution again? Apart from the fact that a month is incredibly short for a protected system. Something doesn’t seem right to me and unfortunately have to guess that there was some user error here.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Don’t know what metric you used to ascertain that CryoFuel is better than Mayhems, but whatever, guessing you had (User) problems with the Mayhems or it’s just a feeling thing.

Why did the aluminium come out of solution again? Apart from the fact that a month is incredibly short for a protected system. Something doesn’t seem right to me and unfortunately have to guess that there was some user error here.

I still have a bunch of fittings coated with "green" stuff. Since switching to Cryofuel clear, both PCs only require routine once a year maintenance.

Guess whatever you want.

7 minutes ago, Deli said:

I still have a bunch of fittings coated with "green" stuff. Since switching to Cryofuel clear, both PCs only require routine once a year maintenance.

Guess whatever you want.

That’s copper oxidation, not galvanic corrosion.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

That’s copper oxidation, not galvanic corrosion.

Have you watched Gamers Nexus opens the Enermax Liqtech II cooler? It looks like that but to a lesser degree.

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

Have you watched Gamers Nexus opens the Enermax Liqtech II cooler? It looks like that but to a lesser degree.

I have seen it, and then would raise you the question why the gelling of glycol (formation of poly ethylene/propylene glycol) is similar to CryoFuel.

9 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I have seen it, and then would raise you the question why the gelling of glycol (formation of poly ethylene/propylene glycol) is similar to CryoFuel.

I don't know what exactly the build-up was. But I know there were some green, white and black solid stuff build-up in the micro-fin area. And the whole loop was coated with those green-white thing. One loop used hard tube and the other one use EK ZMT tube. So, it wasn't plasticizer. I had the same problem with both loops.

I'm not new to water cooling. I build quite a few loops for myself and others.

Can anyone else add some insight? I have utopia sitting here waiting for me to open up the aio. 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:28 PM, narrdarr said:

I'd go with the tried and true method of using ethylene or propylene glycol as it is what is they use in the AIO's originally. 

29 minutes ago, W-L said:

After talking to some people over at OCN i think i'm going to use some PG. Was considering mixing PG, Utopia, and distilled water. Would this be a no no?

4 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

After talking to some people over at OCN i think i'm going to use some PG. Was considering mixing PG, Utopia, and distilled water. Would this be a no no?

Do not mix and match fluids together everything in the propylene glycol will be enough for mixed metal given the proper concentration.