Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fatih19

Nvidia Drivers Issues on Linux

Posted · Original PosterOP

Is there really that many papercuts if you use Nvidia on Linux? Or is the problem overblown by people hating Nvidia's practices of proprietary drivers?

No, I'm not asking this because I wanted to upgrade to the 30 Series anytime soon.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

37 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

Is there really that many papercuts if you use Nvidia on Linux? Or is the problem overblown by people hating Nvidia's practices of proprietary drivers?

It's mostly just partypoopers hating on proprietary drivers and people who insist on installing NVIDIA's drivers manually and fucking it up, instead of installing them from the distro's repos. (Ie. in Ubuntu, it's literally just a few clicks to install the drivers, no need to download anything manually, let alone hopping down to CLI to install anything)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, Gamuniter said:

NVIDIA drivers aren't open source, so you have to set up manually.

Nope. Almost all modern distros offer you a way of installing the drivers with just a few clicks, and some distros automatically install them.

EDIT: Seems to be 5 clicks to install the drivers in the default Ubuntu Desktop.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's mostly just partypoopers hating on proprietary drivers and people who insist on installing NVIDIA's drivers manually and fucking it up, instead of installing them from the distro's repos. (Ie. in Ubuntu, it's literally just a few clicks to install the drivers, no need to download anything manually, let alone hopping down to CLI to install anything)

No, I'm not talking about installation. I mean, in day-to-day use is there issues here and there? Like something not working, screen goes black, etc. etc.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Just now, Fatih19 said:

No, I'm not talking about installation. I mean, in day-to-day use is there issues here and there? Like something not working, screen goes black, etc. etc.

I already said, no. The people complaining are mostly those grumpy partypoopers and people who fuck the installation up and then blame the drivers.

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

The real issue in my opinion comes down to this.

NVIDIA drivers are proprietary and they don't like to share information.

NVIDIA's config is a mess, especially with the introduction of wayland. They also seem to refuse to adapt new practices for handling xorg configs, which can cause issues with xorg in some instances.

NVIDIA's drivers target Ubuntu and RedHat, they are only guaranteed to work against the packages shipped on these distros, which are considered heavily outdated by others.

If the Linux community comes up with a implementation, NVIDIA tries to complicate it by introducing there own closed source version and not adopting the open-source implementation.

Most developers primarily target the Mesa 3d Graphics Library, which is part of the open-source driver stack for Intel and AMD.

When it comes to the open-source driver stack, when a problem arises, the Linux community can fix it.

Some patches with various applications go hand in hand with additional patches to the open-source driver stack, they can be built and tested at the same time.

A good example is the introduction of the RADV ACO compiler for AMD, it was actually made by valve and merged into Mesa.

31 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

For target distros such as Ubuntu, RedHat and there derivitives such as Mint, PopOS!, etc..., its fairly unlikely so long as you don't try to modify the configs NVIDIA Generates.

As you move towards something like Arch, issues like that can and do creep up from time to time.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

NVIDIA drivers are kinda known to be a give or take on Linux. Let alone the open source ones where performance is horrendous.

The only distro that NVIDIA drivers mainly work on are Ubuntu/Debian and Pop!_OS. Rest are kinda just hope they're flawless or live with the minor inconsistencies.

Installation-wise it's pretty simple being a .deb that you can install via apt, but depending on the card and what you plan to run you may need to configure Xorg a tad.

There is absolutely no reason to manually install them using the scripts/blobs NVIDIA provides on their website unless you have an extremely good reason to do so.

Cool cool cool. Thanks for the info guys!

Main Rig :

Laptop :