DirectX 12 to be Unveiled at GDC 2014

worldwin

www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/70601/directx-12-to-be-unveiled-at-gdc-2014

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver."

EDIT: I personally think this update to DX is nothing short of amazing. I say this because all it really took was for AMD to launch mantle and we have the both the main API's to start focusing on low level APIs. Either way this benefits the consumer in the long run as we no longer will require UBER cpus to reduce bottlenecks. On the upside we can now sink more of our budget into graphic cards and get a cheap/decent cpu to pair it with.

EDIT: From JasonRoGo http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828181

"

Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before!

In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware.

If you use cutting-edge 3D graphics in your games, middleware, or engines and want to efficiently build rich and immersive visuals, you don't want to miss this talk."

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

"For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.

Come learn our plans to deliver."

Not if you guys consider it such a fucking chore, we'll just move on to SteamOS kthxbye.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if they come out with new low level like Directx 12, our existing cards will definetely not support it, why would they right? and on top of that definitely no support for windows 7, and microsoft would force gamers to move on to a disaster of a OS like win 8. So, according to me it's time we moved away from microsoft, Directx needs to die and so does windows, atleast for gamers and i'm sure Lord Gabe will save us all.

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

Since DirectX it's tied to windows and windows only, it might as well be a full OS. i.e. You should fully expect Direct X 12 to be a Windows 9 exclusive because fuck you just upgrade, that's why.

Because it's built into the core of Windows because there hadn't been a reason to update it too often. Still doesn't answer why someone would use SteamOS.

Because it's built into the core of Windows because there hadn't been a reason to update it too often. Still doesn't answer why someone would use SteamOS.

It can't be multiplatform because it's built into the windows core? No you got the order wrong: They built it into the windows core so they would have an excuse to force people to upgrade: OpenGL is multiplatform and can be easily implemented across not only multiple oses but multiple versions of them. The "built into the core" thing is a stupid rationalization that was deemed outright illegal in europe when it was attempted to justify Internet Explorer. Microsoft has been doing this bullshit for decades now.

As to why would someone use SteamOS here's just a couple of reasons:

1) It will be free

2) It will continue to be free for future updates not forcing you to pay up for features

3) It already has good game support for lots of indie titles

4) It's based on debian which has a lot of applications and support already and

5) Because it's not Microsoft, it's nice to be able to finally have a somewhat viable option to swallowing whatever Microsoft shits out. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Even if they come out with new low level like Directx 12, our existing cards will definetely not support it, why would they right? and on top of that definitely no support for windows 7, and microsoft would force gamers to move on to a disaster of a OS like win 8. So, according to me it's time we moved away from microsoft, Directx needs to die and so does windows, atleast for gamers and i'm sure Lord Gabe will save us all.

Just saying every other OS Microsoft has released has been pretty good. I'm expecting W9 to put W8 to shame.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Just saying every other OS Microsoft has released has been pretty good. I'm expecting W9 to put W8 to shame.

it'll still be an exclusive to win 9 or 8 or whatever, that's my point

Fx-8320 Clocked@ 4.5Ghz, 2 * 4GB Corsair Vengeance Blue, 2 * Gigabyte rev1.0 R9 280x's, 2TB Seagate Drive, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev4.0 mobo, Fractal design Define R4 with SP120 High Performance Edition In the Side Panel, Corsair AX 860i, Corsair K60 Reds, Razor DeathAdder.

1) I just debunked that with Windows 2k which was as good, if not eventually better, than XP

2) Even if you consider that pattern, you're only comparing it to other versions of windows and nothing else, you can't really say it's "pretty good" when it has been largely without competition.

3) Failing all that re: OSX

-------

Current Rig

-------

It can't be multiplatform because it's built into the windows core? No you got the order wrong: They built it into the windows core so they would have an excuse to force people to upgrade: OpenGL is multiplatform and can be easily implemented across not only multiple oses but multiple versions of them. The "built into the core" thing is a stupid rationalization that was deemed outright illegal in europe when it was attempted to justify Internet Explorer. Microsoft has been doing this bullshit for decades now.

As to why would someone use SteamOS here's just a couple of reasons:

1) It will be free

2) It will continue to be free for future updates not forcing you to pay up for features

3) It already has good game support for lots of indie titles

4) It's based on debian which has a lot of applications and support already and

5) Because it's not Microsoft, it's nice to be able to finally have a somewhat viable option to swallowing whatever Microsoft shits out. 

I understand your reasoning but that's the reason why they release newer versions of DirectX in new versions of Windows. I know it's stupid but that's the way they do it.

Hmm...the probability of DirectX 12 to arrive with Maxwell isn't too high, since it is yet to be announced.

Looks like I'll have to hold my upgrade...again.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Hmm...the probability of DirectX 12 to arrive with Maxwell isn't too high, since it is yet to be announced.

Looks like I'll have to hold my upgrade...again.

Ya you do that, you'll probably be holding that upgrade forever.

Hell yeah. This is supposed to include some low level APIs too so while Mantle may die in favor of this, AMD's true goal is accomplished.

I don't think Mantle is going to be killed so easily.

It's an entirely new api made from the ground up to serve the developer's needs.

Mantle is still in its infancy.

I understand your reasoning but that's the reason why they release newer versions of DirectX in new versions of Windows. I know it's stupid but that's the way they do it.

I also understand why, but I'm not your local computer equivalent of the Unabomber preaching Linux to the masses anymore like I was in the early 2000s: Free and open(ish) source platforms like Android have been proven to work and there's no reason to accept MSes paradigm anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You know what sucks? My PC supports it now more than likely (Windows 8.1 Pro) but my freaking iGPU doesn't. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Ya you do that, you'll probably be holding that upgrade forever.

I actually prefer to wait. DirectXs take some time to upgrade (even if that time is not so much), while most people do something like 2 upgrades between the generations.

I'm my situation, it is worth it.

Plus, Intel won't have Broadwell this year, if they have it might be near the end of it, so I was already delaying my upgrade. And, most important, I don't really need to upgrade in at least 1-1.5 year.

But I see your point, haha.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

1) I just debunked that with Windows 2k which was as good, if not eventually better, than XP

2) Even if you consider that pattern, you're only comparing it to other versions of windows and nothing else, you can't really say it's "pretty good" when it has been largely without competition.

3) Failing all that re: OSX

I suppose I should have stated that it was my own opinion. I personally did not enjoy 2K or OSX when I had to use them. In regards to comparing them to only windows the competition is irrelevant as I am only focusing on windows.

I suppose I should have stated that it was my own opinion. I personally did not enjoy 2K or OSX when I had to use them. In regards to comparing them to only windows the competition is irrelevant as I am only focusing on windows.

SteamOS will make competition (hopefully more) relevant (eventually).

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hopefully it will be on par or better than Mantle's performance. Wishful thinking, I know, but Microsoft did say that they are considering giving DirectX a significant increase. 

COMIC SANS

Damnit Microsoft you were supposed to let everyone else move on without you and your proprietary bullshit.

YEEEEEAAAAAHHH :D
If it's DX12 then it won't just be performance upgrades.
This means it will get new graphic features like DX11 did with tessellation.
But it probably also means you will need a new DX12 GPU so Maxwell.(I will buy Maxwell anyway so I don't really care)

RTX2070OC 

And thus, Mantle bites the dust early. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!