Upgrade gpu

Nolookinback

Hey guys, so I’ll start with my pc is about 10 years oldish 

i7 4770k 

Gtx 770 2g

32g ram

Msi z97-g55 sli

I was thinking about the Evga gtx 1660 super 6g. I’m not looking to play games in 2k or anything. Just smooth 60fps 1080p 3 monitors. 

The 1660 super is a great choice for the upgrade but you might want to wait for AMD and nvidia since they're going to bring new gpu's this fall.

27 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Wait two weeks for Ampere to launch and buy an entry level card (the replacement to the 1660S)

if nvidia follows the release schedule they've followed for several years now, the 3060/whatever budget card they have won't be here until next year. amd might release the whole product stack at once to get a bigger foothold in the entry level market but we don't know that.

30 minutes ago, Nolookinback said:

I was thinking about the Evga gtx 1660 super 6g. I’m not looking to play games in 2k or anything. Just smooth 60fps 1080p 3 monitors. 

a 1650 super would probably be enough as it's equal in performance to a 1060 or 580 which handle 1080p fine. a 1660S is pushing 1070 levels of performance which would make sense for higher than 60 fps. if you get an evga card don't forget about the step up program, may come in handy if they end up releasing lower end cards early.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I know, I didn't suggest to buy an entry level ampere card I meant to buy a 1660S or something used after the ampere launch

ah fair enough, i personally wouldn't wait as for all we know nvidia could halt production of more cards or pull some other crap, and with the current state of hardware i wouldn't expect prices to go down quickly after launch. if OP decides to utilize evga's step up then the price they pay doesn't matter. and if prices did go down i wouldn't mind the 20-30 bucks "lost" as a month or two of usage is worth that much to me. but thats just me, do whatever rocks yall's boats

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D