Do I try and upgrade or do I just build a brand new pc

Budget (including currency): Around 500-600 US dollars

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming and if possible some streaming( Games I will most likely play are Assassins Creed Odyssey, rust, csgo, lol, overwatch, and some civ 6)  

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I have a slightly modded dell optiplex 790. It has an intel I5 2400, Msi Radeon rx 560, 12gb of ram, CX 750m, and a WD Blue 1tb hard drive, also the motherboard is an Intel Q65 Express 

Right now I want to get a better pc but I dont know the exact path for upgrading, so I want to know if it might be better to build a pc from scratch or try and upgrade what I have now.

I dont know if this needs to be known but I am keeping the power supply and the hard drive

For peripherals needed it just needs to meet or be lower than the price range

Build from scratch. Mind, Dell has custom-build PSUs in their ranges, so I doubt you can take the Dell PSU to a new case w/o problems (wire harness too short, mounting holes might differ, etc).

You can use the Dell peripherals on your new system, at least until you have some money to replace those.

As for parts for your new system, aim for a mid-range AMD proc (1600AF or 3300X), higher range X570 main board (so you have an upgrade path in the future) and a 650W PSU. Re-use the GPU and HDD, get a fairly cheap case that meets your needs.

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

You could keep the PSU if it isn't super old the HDD you can keep to the rest meh, then maybe aim for an b550 board or b450 with a R5 3600 (you could keep gpu for a while) 

I also recommend waiting for new releases

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Honestly I would build a new one but in stages, you're running a nearly 10 hear old CPU at this point, if you want to keep playing new releases you're going to need a bit more power.

If I were you I would upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600 or newer.

You'll need a new mobo and you'll need new RAM so get 16GB DDR4

You will also need a new PSU and you'll need a new case because the Dell case likely has bespoke mobo mounts and the airflow will be rubbish.

Get yourself an SSD, they are super cheap now. No need to splash out on an M.2.

I would keep your current GPU for now and keep saving for a while longer to get something like a 2060 or 2070 in a year so so time. Your 560 will do ok for now, won't be perfect but will work till you can get something better.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Build from scratch. Mind, Dell has custom-build PSUs in their ranges, so I doubt you can take the Dell PSU to a new case w/o problems (wire harness too short, mounting holes might differ, etc).

You can use the Dell peripherals on your new system, at least until you have some money to replace those.

As for parts for your new system, aim for a mid-range AMD proc, higher range X570 main board (so you have an upgrade path in the future) and a 650W PSU. Re-use the GPU and HDD, get a fairly cheap case that meets your needs.

HTH!

I'm pretty sure that is just a normal corsair PSU that isn't the stock one

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

I'm pretty sure that is just a normal corsair PSU that isn't the stock one

I think it's a bespoke one, this sounds like quite an old build. Regardless it's probably not that well rated and is rather old. PSUs don't cost much in the scheme of things so I'd replace it.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

1 minute ago, mopman94 said:

I think it's a bespoke one, this sounds like quite an old build. Regardless it's probably not that well rated and is rather old. PSUs don't cost much in the scheme of things so I'd replace it.

Me with a CX650M *bruh* I understand what you mean but if it isn't that old like he replaced it recently he probs can keep it

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, mopman94 said:

I replaced the stock PSU and got my current CX 750m about 4 months ago 

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B00ALK3KEM here is its amazon link

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

My PSU is only 4 months old could I still use that?

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B00ALK3KEM-(the amazon link)

3 minutes ago, Bleamy said:

I replaced the stock PSU and got my current CX 750m about 4 months ago 

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B00ALK3KEM here is its amazon link

Then I'ts pretty smart to keep it in my opinion

Reminder⚠️

7 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Me with a CX650M *bruh* I understand what you mean but if it isn't that old like he replaced it recently he probs can keep it

Oh yeah I read through that part of the post pretty quick and missed it, thought he was still on the stock Dell PSU.

if you cant really stretch the budget would go with this

*buying an extra fan for intake is recommended

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Well you definitely need a new processor if you want to stream. I would recommend getting a ryzen 5 processor (amd is really good for h.264 encoding). Get a cheap motherboard and 16gb ram and just stick all that in your current computer keeping your power supply, case, and hard drive for the time being. Then as soon as you can buy a 1tb NVMe drive (make sure you get a motherboard with an M.2 slot on it) and put windows on it and that will be an enormous upgrade and you will be able to stream your games. 600w is enough for that upgrade. Then when you feel like it get a new case and probably a graphics card upgrade relatively soon.