In need of competitive gaming headphones that I'll be streaming with

TekkyTG

The title says the majority of it.

I'm looking for some nice headphones that are great for competitive gaming (as in picking up footsteps) and are built to last. One of the main features I'd like to have is a well-made cable with a significant length. I don't mind going wireless, but only if it's a very low latency. My current headphones are Astro A10's. I absolutely LOVE them, or at least did while they were working properly. The cable has a thick, rubbery outside that doesn't get tangled, it's about 6 foot 3 inches (which is barely enough, I would much prefer 8 foot + if possible). It has a volume knob on it as well.

I love having a volume knob on the cable, however often times, the volume knob will cause issues down the line. LR audio becomes unbalanced at max volume, and I have to really push the volume knob up as hard as I can to balance it, or turn it down a ways to get it to balance, and then I can't hear it well, but then I can sometimes bring it back up again to normal (max volume) and it will be balanced again. It's a bit of a struggle, lol.

I also want them to look decent, and as much as I love rgb, that's NOT what I'm looking for. I'd rather people see that I've got good quality headphones and think, "Hey, he knows his stuff, maybe I should stick around" rather than, "Ew, he's retarded. He has garbage headphones just because he thinks they look cool but in reality they hurt my eyes. I'm out this B".

Budget: I'm willing to stretch a bit. It really depends on the quality of the headphones. If I see some really good reviews online, along with the perks I'm looking for, I'll be into spending a bit more. For a start, I'd like to spend less than 150$, but I will stretch it to 250$, but only if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to make them tick all the boxes.

Also, at the moment I do not have a sound board/mixer or what have you. My microphone is a USB Blue Yeti. It's highly unlikely I could switch to a mixer with my price limit, but I would be willing to boost the budget to 300$ if I can have a decent board I won't regret buying later on, with 6.35mm headphones that still tick at least most of the boxes, so that later on I can get a proper XLR microphone.

+1 Great quality

+1 Great sound, especially for footsteps

+1 Will last a very long time (more than a year, long-term)

+1 Look decent.

+10000000 OVER EAR!!!

+1 Volume knob (but only if reviews show that it won't affect the headphones long-term)

+1 decently priced.

+100 NO microphone.

At the moment, I'm very much interested in this:

Sennheiser HD518

https://bit.ly/31mxn5Y

AT2035

https://amzn.to/3idSUEI

Headphone AMP

https://amzn.to/3fuathT

Mixer (1 mic input)

https://amzn.to/2PuLLUe

Microphone Cable

https://bit.ly/33u6pvE

Microphone Stand

https://bit.ly/2ENgE3U

Obviously, I'd only pick up the HD518's for now, and pick up the other parts as I go. Any input?

18 minutes ago, Sw1ft_25 said:

Sennheiser game one seems like what you are looking for

I looked over it, appears to be a great set of headphones. Unfortunately I forgot to add one thing to my post: No microphone. I'm looking at the Sennheisser HD  518's right now, I'll be checking around that pricepoint. Otherwise the Game One's appear to be perfect. I like the fabric earmuffs a lot.

36 minutes ago, TechPrince said:

I looked over it, appears to be a great set of headphones. Unfortunately I forgot to add one thing to my post: No microphone. I'm looking at the Sennheisser HD  518's right now, I'll be checking around that pricepoint. Otherwise the Game One's appear to be perfect. I like the fabric earmuffs a lot.

why no mic? just seems odd when you can just have it up and muted. I have tried them myself though and they are really comfortable, plus the cable is replaceable so you can get a longer one. but the sennheiser hd599 are expensive but are very nice also

2 minutes ago, Hackerman25 said:

why no mic? just seems odd when you can just have it up and muted. I have tried them myself though and they are really comfortable, plus the cable is replaceable so you can get a longer one. but the sennheiser hd599 are expensive but are very nice also

Looks bad. Flipping up the microphone doesn't look right on stream, it makes things look out of place. That's why you rarely see "structured" streamers with a mic on the side of their headphones.

4 minutes ago, TekkyTG said:

Looks bad. Flipping up the microphone doesn't look right on stream, it makes things look out of place. That's why you rarely see "structured" streamers with a mic on the side of their headphones.

i understand where you are coming from, it does look odd, but if you want no mic, also look at the dt990's from beyerdynamic. Very comfortable headphones that (imo) look decent enough. unfortunately open back i believe

1 hour ago, Hackerman25 said:

i understand where you are coming from, it does look odd, but if you want no mic, also look at the dt990's from beyerdynamic. Very comfortable headphones that (imo) look decent enough. unfortunately open back i believe

Imo, open back is better if you're in a quiet area. Check out https://www.soundguys.com/open-back-vs-closed-back-headphones-12179/

I would allocate more money I to the headphone amp cause the e10k is not really something I and many others would consider good. If you are ina quiter area . An easy to drive headphone easily powered by a scarlett within your budget are the Sennheiser HD 58x from massdrop with the new user coupon or a beyerdynamic tygr if you want to stretch your budget. Both are great open backs awesome for footsteps. 

12 hours ago, Hackerman25 said:

Sennheiser game one seems like what you are looking for

Gaming ones a

have funky presets that kinda make it pointless buying sennheisers 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

What you are looking for is a great pair of headphones and a good amp/dac. You want the amp/dac combo since amping the onboard audio is not that good. I would recommend the DT 770 pro 250ohm with the ifi zen dac. Really good combo for streaming and gaming. The DT 770's has a good sound signature for gaming since you want more treble and bass. The DT 770's are also really durable and light headphones for the comfort. Sennheisers headphones are more plastic and less durable I would say.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

15 hours ago, TekkyTG said:

Imo, open back is better if you're in a quiet area.

This wont really matter that much. If you game and want a generally better experience go with the DT 990 pros. If you worry about getting the sound into the mic just use a noise gate. It probably wont tho, unless you're listening on really high volumes. The E10k btw. That wont sound good with the DT 990 pros or the 770 pros 250ohm. You will impress your viewers when using proper audio equipment. Doesn't matter if they look different from gaming headsets.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)