"Please reboot and select proper boot device" ASUS Mobo and Windows 10

Tomsta

I have moved over to a new machine, however my old machine now doesn't want to boot (All i did was take my 2nd hard drive from it and put it into my new PC). Despite the fact the SSD is plugged in and recognised in the BIOS, is that first boot option in the BIOS and the BIOS itself has been set back to default it doesn't want to boot from it. This drive had my OS on it (Just wanted to try and get the product key as a spare); is there anyway i can get it to boot, or do i possibly have bad boot sectors on my drive?

The Mobo is several years old now, way past it's warranty

Did you already completely wipe the old 2nd hard drive of all its partitions? It probably contained the boot sector for your old system.

This happens more than you might think and I have seen this a good number of times myself.

Without that special partition, the old PC won't boot until you reinstall Windows.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, Not Wills said:

Is there a windows partition option or blank opinion when selecting boot drives.

Just shows the Samsung (brand of the SSD)

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Did you already completely wipe the old 2nd hard drive of all its partitions? It probably contained the boot sector for your old system.

This happens more than you might think and I have seen this a good number of times myself.

Without that special partition, the old PC won't boot until you reinstall Windows.

Doesn't have separate partitions, it was just a data drive

6 minutes ago, Tomsta said:

Just shows the Samsung (brand of the SSD)

Typical for a pre-UEFI system, yes. It won't show "Windows Boot Loader" like modern boards do.

3 minutes ago, Tomsta said:

Doesn't have separate partitions, it was just a data drive

Are you sure, though? If you open disk management in Windows, does it only show one partition? The boot partition usually doesn't show up with a drive letter to protect the files on it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Typical for a pre-UEFI system, yes. It won't show "Windows Boot Loader" like modern boards do.

Are you sure, though? If you open disk management in Windows, does it only show one partition? The boot partition usually doesn't show up with a drive letter to protect the files on it.

It has a "system reserved" partition on it. You thinking this might be the boot sector of the previous version of windows?

10 minutes ago, Tomsta said:

It has a "system reserved" partition on it. You thinking this might be the boot sector of the previous version of windows?

Very likely is, yes. You might be able to clone it to the Samsung SSD of the old system if you can resize the OS partition enough to fit it on there,

but reinstalling Windows is honestly just as quick at this point.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Very likely is, yes. You might be able to clone it to the Samsung SSD of the old system if you can resize the OS partition enough to fit it on there,

but reinstalling Windows is honestly just as quick at this point.

Yeah that's what i was thinking, i'm guessing i can just delete the aforementioned partition on the drive on my new system? When i installed windows there was only 1 drive installed in the system, so no spreading of boot sectors

Just now, Tomsta said:

Yeah that's what i was thinking, i'm guessing i can just delete the aforementioned partition on the drive on my new system? When i installed windows there was only 1 drive installed in the system, so no spreading of boot sectors

It's safe to remove in that case, yes.