Difference between X299 and Z490?

I am looking into an Asus mobo which is a choice between an X299 chipset or Z490.

What is the main difference between the 2 and which one is better from a perf and stability perspective?

edit: Ignore: I completely forgot about CPU compat here with regards to the socket. DAMN IT.

4 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

I am looking into an Asus mobo which is a choice between an X299 chipset or Z490.

What is the main difference between the 2 and which one is better from a perf and stability perspective?

edit: Ignore: I completely forgot about CPU compat here with regards to the socket. DAMN IT.

Seems like you realised in your edit, but they use a different CPU socket, so the CPU choices are different, making it difficult to compare them as you'd have to be comparing different CPUs as well. 

Generally, the X series chipsets are the enthusiast platform with the higher core count CPUs, though they tend to lag a little behind the Z series chipsets in terms of the most recent features if you're looking a the latest of each. 

lol. Right the Z490. :)

16 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

Dont even cross shop them... There really isn't anything on Z299 that would provide much of a benefit over Z490. Z490 has much faster chips. Basically, if Z299 was on your radar, just get AMD unless you wanted Intel validation for reliability and uptime the AMD imo can't quite get you. That said, I am referencing thousands of deployments. I wouldn't want to be the IT guy dealing with hundreds of thousands of AMD based machines, but 1.... not a big deal.

Point is, I would just look Z490 for Intel, or go AMD.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thanks.

I also then searched and looks like there is no i9 core extreme for the Z490 chipsets... which blows. :(

12 minutes ago, AhmedIlyas said:

which blows

Maybe because they're different sockets? Lol. 

5 hours ago, AhmedIlyas said:

What is the main difference between the 2

A lot of things. One is a completely different platform. Both being made by Intel doesn't mean anything. 

One is a consumer platform and one is am HEDT platform. 

They're different in a lot of ways. 

One scales up to 18 cores. 10th gen HEDT is really good for AVX 512, HEDT has quad channels. 

Different purposes etc..

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

thanks. yeah, its been over a decade being out of this game so... trying to "re-learn".

I keep hearing that Z490 is the way to go due to locking on memory speeds now? But seems Z490 is a 2020 release where as X299 was released in 2017... obviously a little older.

I'm surprised there is no core extreme for Z490.

1 minute ago, AhmedIlyas said:

I'm surprised there is no core extreme for Z490.

That's because this is a consumer platform. 

1 minute ago, AhmedIlyas said:

locking on memory speeds now?

That would be h and b series Intel board. Not z series. 

Zen 2 is also a great platform. Currently AMD is leading and they do have compelling options. 

Zen 3 will come out later this year and will be a serious upgrade. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is over a month old, but I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Pcie Lane difference between the enthusiast (x & x299) and the consumer (z470) options.

For example the Core i9-10850KA supports 16 Pcie lanes, while the Core i9-10900X supports 48 Pcie lanes (at a price difference on newegg of about $100).

But when you start looking at storage options the difference adds up - for example the " ASRock X299 CREATOR LGA 2066 Intel X299 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard" will (if I am reading the specs correctly) support RAID 0 on the M.2 slots (three of them). If I occupy all three slots that is 12 pcie lanes that I'm eating up right there. Add another 16 for my graphics card. Plus 4 more for my 10 gbps network adapter (this particular MB has 10 gbps built on but many don't). Totals a requirement of at least 32 Pcie lanes for full speed on all of these or double the number available on the Core i9-10850KA. (Btw, the non-threadripper AMD cpu's don't do much better; for example the Ryzen 9 3900XT has 24 pcie lanes, 4 of which are dedicated to the chipset)

I will be interested to see what the enthusiast cpu's look like in Intel's 11th gen series, as I would prefer to hold out for pcie version 4 support.