Which 1660 super brand?

Userman

I am on the market for a 1660 super and i am think i narrowed it down to 3 choices to go with ryzen 2600x/b450 tomahawk max

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Gaming X

Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Rog Strix

Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB Rog Strix OC

The first two go basically for the same money while the OC is 10 extra which wont break my bank.

I have checked the tier list thread and seems that gaming x and rog strix (and i assume its OC version) belong in the same tier

Frankly i dont look to manually overclock and rather get something from a reputable brand that works/is quiet and wont give me hassle,taking all that into account is there any clear winner/loser among these?

As far as I can tell, the ROG cards have bigger fans (100 mm instead of 90 mm). In theory that would mean quieter operation while under load. If you can spend a little extra, go for the higher clocked card. 

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

As far as I can tell, the ROG cards have bigger fans (100 mm instead of 90 mm). In theory that would mean quieter operation while under load. If you can spend a little extra, go for the higher clocked card. 

But if you cannot spend extra, you can always take the risk of overclocking it yourself.

Depends on the price, but usually none of those are worth buying because they're too expensive, getting often way too close to the next class of GPUs.

If they use the same coolers as the other 16XX GPUs, the MSI one is probably the quietest.

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Depends on the price, but usually none of those are worth buying because they're too expensive, getting often way too close to the next class of GPUs.

If they use the same coolers are the other 16XX GPUs, the MSI one is probably the quietest.

I see your point and frankly if i were to compare the strix oc and the cheapest 2060 avaliable (gigabyte oc) they have a 25 price difference which is manageable for my budget.Problem is that i dont have the monitor to support that kind of gpu and probably the cpu might bottleneck it or whatever

A quick update is that i found another brand of 1660super Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB OC (GV-N166SOC-6GD) which is noticeably cheaper than the other 1660s cards like 35-40 difference which in theory sounds great but i am not sure if its a considered good/bad and in the tier list only gaming OC and OC black are mentioned so and i have no idea where this card belongs

2 hours ago, KaitouX said:

If they use the same coolers are the other 16XX GPUs, the MSI one is probably the quietest.

Ya agree with this.  Premium models are almost never worth on the lower end, as the price for it will jump you up to the next tier card very often.  Usually a strix model might have you paying the price for that tier+1 in terms of SKU.  At that point I would look at a 1660ti or 2060 KO (usually the gigabyte ones are close to baseline MSRP and work well in my experience)

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

37 minutes ago, Zberg said:

Ya agree with this.  Premium models are almost never worth on the lower end, as the price for it will jump you up to the next tier card very often.  Usually a strix model might have you paying the price for that tier+1 in terms of SKU.  At that point I would look at a 1660ti or 2060 KO (usually the gigabyte ones are close to baseline MSRP and work well in my experience)

I would avoid the 1660Ti, as the 1660Ti performance is too close to the 1660 Super for it to be worth in my opinion. I would either go for a decent cheap cooler on the 1660 Super to save some money compared to the Strix/Gaming X or get some basic 5600XT/2060.

Also prices are dropping like crazy where I'm located, likely due to the imminent release of the new GPUs, both 1660S and 2060 dropped close to 15% in price in the last week. Might be worth checking for deals that might happen in the next few days/weeks.

11 hours ago, KaitouX said:

I would avoid the 1660Ti, as the 1660Ti performance is too close to the 1660 Super for it to be worth in my opinion. I would either go for a decent cheap cooler on the 1660 Super to save some money compared to the Strix/Gaming X or get some basic 5600XT/2060.

Also prices are dropping like crazy where I'm located, likely due to the imminent release of the new GPUs, both 1660S and 2060 dropped close to 15% in price in the last week. Might be worth checking for deals that might happen in the next few days/weeks.

Fair point, but just an example of the common trend of "lower tier + strix = just buy a higher tier card at MSRP".  The big beefy coolers and price jump isnt worth it until you are at least at 2070S / 2080S territory IMO.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Not arguing but from what i have been reading when checking for palit/inno/gainward and generally the so called "poor" brands for 2060 is that they sound like literal jets/get way too hot

Is the evga gaming/ultra gaming somehow better than the other ones?