Cloud Backup Recommendations

I've been using Carbonite for 2 years, and am mostly happy with it, but I think it's time to look for something else.

I have the Personal Plus plan, since I have a lot of video files and didn't want to manually select them all like the cheapest plan requires. I also have quite a few files that exceed the 4GB cutoff for auto backup, which is not a huge deal, but I'd prefer to not have to do that anymore.

The above being said, my biggest annoyances by far are:

• System files (.dll, .inf, etc) are not backed up automatically - I'm not trying to backup my OS, but I do like to keep other folders backed up where these exist
  • Confusing backup indicators - the backup indicators that tell me a file/folder is or is not backed up frequently don't make sense. It will be orange (pending backup), yet when I check the cloud, it's safely there already

I've been reading up on other options for the past few weeks, and will be looking to make a move at the end of August, when my Carbonite subscription runs out.

• My backup set will hover around 7-9TB, so high/unlimited storage is preferred
  • I'd prefer to not pay over $10-15/mo
  • Mobile app is nice, but not required
  • I have gigabit internet up/down, so I'd prefer one with decent upload speeds

From the reading I've done so far, I am trying to find the best option between these:

• Backblaze
  • CrashPlan
  • iDrive

Anyone have recent experience with these? Most comparisons and feedback online are 2-3 years old. I've seen mentions of encryption being riskier on Backblaze, since you need to upload your private key each time you want to download files, which technically means they're not zero-knowledge since the key allows them access to everything.

Backblaze. They rock, and they're innovators in the industry.

5 minutes ago, Pool Float said:

you need to upload your private key each time you want to download files, which technically means they're not zero-knowledge since the key allows them access to everything.

That is zero knowledge. You have to provide the private key because they can't decrypt your files without it. If they could, that means they would have the key stored, which would the be a problem.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

29 minutes ago, Pool Float said:

• Backblaze

Yes.

I use them for personal PC's which is great because unlimited, and then backup my FreeNAS homelab to their B2 service. B2 is not nearly as cheap, but its not really for "basic home users", which is ok, because your on windows backing up a normal machine, so your good to go with their standard service. I think its like 5 bucks a month for unlimited..? Amazing value. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

9 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Backblaze. They rock, and they're innovators in the industry.

That is zero knowledge. You have to provide the private key because they can't decrypt your files without it. If they could, that means they would have the key stored, which would the be a problem.

Thank you. I guess the main concern was a man-in-the-middle attack, but as I think about it with a refreshed mind, it does in fact make sense that you'd need to provide the key in order to access data they cannot otherwise decrypt. Researching while tired is not recommended.

9 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Yes.

I use them for personal PC's which is great because unlimited, and then backup my FreeNAS homelab to their B2 service. B2 is not nearly as cheap, but its not really for "basic home users", which is ok, because your on windows backing up a normal machine, so your good to go with their standard service. I think its like 5 bucks a month for unlimited..? Amazing value. 

I first heard of Backblaze a few months ago on an LTT video, and the price was definitely attractive. And not having to manually locate all >4GB files and system files that I want to backup will be a huge time savings as well.

4 hours ago, Pool Float said:

Thank you. I guess the main concern was a man-in-the-middle attack, but as I think about it with a refreshed mind, it does in fact make sense that you'd need to provide the key in order to access data they cannot otherwise decrypt. Researching while tired is not recommended.

I first heard of Backblaze a few months ago on an LTT video, and the price was definitely attractive. And not having to manually locate all >4GB files and system files that I want to backup will be a huge time savings as well.

I have not actually had to recover any data, but I am pretty sure you put the key into the application on your machine, not into the webUI... Thus they never actually hold the data as it would be encrypted and decrypted on your end. I am like 99.9% sure you put the key into the application on your machine.

Yea, I literally backup my entire machine..... I just don't use it on many as most of my PC's are "throw away". My main gaming PC doesn't have any backup, if the OS drive dies, o well. This macbook I am typing on is the same, there is nothing stored on it... But for the machines (family members) that I know would be sad if their PC died, I just let it backup the entire drive and I will figure it out later if that day ever comes.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air