Do Ryzen chipsets have slower post times?

Heyo

I have an "old" sata ssd, and was thinking of upgrading to an nvme as im running out of space, which made me think about boot times again.

Currently my OS boots to the login screen in around 3.5 seconds (~2 seconds kernel, 600ms init, 1 second userspace), so upgrading to nvme wont change that much. The largest chunk of my boot time comes from the 12 second long post.

This is of course the ultimate first world problem and it dosent bother me much, but after doing some research i realised that AMD boards dont have a fast boot option, and tend to have slower post times overall compared to intel boards which can often post in under 5 seconds.

Im curious if anyone knows what causes this, or if i f*ed up my research and and im completely wrong haha.

Is it just a thing with b450 and not with x570? Is it a ryzen cpu issue?

I experienced the same thing going from z370 8600K to B450 3700X with the exact same SSD. Ryzen boot times are almost doubled. Not really an issue for me as it's still under 20 secs from pressing the power button to the os. But definetily something i noticed at first.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

i went from a i7 4770 to r5 3600 and i havent noticed slower boot times but ive never timed it

No such issues on a 3600. Is your BIOS updated and is the chipset driver the latest from AMD? Not from the board website but from the AMD site.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

No such issues on a 3600. Is your BIOS updated and is the chipset driver the latest from AMD? Not from the board website but from the AMD site.

Im using a 1600 so maybe its improved since, and yea im running the latest bios
IIRC Chipset drivers shouldnt affect this, since the chipset drivers are for the OS and dont affect the bios (Also im using linux, so chipset drivers are in the kernel and not from the amd site in my case. not sure exactly how drivers for this kinda thing works here in penguin-land but the long post times existed when i used michaelsoft bindows too)