Any Point OC AMD Fx-300 ?

Is there any point overclocking FX-8300 with Asus M5A97 r2.0 .. was trying get some more perfomanc and Ghz boost but it was unstable .. not stock cooler .. maybe i has a bad sillicon cause Fx-4300 was working at 4.6Ghz .. thx

IMG_20200710_041440.jpg

Amd Ryzen 5 5600 Zen 3 OC 4.6Ghz 

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Casual gamer since dune 2 and wolf 3d and dukem nukem 3d

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/apokhallipsa/saved/j4rn23

I mean you can do it. It'll barely give you a performance increase but you can do it. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I mean you can do it. It'll barely give you a performance increase but you can do it. 

Yeah that was my guess it not have a point .. im running most Auto setting only Turbo at 4.2Ghz and dynamic so its get to 1.4Ghz in idle for better temp at summer .. thx anyway

best FQ i get 4.44Ghz at turbo and like 55°C

Edited by apoKhallipsa

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

55c isn't too hot, the norm an FX will flake out at is around 62c and you may already realize it but idle temps don't really mean anything - It's load temps that matters.

What voltage are you setting for the CPU in the BIOS?
Getting that right is a big part in making one run to it's potential without issue.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

55c isn't too hot, the norm an FX will flake out at is around 62c and you may already realize it but idle temps don't really mean anything - It's load temps that matters.

What voltage are you setting for the CPU in the BIOS?
Getting that right is a big part in making one run to it's potential without issue.

I put it on Auto for now kinda ranges between 1.2-1.3v and get 3.6Ghz Base and 4.4Ghz Boost out of it dont wanna push it much...in past at 4.5-4.6Ghz was unstable with 3.8Ghz Base .. so better keep it down for stability

btw

300 series dont liike temp over 60°C cause of is 95w so cant push it much like 125w model .. its older ..and my cooler isnt top notch with heat from GPU isnt there room for heat ...yeah

Edited by apoKhallipsa

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

It needs around 1.40v's to be fully stable at those speeds (4.5GHz), that would be what I personally would expect, maybe a little less/more (Depending on the exact chip and board used) but 1.40v's sounds about right.

The wattage rating (95W) doesn't affect overall overclockability that much vs a 125W chip, all FX chips tend to clock up within a certain range and the 8300 is really no exception - It may not want to go quite as far but it will go up. 
The only ones that may be different are the "E" version chips, those I heard (Never experienced personally) tend to dud early in comparison to the non-E chips.

As for the 8300's overclockability I have two and this is what I made one of them do:
Bones`s wPrime - 1024m score: 2min 38sec 734ms with a FX-8300
Bones`s SuperPi - 32M score: 10min 49sec 562ms with a FX-8300

If I were you and just wanting to mess with the chip I'd set it up with watercooling, a nice AIO would be great for it and I'd at least get a 2 fan unit but preferably a 3 fan unit - Maybe a custom WC setup like I have for mine when I run them on water.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

It needs around 1.40v's to be fully stable at those speeds (4.5GHz), that would be what I personally would expect, maybe a little less/more (Depending on the exact chip and board used) but 1.40v's sounds about right.

The wattage rating (95W) doesn't affect overall overclockability that much vs a 125W chip, all FX chips tend to clock up within a certain range and the 8300 is really no exception - It may not want to go quite as far but it will go up. 
The only ones that may be different are the "E" version chips, those I heard (Never experienced personally) tend to dud early in comparison to the non-E chips.

As for the 8300's overclockability I have two and this is what I made one of them do:
Bones`s wPrime - 1024m score: 2min 38sec 734ms with a FX-8300
Bones`s SuperPi - 32M score: 10min 49sec 562ms with a FX-8300

If I were you and just wanting to mess with the chip I'd set it up with watercooling, a nice AIO would be great for it and I'd at least get a 2 fan unit but preferably a 3 fan unit - Maybe a custom WC setup like I have for mine when I run them on water.

Temperatures are not really issue rn but every change i made did unstable system .. hard freezes or crashes so better gonna let on Auto even if that mean only 3.6Ghz working spees and sometimes boost up to 4.2Ghz .. even tryied set a votage manually around 1.404 volts and some changes to the settings around .. overall freezes  or crashes everytime .. didnt have that problem with fx-4300 that one max out 4.6Ghz but temps were at limits shutting down .. i just think this sillicon is not 100% top noch and dont like much overclock from basic settings tho .. and also motherboard maybe doesnt like it either .. but its better than 4.6Ghz FX-4300 tho .. well hope so 

and yeah i know FX can be overcloked up to insane speeds .. im just wanna keep it casual for work and some gaming

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Thing is with FX it can get hot and doesn't take as much as you'd think to get it there.
Also remember you have twice the cores with the 8300 than you do with the 4300. Even though the 4300 is a 125W chip it's still easier to keep cool because of that and anytime you exceed the stock specs things change of course.
I do agree though it's entirely possible the 8300 you have is a dud but again, you are OC'ing it on air too.

One thing I can suggest is to place a small fan on the VRM area, that can and probrably will help you and it's been said before one blowing on the socket area itself can help sometimes.
I do suspect throttling is occuring and keeping the VRM's cool will certainly help with that issue if it exists and I have no reason to believe it doesn't.
just try it and see if it changes anything.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Thing is with FX it can get hot and doesn't take as much as you'd think to get it there.
Also remember you have twice the cores with the 8300 than you do with the 4300. Even though the 4300 is a 125W chip it's still easier to keep cool because of that and anytime you exceed the stock specs things change of course.
I do agree though it's entirely possible the 8300 you have is a dud but again, you are OC'ing it on air too.

One thing I can suggest is to place a small fan on the VRM area, that can and probrably will help you and it's been said before one blowing on the socket area itself can help sometimes.
I do suspect throttling is occuring and keeping the VRM's cool will certainly help with that issue if it exists and I have no reason to believe it doesn't.
just try it and see if it changes anything.

well i just had a hard freeze only with watching netflix .. so

i have like 6 fans around  CPU cooler chipset heatsink and there is a air flow around VRM so should be enough .. i just think my sillicon is good with stock specs 3.3Ghz base 3.6Ghz working load with 4.2Ghz .. and 1.4Ghz iddle .. but when i change things .. pc crashes .. or freezes .. it is possible that MB cant handle twice as much cores with OC when she did on 4300 .. 

thus i did this toppic even to just think about if it does matter on this CPU to do some casual OC like for games .. or if isnt worth it .. i like to keep it on dynamic Frequency cause no need to run  over 4Ghz when idle .. buzt what i learned is that u can run over 4Ghz all the time .. or u can have lower temp with dynamic .. middle ground not much working and if 8300 sillion i have is not really 100% perfect .. dont wanna risk it damage .. cause i have no replace second CPU is in another MB working as second workstation pc for office stuf .. and budget rn cant handle new PC .. but thx anyway

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Ah - I see all the fans in the pic now!

What can I say - I'm blind. 🤭

It's possible things like your board are just showing their age too, I'd have to guess it used to not do all that but lately it's began acting out. The only thing I can say is if you can reduce temps that would help and you're already doing what you can that's tweaking related.

Running it on water or an AIO is the only way I see things getting better here.

Good luck with it!

WElp at the end of the day .. any overclock with FX-8300 on this board was usntable .. playing War Thunder .. AC Syndicate or Rise of Tomb Raider made id freeze crash or lock glitch ...

So im on basic 3.3Ghz with 3.6Ghz working load .. and sometimees 4.2Ghz Boost all auto Boost enabled ..

its working at 55°C with temp sensor but my estimated is CPU alone is going over 60°C sometimes when GPU start heating system with 80°C on full load

Sooo ... 8300 Pointless ... but from 4300 i get like 4.6Ghz stable Overclock

Ende

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz