Backup and Upgrade question

I just bought an x570 board and a Ryzen 9. I'm upgrading from x99. I want to be able to move my data and hopefully software as seamlessly as possible as I have about 300-400 pieces of software installed and it would take forever to reinstall everything. 

What would be the best course of action for me to upgrade this with as little headache as possible?

Is there a way to back up my instance of windows with software and restore to it after the upgrade?

All of data and software live on C://
My games and media live on D://, E://, and my NAS

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

I just bought an x570 board and a Ryzen 9. I'm upgrading from x99. I want to be able to move my data and hopefully software as seamlessly as possible as I have about 300-400 pieces of software installed and it would take forever to reinstall everything. 

What would be the best course of action for me to upgrade this with as little headache as possible?

Is there a way to back up my instance of windows with software and restore to it after the upgrade?

All of data and software live on C://
My games and media live on D://, E://, and my NAS

If it's Windows 10, and you're not moving from legacy boot to UEFI, it should boot without any manual intervention. However, Windows will want re-activating, so if you don't have a retail version with a key, you might have issues.

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

If it's Windows 10, and you're not moving from legacy boot to UEFI, it should boot without any manual intervention. However, Windows will want re-activating, so if you don't have a retail version with a key, you might have issues.

Its windows 10 and I believe my boot is set to UEFI (need to double check).

Will any issues arise as a result of switching mobo and cpu considering the old stuff will still be on the boot drive?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, TehDwonz said:

However, Windows will want re-activating, so if you don't have a retail version with a key, you might have issues.

That said, I recently moved a Windows 10 SSD between two completely different systems, and the license sorted itself out. No idea why, it's not a retail version. Moved from a Q45 based Intel board to an SC5500 dual socket, so it's not like they were even the same - maybe M$ is being generous atm? :)

You could always move the boot drive over to the new PC, and see if it boots up? If it doesn't, just move it back.

2 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Its windows 10 and I believe my boot is set to UEFI (need to double check).

Will any issues arise as a result of switching mobo and cpu considering the old stuff will still be on the boot drive?

Yeah, the license issue i mentioned (maybe?). As long as the new system is set to UEFI (it will be by default on an x570), it should see it and at least try to boot Windows. You might get some errors along the way, but it should get to the logon screen. Let it sit there for 15min, then shut down without logging in and reboot and log in. That's what I did. I think I got lucky with the license, YMMV.

6 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

That said, I recently moved a Windows 10 SSD between two completely different systems, and the license sorted itself out.

Are you logging in using a Microsoft account? If so, the license might be linked to your account and not the PC. As such, when they detected the other PC wasn't connected to the internet anymore, the license was enabled to the new one.

Also, don't triple post. Use the Edit function.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Are you logging in using a Microsoft account? If so, the license might be linked to your account and not the PC. As such, when they detected the other PC wasn't connected to the internet anymore, the license was enabled to the new one.

Nope, I never use M$ accounts. That's what was so weird about it. If I recall, it self-activated after a few reboots and some windows updates after moving the SSD over. I'm actually moving over to virtualization atm, so it'll be interesting to see if it can repeat this amazing feat going from baremetal to a KVM... ;)

2 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Yeah, the license issue i mentioned (maybe?). As long as the new system is set to UEFI (it will be by default on an x570), it should see it and at least try to boot Windows. You might get some errors along the way, but it should get to the logon screen. Let it sit there for 15min, then shut down without logging in and reboot and log in. That's what I did. I think I got lucky with the license, YMMV.

I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens instead of simply speculating. If it works, it'll cut down on the amount of installs and configurations I would need to do. (which is honestly dreadful).

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Also, don't triple post. Use the Edit function.

No. Not connected to my MS account. I have a key. When I moved my instance of Windows to a new machine, it worked with minimal effort. Not exactly worried about that. 

The big issue will be all of the drivers that might case a BSOD (kernel panic / system crash on boot) due to the difference in drivers from old platform to the new one. You might get lucky though.

Unfortunately, for some reason there's no way to perform a BMR (Bare Metal Recovery) backup via GUI (Graphical User Interface) in Windows 10. However, you can using an elevated command prompt running wbadmin

I haven't validated the URL, but this should work. I recommend googling wbadmin for more info on how to use it properly.

https://pureinfotech.com/use-wbadmin-create-windows-10-system-image-backup/

Alternative solutions are Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE and Acronis True Image 2020.

Because you're moving platforms, Acronis True Image 2020 might be the best choice because it touts the following...

Universal Restore

"Easily restore your system to the same or new hardware with our bootable media and driver injection technology. Your backed up data is quickly loaded on the machine of your choice." -Acronis

54 minutes ago, StDragon said:

The big issue will be all of the drivers that might case a BSOD (kernel panic / system crash on boot) due to the difference in drivers from old platform to the new one. You might get lucky though.

Unfortunately, for some reason there's no way to perform a BMR (Bare Metal Recovery) backup via GUI (Graphical User Interface) in Windows 10. However, you can using an elevated command prompt running wbadmin

I haven't validated the URL, but this should work. I recommend googling wbadmin for more info on how to use it properly.

https://pureinfotech.com/use-wbadmin-create-windows-10-system-image-backup/

Alternative solutions are Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE and Acronis True Image 2020.

Because you're moving platforms, Acronis True Image 2020 might be the best choice because it touts the following...

This looks interesting. I'm definitely going to take a look. Thanks!