POP Os has stopped using my GPU after update

Go to solution Solved by GCandy77,

Ive actually fixed my own issue for once 😀

Ive actually fixed it n im not to sure if it was me that caused the issue or the update still?

I ran -

dpkg -l | grep -i amdgpu

and noticed that ROCm was in the list, so I ran

dpkg --purge rock-dkms & dpkg --purge rock-dkms-firmware , removed the PPA manually & rebooted - Viola - AMD® Hawaii is back - Phew!!!

The problems was that the ROCm PPA was still in my repo list even tho I removed it via the AMD Wiki & had been working fine as shown in the vid until Pop updated??

All in all Im glad I fixed it, but its a shame that I dont really know why it happened in the 1st place ?

If your wondering why I had the ROCm drivers installed - I own a R9 290 n I was trying to get AMDGPU working so that I can use Opengl 4.5

Hundred of guides n wiki that all advise I needed to use amdgpu-pro & a few also suggested to try the ROCm setup ..  Non of them worked & now Ive given in n also own Win10 for 3 games that require vulkan in linux😆   

Im quite chuffed I fixed this on my own for once - I dont feel a complete noob anymore 😀

2007132854_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0621-26-00.thumb.png.3119bd4ea4b26333b2161bdb2b2045c7.pngScreenshot_from_2020-07-06_21-29-53.thumb.png.997c4b2eeccaac06cbb75124c32ca1a0.png

Hi ... Shorter version below - Long version with logs & vids linked at end,

Ive been using PopOs 20.04 since the day it was released using the Oibaf ppa for a R9 290 without an issue when using the Radeon API.

2 days ago the pop-shop advised there was an update of which I ran & completed fine, but upon my next boot everything was slow n laggy.

I should have check this 1st, but eventually looked at the "sys details" and noticed that it was only using the "llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.1, 256 bits)" API. 

Naturally, I was a bit perplexed as why an update would break my Os & why this had happen generally?

Im a little new to linux n the only thing I could think of doing was to re-install the drivers just in case of corruption, I did this using this guide - https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

That did not solve the issue & im still stuck with the llvmpipe Api being used when I boot and dont know what to do next ..  Its pretty much rendered my Os useless for what I use it for - Gaming :(

Anyone got an idea how I can fix this?

Here`s a post on Reddit that has more info & a b4 & after vid showing what's happened to my system - https://www.reddit.com/r/pop_os/comments/hm8612/popshop_updates_has_made_my_whole_gui_lagg/

8 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

Shorter version below

What are your hardware specs?

Perhaps roll back the update?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Hi & thx for the reply,

Unfortunately I did not install timeshift & I dont know any other way of rolling back?

My HW specs are - I5 2500, 16gb ram @ 1333 mhz & a R9 290 - 64bit Os

On further investigation, I found that the "grub" was set to default "Quiet splash" so used this command

955528793_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0618-17-17.thumb.png.c8337198cbbd42b8b57d76a80c579979.png

host +si:localuser:root; sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

and edited the grub to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=1 radeon.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=0"   ( I Dont use AMDGPU )

Saved, exit & then sudo update-grub

Rebooted but its still stuck on llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.1, 256 bits) .... I am out of ideas apart from to re-install from scratch :(

Ive actually fixed my own issue for once 😀

Ive actually fixed it n im not to sure if it was me that caused the issue or the update still?

I ran -

dpkg -l | grep -i amdgpu

and noticed that ROCm was in the list, so I ran

dpkg --purge rock-dkms & dpkg --purge rock-dkms-firmware , removed the PPA manually & rebooted - Viola - AMD® Hawaii is back - Phew!!!

The problems was that the ROCm PPA was still in my repo list even tho I removed it via the AMD Wiki & had been working fine as shown in the vid until Pop updated??

All in all Im glad I fixed it, but its a shame that I dont really know why it happened in the 1st place ?

If your wondering why I had the ROCm drivers installed - I own a R9 290 n I was trying to get AMDGPU working so that I can use Opengl 4.5

Hundred of guides n wiki that all advise I needed to use amdgpu-pro & a few also suggested to try the ROCm setup ..  Non of them worked & now Ive given in n also own Win10 for 3 games that require vulkan in linux😆   

Im quite chuffed I fixed this on my own for once - I dont feel a complete noob anymore 😀

2007132854_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0621-26-00.thumb.png.3119bd4ea4b26333b2161bdb2b2045c7.pngScreenshot_from_2020-07-06_21-29-53.thumb.png.997c4b2eeccaac06cbb75124c32ca1a0.png

1 minute ago, GCandy77 said:

AMDGPU has experiemintal support for Sea Islands (cik - your R9 290), so long as your Distro compiles the kernel with support enabled. 

Not sure if this will work on PopOS! but you could give this a try.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_(SI)_and_Sea_Islands_(CIK)_support

3 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

AMDGPU has experiemintal support for Sea Islands (cik - your R9 290), so long as your Distro compiles the kernel with support enabled. 

Not sure if this will work on PopOS! but you could give this a try.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_(SI)_and_Sea_Islands_(CIK)_support

HI Nayr438 .. Long time no speak :) 

Yeh I have tried that guide n still unfortunately had no success :(  It was actually that page that lead me onto some further reading that suggested that I needed to use the amdgpu-pro API of which i followed the guide & no change.

From the reading Ive done it seems that the SI cards always seem to have an issue with the latest Kernel - Ive read so many similar posts that go back to 16.04 & repeat again in 18.04 & now at 20.04, so Im assuming its just a waiting game until its implemented cleanly again in a year or so 🙄

Ive just got hold of a spare ssd & plan to have a tinker with Manjaro soon - so u never know 😉