Heatpipe plastic wrap

I was trying to get the temp from my Alienware laptop down. And I found this black plastic wrap covering the heatpipes. Does it have any functional purpose and is it ok if I just take it out? I was thinking take it out, expose the heatpipes and maybe slap on something like a fan or a block to cool the pipes, getting my thermals better. 

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

There isn't really an effective way to reduce laptop temperatures besides replacing the thermal compound with something higher quality. The shink wrap type black stuff on heatpipes is simply for look.

I did repaste and undervolt, and I got down like 10C. Was thinking of some other ways

9 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah, at that point you are kinda out of options, unless you want to do what LTT did and custom fabricate a waterblock for your CPU and run pipes out the back. (Need CNC mill and a lot of other stuff to do that)

I was thinking if I can get the heatpipes exposed, stick a block onto those pipes and just run a simple loop, I think I can give the thermals some headroom. Since alot of heat will be put away from the pipe by the loop, relying less on the fans and rad. 

13 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah, at that point you are kinda out of options, unless you want to do what LTT did and custom fabricate a waterblock for your CPU and run pipes out the back. (Need CNC mill and a lot of other stuff to do that)

And I'm not planning something like milling or what LTT did. Something like a loop and a long copper pipe as a block should work. Add it into my laptop stand and have the weight of the laptop pushing the 2 together with some thermal paste in the middle.

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Yeah, I mean do you want it to be portable though? Because in order to get good thermal contact you either are going to need to thermal epoxy the heatpipes to your waterblock, or if they aren't flattened out, make your own block. The former would basically make it so you can't close the bottom of your laptop, so you would need to put it on a stand 24/7.

It is portable, just take the laptop off, wipe the pipe of a bit and put the bottom housing on. Personally I dont mind putting on the 5 screws.