Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juju462

Lenovo T570 mystery slot?

Thanks everyone for the insight!  I was able to find this on Lenovo's forums. So if anyone else was wondering yes it's possible and no there is no bios lock....at least according to this forum on Lenovo's site.  lol

 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T570-add-M-2-SSD/m-p/3914022?page=1#3915200

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Can anyone help me identify what this slot is for?  I'm REALLY hoping it's for a 2242 nvme drive....but lining up a 2280 nvme drive the contact points dont fit....I was thinking it also may be for an M.2 SSD but I dont see a second notch for the SSD key to fit. Amy insight would be appreciated!

20200705_111721~2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Can anyone help me identify what this slot is for?  I'm REALLY hoping it's for a 2242 nvme drive....but lining up a 2280 nvme drive the contact points dont fit....I was thinking it also may be for an M.2 SSD but I dont see a second notch for the SSD key to fit. Amy insight would be appreciated!

20200705_111721~2.jpg

m.2 Wi-Fi card slot... that would also explain the two leads.

Or is the card to the left of it for Wi-Fi...?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

m.2 Wi-Fi card slot... that would also explain the two leads.

Or is the card to the left of it for Wi-Fi...?

The card on the left is a wifi card

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be it only works for sata m.2. I have a hard time believing it comes with 2 slots for wifi. 


At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Can anyone help me identify what this slot is for?  I'm REALLY hoping it's for a 2242 nvme drive....but lining up a 2280 nvme drive the contact points dont fit....I was thinking it also may be for an M.2 SSD but I dont see a second notch for the SSD key to fit. Amy insight would be appreciated!

 

It's a Mini PCIe. Meant for a mobile network card for mobile internet access - see the SIM slot near the battery? However, you could put almost any other mini-PCIe card there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

 

It's a Mini PCIe. Meant for a mobile network card for mobile internet access - see the SIM slot near the battery? However, you could put almost any other mini-PCIe card there.

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.


y'all need to poop more often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Levent said:

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.

ah yes, I forgot the modern ones have stupid whitelisting (like the Acer plug-in GPUs...). Still, having a built-in mobile data option is nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Levent said:

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.

So this means a SATA M.2 wouldnt work?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

 

It's a Mini PCIe. Meant for a mobile network card for mobile internet access - see the SIM slot near the battery? However, you could put almost any other mini-PCIe card there.

So would a SATA M.2 work out?

 

I'd like to use that as a boot drive and have a bigger HDD as storage...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Sadly you most likely cant, almost every lenovo laptop I had my hands on had whitelisted bioses. But you are correct about the socket, it is MPCIE.

I did find this after some research and it gives me some hope that what I'm aiming for will work out...any thoughts after watching this will be appreciated 

 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid100767

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juju462 said:

So would a SATA M.2 work out?

 

I'd like to use that as a boot drive and have a bigger HDD as storage...

No. There are some mPCIe storage devices, but not very common - and as @Levent mentioned, they are likely blocked in BIOS. Only way to really know is if you had a spare mPCIe device to try - not worth buying anything to test it though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

Could be it only works for sata m.2. I have a hard time believing it comes with 2 slots for wifi. 

I really hope that's what its for

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

No. There are some mPCIe storage devices, but not very common - and as @Levent mentioned, they are likely blocked in BIOS. Only way to really know is if you had a spare mPCIe device to try - not worth buying anything to test it though.

Even with the info from the video I just posted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juju462 said:

Even with the info from the video I just posted?

That was not related to that slot - it was about putting an M.2 in the 2.5" drive bay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

No. There are some mPCIe storage devices, but not very common - and as @Levent mentioned, they are likely blocked in BIOS. Only way to really know is if you had a spare mPCIe device to try - not worth buying anything to test it though.

So if SATA M.2 runs on mPCIe what standard does an NVME M.2 use...because it's not fitting in this slot

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

That was not related to that slot - it was about putting an M.2 in the 2.5" drive bay?

Keep watching ...he drops a SATA M.2 in the slot I was asking about...next to the wifi card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

That was not related to that slot - it was about putting an M.2 in the 2.5" drive bay?

Timestamp 3:55

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Juju462 said:

Timestamp 3:55

Looks like maybe they don't have a whitelist then? You're right, that is the slot - might be worth a go? The second notch just means it's a SATA/AHCI device, instead of nvme. Beware that there may still be a whitelist in place - he may be using an "approved" SATA card from Lenovo?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's an A key m.2, as mentioned it's for 4G cards. I think the A key means it has embedded USB as opposed to embedded SATA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

I think that's an A key m.2, as mentioned it's for 4G cards. I think the A key means it has embedded USB as opposed to embedded SATA.

The official Lenovo video does show fitting storage there though, so at the very least, a Lenovo-supplied card would work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

Thanks everyone for the insight!  I was able to find this on Lenovo's forums. So if anyone else was wondering yes it's possible and no there is no bios lock....at least according to this forum on Lenovo's site.  lol

 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T570-add-M-2-SSD/m-p/3914022?page=1#3915200

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Juju462 said:

Thanks everyone for the insight!  I was able to find this on Lenovo's forums. So if anyone else was wondering yes it's possible and no there is no bios lock....at least according to this forum on Lenovo's site.  lol

 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T570-add-M-2-SSD/m-p/3914022?page=1#3915200

That's great, thanks for adding that - maybe mark that as the "best answer" so others can skip our ramblings? ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×