AMD 3600 running hot on stock cooler

BradIJM

Hey guys, 

Just built my new system with my 3600, but at idle, the CPU is running at 55-60 degrees at idle. I'm using the stock cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste swapped with Artic Silver MX-4, but that didn't fix the issue. I'm looking at upgrading to a water cooler to fix the issue, but want to know if this is normal behaviour for the R5 3600. 

I've even tried undervolting it to no avail. 

If anyone knows of any other solutions, please let me know. 

The rest of the system is as follows:

R5 3600 @ stock

Asus B550-f Wifi Mobo

16gb DDR4 CL16 3600mHz running in D.O.C.P

GTX1060 (waiting for ampere to upgrade)

Thanks in advance. 

Normal behavior. Not all cores are actually at 60c, only a single one. 

I wouldn't worry about it at all, if you want to "fix it", then disable pbo and core boosting in bios, but that is pointless.

Basically what ryzen 3000 does, is that when idle, most cores are turned off, and then 1 or 2 cores are at very high speeds at a time.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo CPU fan cooler.  My idle temps are usually 35-40c.   My normal gaming loads don't push it much higher either.   The Arctic cpu cooler is also fairly quiet as well and easy to manage in the BIOS.  They are PWM fans.

If you are worried about the temps, don't go overboard on a water cooler unless you just want to.   There are great Air CPU coolers that will work just as efficient as the water coolers.

Here is a screen shot of my temperatures using the Arctic cooler under light load (running discord, web-browser multiple tabs).  Nothing demanding:

image.png.f066da2202b7b21288d6d5ef0dcc7590.png

When I am running games like Elite Dangerous, MechWarrior 5 the temps will go up but they stay well in check.  I keep monitoring it just in case.

*Edit* yes this is normal behavior and not a concern, but you can make adjustments to run cooler and with less power draw.*

Undervolt your CPU. Better yet, overclock it at lower voltage.

My board runs stock voltage insanely high. 1.45 idle and 1.35 under heavy stress tests. I can run prime95 stable 4.3ghz all core OC at 1.3 vcore. 4.2ghz all core at 1.25 vcore. I run medium LLC as well.

You can set a negative voltage offset, but have heard some people suffer from instability.

Try 42 multiplier and 1.25Vcore and see if you are stable.

16 hours ago, BradIJM said:

Hey guys, 

Just built my new system with my 3600, but at idle, the CPU is running at 55-60 degrees at idle. I'm using the stock cooler with the pre-applied thermal paste swapped with Artic Silver MX-4, but that didn't fix the issue. I'm looking at upgrading to a water cooler to fix the issue, but want to know if this is normal behaviour for the R5 3600. 

I've even tried undervolting it to no avail. 

If anyone knows of any other solutions, please let me know. 

The rest of the system is as follows:

R5 3600 @ stock

Asus B550-f Wifi Mobo

16gb DDR4 CL16 3600mHz running in D.O.C.P

GTX1060 (waiting for ampere to upgrade)

Thanks in advance. 

Maybe you have really bad airflow in your case, can you post a picture of it showing all the fans without the side panel?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256