Going over 80C when using CPU-Z stress test on R5 3600

Finally trying to get the PBO and Core Performance Boost trying to work properly(?).

Now that i realised i hadnt installed AMD Chipset drivers, i installed them enabled the Ryzen Balanced Power Setting (99%, 100%) and ran CPU-Z tests.

The bench test ended on about 78 degrees, but the stress test however went over 80 and that was when i stopped the test since i read that over 80 degrees is bad.

Should i get a new cooler if i want the temps to be lower or is something wrong?

BIOS settings:

Basically everything on auto, A-XMP enabled, CPPC enabled, CPPC preferred cores enabled, Cool&Quiet enabled, Global C state enabled, as according to reddit.

I have 1 intake fan on the front, 2 exhausts on the top and 1 exhaust on the back, all 120mm.

Ryzen 5 3600

Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular

MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4

Also, basically every time i start the PC and go traight to Core Temp the temperatures spike to 60-70C.

80c is normal especially considering it was under a stress test 

Which is a load that your cpu won't hit in a a casual load 

It's completely normal.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

80c is normal especially considering it was under a stress test 

Which is a load that your cpu won't hit in a a casual load 

It's completely normal.

Alright, thank you for clarifying.

I guess i'll just leave everything as is for now.

80 degrees is not really bad if we're talking about lifetime. It may impact how well your CPU boosts but it shouldn't cause a CPU to have a reduced lifespan in any noticeable degree throughout its useful life.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 minutes ago, renchy_is_sketchy said:

Alright, thank you for clarifying.

I guess i'll just leave everything as is for now.

It is a "Stresstest" after all. Almost no real-world task will have such an impact on your CPU. If it stays below 80°C while gaming youre good. Quick and high temp spikes are pretty normal with ryzen. These spikes happen with my Nocuta NH-D15 aswell.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

FWIW, on Prime95's SmallFFT test, my 3700X peaked at around 65 degrees before the CPU downclocked to base, maintaining 63 degrees without much noise.

In actual use, that's the temps I got mostly because my CPU was boosting more. The cooler is a Dark Rock 4 non-Pro

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

FWIW, on Prime95's SmallFFT test, my 3700X peaked at around 65 degrees before the CPU downclocked to base, maintaining 63 degrees without much noise.

In actual use, that's the temps I got mostly because my CPU was boosting more. The cooler is a Dark Rock 4 non-Pro

Why is it downclocking at 65°C? Never seen that with my 3700X. Normally downclocking happens at 95°C.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Why is it downclocking at 65°C? Never seen that with my 3700X. Normally downclocking happens at 95°C.

Nothing to do with temps. It just hit the PPT limit as the Small FFT test required quite a bit of power.

On Cinebench R20, it maintained roughly 4GHz whilst at the 88W PPT limit.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Never seen that with my 3700X.

I could be wrong 

But since it's prime 95 with AVX 

I would assume it is the AVX offset 

Again I could be wrong as I don't know D13H4RD's setup.

Edit: and I was wrong lol

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

I could be wrong 

But since it's prime 95 with AVX 

I would assume it is the AVX offset 

Again I could be wrong as I don't know D13H4RD's setup.

Edit: and I was wrong lol

The is no AVX offset on AMD. That is just an Intel thing. However AVX instructions use a lot of power so you may be hitting PPT which will reduce the boost, achieving a similar looking result, but only if that limit is hit.