Remote Low Latency PC

I'm only new to all of this and have started setting up my first server with a plex server and a few vm's. I am looking to build slowly a new rack mount workstation in the same rack. But then have a mini-pc on the desk which remotes into the workstation pc. I want to know if I can somehow pretty much negate lag so it's as if it was right next to my desk. I have CAT 6a from the server to the room I am going to and it'll have wifi 6 as backup with hopefully an upgrade to 6e when it becomes consumer. The server internally has all 10Gbe between NAS (not that it ever can fill it) and the server itself and eventually the workstation.
Want to know:
- Extra equipment to reduce lag
- Minimum  hardware requirements to run a low latency

I was also thinking whether I can somehow use a pcie riser to usb c on the server/workstation --> a break out of usb-c and split over two Ethernet CAT 6a --> combine the two Ethernet cords into breakout of usb c at the desk -->usb-c hub for display and peripherals? 

You could do what Linus did and run Thunderbolt over fiber into a dock where everything is connected.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Uptivuptiz said:

You could do what Linus did and run Thunderbolt over fiber into a dock where everything is connected.

I saw this I just wasn't sure if it's pretty much my only option

The latency over copper here is <1ms. Your choice of remote access software will probably play a larger role in the performance of your connection than trying to reduce the connections below either P2P or through a 10Gig switch.

3 minutes ago, Acronis95 said:

I saw this I just wasn't sure if it's pretty much my only option

Well, another option is using a KVM Extender for display and USB devices.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The latency over copper here is <1ms. Your choice of remote access software will probably play a larger role in the performance of your connection than trying to reduce the connections below either P2P or through a 10Gig switch.

There isn't any way to even boot and have the whole server act like components over thunderbolt or something?

12 minutes ago, Acronis95 said:

I'm only new to all of this and have started setting up my first server with a plex server and a few vm's. I am looking to build slowly a new rack mount workstation in the same rack. But then have a mini-pc on the desk which remotes into the workstation pc. I want to know if I can somehow pretty much negate lag so it's as if it was right next to my desk. I have CAT 6a from the server to the room I am going to and it'll have wifi 6 as backup with hopefully an upgrade to 6e when it becomes consumer. The server internally has all 10Gbe between NAS (not that it ever can fill it) and the server itself and eventually the workstation.
Want to know:

I was also thinking whether I can somehow use a pcie riser to usb c on the server/workstation --> a break out of usb-c and split over two Ethernet CAT 6a --> combine the two Ethernet cords into breakout of usb c at the desk -->usb-c hub for display and peripherals? 

Even with the best remote solution there will be delay as the data has to be streamed. So essentially do what linus did if you want to just have a pc somewhere else. Not really any other option for a very long distance. There are options for shorter distances (10m).

3 minutes ago, Acronis95 said:

There isn't any way to even boot and have the whole server act like components over thunderbolt or something?

If your motherboard supports thunderbolt (not all of them do) you can buy one of those expensive fibre cables and a thunderbolt dock. Linus did a video on one years ago. I'll try and dig it up.

25 minutes ago, Acronis95 said:

Want to know:

It really depends on how you’re using that VM. 

Simply doing a basic build on the miniPC, then using either RDP or the remote console software for your VM platform would likely provide sufficiently minimal performance impacts. 

I wouldn’t even bother with Thunderbolt unless you’ve exhausted other options. 

With that in mind, if the run is short enough, I would actually just use a Thunderbolt 3 docking station. You can run monitors, keyboards/mice, speakers, headphones, etc through it. 

My TB3 dock supports triple monitor no problem even. 

The main problem is getting a long enough TB3 cable. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If your motherboard supports thunderbolt (not all of them do) you can buy one of those expensive fibre cables and a thunderbolt dock. Linus did a video on one years ago. I'll try and dig it up.

Yeah its up above. The thing is I want to be able to terminate it so I don't have to push an expensive cord with a usb c jack and potentially damage it.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It really depends on how you’re using that VM. 

Simply doing a basic build on the miniPC, then using either RDP or the remote console software for your VM platform would likely provide sufficiently minimal performance impacts. 

That's my aim atm I just want to make sure it's the right one.

1 minute ago, Acronis95 said:

Yeah its up above. The thing is I want to be able to terminate it so I don't have to push an expensive cord with a usb c jack and potentially damage it.

Ah, never-mind then.

chances are you won't be terminating your own optical fibre cable. Quite a bit goes into that. If you're stuck with Cat6a for that your best option is PC -> 10gig switch -> Slim Client then use something like PARSEC to remote in.