Arctic Liquid Freezer II

Hi everyone

I have just completed a new build after a 15 year hiatus from Windows, where I was exclusively using Mac.

I would appreciate some advice regarding setting up the fan curve on the Arctic freezer AIO? It is connected to the AIO header on the motherboard, but I am not sure what settings to choose in BIOS, and where to start?

Build spec:

Ryzen 3950X

Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 16GBx2

MSI RTX 2070 Super

I contacted Arctic for advice, and they advised to connect the AIO to the CPU fan header, rather than the AIO header, suggesting that on some motherboards the voltage might be high on the AIO header and damage the AIO?

Many thanks

4 minutes ago, oymd said:

Hi everyone

I have just completed a new build after a 15 year hiatus from Windows, where I was exclusively using Mac.

I would appreciate some advice regarding setting up the fan curve on the Arctic freezer AIO? It is connected to the AIO header on the motherboard, but I am not sure what settings to choose in BIOS, and where to start?

Build spec:

Ryzen 3950X

Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz 16GBx2

MSI RTX 2070 Super

I contacted Arctic for advice, and they advised to connect the AIO to the CPU fan header, rather than the AIO header, suggesting that on some motherboards the voltage might be high on the AIO header and damage the AIO?

Many thanks

A lot of AIO headers run full tilt instead of changing with temps. So you do mean the fans or the pump of the AIO? 

4 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

A lot of AIO headers run full tilt instead of changing with temps. So you do mean the fans or the pump of the AIO? 

With the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, there is only ONE connection available. The unit comes preinstalled, and all you do is fix the radiator to the case, and the only cable connection is coming out of the pump. It's a different design to other AIOs, where the cables to the fans are hidden under the sheath of the tubing that is connected to the radiator.

3 minutes ago, oymd said:

With the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, there is only ONE connection available. The unit comes preinstalled, and all you do is fix the radiator to the case, and the only cable connection is coming out of the pump. It's a different design to other AIOs, where the cables to the fans are hidden under the sheath of the tubing that is connected to the radiator.

The fans are just plugged into extentions that go through the sheath of the tubing. They can be unplugged and then plugged into the CPU fan header. Idk though if you got any extentions for that usecase in the package. (Or a Y-Splitter to run both fans on 1 header). Otherwise the splitter or extentions can be bought on the cheap.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The freezer two only has one common connector, it is a fully sealed unit including the fans. This means the fans can't easily be replaced as they don't work from their own header.

OP, You plug it into the fan connector as advised from Arctic, this is due to the fact that some motherboards have weird behaviour for the AIO header, usually they just run at a higher PWM percentage than the fans, but sometimes it can be locked at 100% meaning your cooler would be louder and have a shorter service life. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The freezer two only has one common connector, it is a fully sealed unit including the fans. This means the fans can't easily be replaced as they don't work from their own header.

OP, You plug it into the fan connector as advised from Arctic, this is due to the fact that some motherboards have weird behaviour for the AIO header, usually they just run at a higher PWM percentage than the fans, but sometimes it can be locked at 100% meaning your cooler would be louder and have a shorter service life. 

Thanks for your reply

I have just attached the AIO's header to the CPU_FAN header.

Just to check any differences, I ran AIDA64 stress test with the AIO connected to the AIO_PUMP header, and then repeated with the AIO connected to the CPU_FAN header.

In the BIOS & Hardwareinfo, I could see that the fans of the AIO were running at 1602rpm constant

When connected to the CPU_FAN header, and choosing PWM, I could see they were now running at around 1100rpm.

Temps have increased by about 5 degrees Celsius.

CPU idle was about 46 Celsius, now about 52.

After 5 minutes AIDA64 stress test, CPU maxed at about 72 Celsius, and with PWM on CPU_FAN maxed at about 80.

Should I worry about now having a slightly warmer CPU, or is that OK?

Thanks

31 minutes ago, oymd said:

Thanks for your reply

Just to check any differences, I ran AIDA64 stress test with the AIO connected to the AIO_PUMP header, and then repeated with the AIO connected to the CPU_FAN header.

In the BIOS & Hardwareinfo, I could see that the fans of the AIO were running at 1602rpm constant

When connected to the CPU_FAN header, and choosing PWM, I could see they were now running at around 1100rpm.

After 5 minutes AIDA64 stress test, CPU maxed at about 72 Celsius, and with PWM on CPU_FAN maxed at about 80.

Thanks

Its not about the header, its about what speed you run your fans. Increase fan speed if you want lower temps, lower fan speed if you want less noise with higher temps.

6 hours ago, oymd said:

Thanks for your reply

Thanks

On a good board like a Maximus 12, you can run the AIO off AIO_Pump without a problem.  Just because a header is rated for 3A doesn't mean it will try to run the pump at 3 amps! :)  I tested it on AIO Pump and it was no different than on CPU fan @ 100% manual speed PWM.  I personally have them split however (attached to a Noctua fan extension) so I run the radiator fans (360 version of the LF II AIO) off CPU_OPT and the pump/VRM on CPU_Fan.  So if the pump fails, I'll know about it.

HOWEVER some lower quality motherboards may, as mentioned above, deal with AIO_Pump in a strange way, which is why Arctic is trying to cover possible failures here.  But no issues running off AIO_Pump or "W_pump as its called on Maximus 12 boards" if you wanted.

You need to go to the Bios Q/fan or whatever fan options you have and then set the CPU fan PWM setting to "full speed."

This will set your AIO back to 1600 RPM.  It's easy.

Also note that you can disconnect the radiator fan power cable from the pump header and then hook up your own fan 4 pin extension cable and run the radiator fans off of another header, if you want to control them separately from the pump.  But this isn't necessary at all since even at max speed, the Arctic fans are quiet, so there is no reason NOT to run them at max speed.

Just for your information, of course you can also replace the Arctic fans with your own fans, but then you would need a way to control them independently from the pump, which is easy to do.  If you want to use your own custom fans, you can daisy chain your own fans to the existing Arctic dongle connector on the radiator, disconnect the main dongle from the pump cable, and then power them to a separate motherboard connector (do not try to run them all off the single plug if using your own fans!!!), but if you're using the 3-fan 360 AIO, be careful about the max amp rating of each of your fans!  For example, you can run three Noctua 2000 RPM fans connected to one fan header, if you delink the pump and aio fans and use your own extension cable, but something like three Noctua industrial 3000 RPM fans must be connected to AIO_Pump (3 amp) header since all three fans exceed 1 amp at max speed.

BTW: Protip: in general you should run the pump at 100% speed.  Not at a lower speed that changes on cpu temperature.  Pumps last longer if run at a constant RPM.  Plus it's quiet, anyway.

6 hours ago, oymd said:

No, because now you can adjust the fan curve of the CPU_FAN header to whatever you want, including the same (full?) speeds as the on other header, which would lead to the same temps (and noise) as before.

8 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

This means the fans can't easily be replaced as they don't work from their own header.

But they seem to connect to those extensions on the outside, so you could still easily replace them.

11 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But they seem to connect to those extensions on the outside, so you could still easily replace them.

Honestly I've looked at a number of photos now and don't see what you mean, care to point them out to my blind self? 

image.png.cf99f1cec6602b1c4823f998c76b918c.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Honestly I've looked at a number of photos now and don't see what you mean, care to point them out to my blind self? 

image.png.cf99f1cec6602b1c4823f998c76b918c.png

4 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/

As you keep scrolling, the background image will switch to a close-up of the fan connector (right after the "VRM fan" marketing bit).

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/

As you keep scrolling, the background image will switch to a close-up of the fan connector (right after the "VRM fan" marketing bit).

Ahh so thats where it's hidden, good to know! 

thanks for that!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240