Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VerSusS

modem/router

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

hi , i just upgraded my internet to 1gb/s and i did a speedtest on it wired to the modem/.router combo they provided and i dont get some things , im connected with a ethernet cable cat 6 and my motherboard is b360 gaming plus with 1 x Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN controller and im tryning to understand why i dont get the full speed i am paying for ? like everytime i do a speedtest to a server closer to me ( New York ) i get the full speed but if i speedtest in Chicago or on the west coast like San Francisco i get a maximum of 640-650 mbs , so is the distance a major factor in my speed download/upload ? and if so is a cat 8 ethernet cable make things better ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's two factors here. How many network hops have to be made. This is part-in-partial of "distance". And you can only go as fast as the slowest link in the chain. This means at some point between you and the Chicago or San Francisco server the most available bandwidth is ~645Mbit.

 

If you're so inclined you can try other clients on your network. If you can get the full speed to your closest server but the same result to ones further away this is completely normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VerSusS said:

and if so is a cat 8 ethernet cable make things better ?

no your link is already gigabit, so a better cable won't matter.

 

a

6 minutes ago, VerSusS said:

im tryning to understand why i dont get the full speed i am paying for ?

If you get the speed you pay for in one test, your internet is working fine, the speed is not a garantee from all servers, its a peak to the isps network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, VerSusS said:

hi , i just upgraded my internet to 1gb/s and i did a speedtest on it wired to the modem/.router combo they provided and i dont get some things , im connected with a ethernet cable cat 6 and my motherboard is b360 gaming plus with 1 x Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN controller and im tryning to understand why i dont get the full speed i am paying for ? like everytime i do a speedtest to a server closer to me ( New York ) i get the full speed but if i speedtest in Chicago or on the west coast like San Francisco i get a maximum of 640-650 mbs , so is the distance a major factor in my speed download/upload ? and if so is a cat 8 ethernet cable make things better ?

Put simply your getting the speed you pay for but the other end is not paying for such fast speeds. Your only as fast as the weakest link, in this case that link is after your ISP, nothing you can do about that.
(over simplifed IK)

If you want to know if the upgrade is worthwhile, give it a IRL test. Download a game or a film or transfer files to from a mate or work, see if the speed makes an impact in your habits, makes those things abit quicker.  That's what your really paying for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×