Frame skipping Gtx 1080 + i9 8950hk + 32GB Ram 2666mhz

Manchurian

My games skips frames. And i got high gpu usage on bfv.  Even when my fps is high it will drop occasionally to 59 fps. I got a Gsync monitor too 1440p.

2 minutes ago, Manchurian said:

My games skips frames. And i got high gpu usage on bfv. 

What are your temperatures during gaming for the cpu and gpu?

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What are your temperatures during gaming for the cpu and gpu?

This is my cpu when idle.

D37AA08C-3E7D-4A9E-BA5F-5AD164A40FE4.jpeg

Just now, Manchurian said:

This is my cpu when idle.

D37AA08C-3E7D-4A9E-BA5F-5AD164A40FE4.jpeg

I need the temps during gaming during idle it doesn't matter. What I do see is that it has been maxing out at 100c so that can easily be the issue causing stutters and skips.

Your CPU is thermal throttling - that's why it happens.

Try replacing the thermal paste.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

This is why you don't buy gaming laptops.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I need the temps during gaming during idle it doesn't matter. What I do see is that it has been maxing out at 100c so that can easily be the issue causing stutters and skips.

Highest temp i saw was 99 degree but it varies it drops back to 89 then goes back up.

FA36924B-6A1C-4A91-BB3C-669379FCBC6B.jpeg

Now its sitting at 92/93/94 when playing actively.

I put thermal paste a few days ago. From Grizzly aeronaut

3 minutes ago, Manchurian said:

I put thermal paste a few days ago. From Grizzly aeronaut

Then try cleaning the fans,vents and the heatsink (between the thins dust may build up)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Then try cleaning the fans,vents and the heatsink (between the thins dust may build up)

Also done that, I dropped to DX11 and i dont stutter anymore?? Playing on ultra..with 80+ fps

i got this from Alienware;

As the coffeelake processor supports higher clock rate than kabylake or older processors, users may easily notice that the Alienware 13R3, 15R3, 15R4, 17R4, 17R5 generates more heat compared to previous generation platforms. Therefore Dell engineering optimized the system to tolerate higher temperature from design perspective, and the new specification for Alienware 15 R4 / 17 R5 is:

CPU peak temperature will be no greater than 100 degree C

Below is the table for the thermal specification in component basis. For Alienware 13R3, 15R3, 17R4, this is applicable with BIOS version S1.0.9_K1.0.1 ,S1.0.9_K1.0.1 or higher.

Component Thermal peak specification
(degree C)
Processor 100
GPU 94
SSD 81/78 *
HDD 69/60 *
Memory 95

Download and install any temperature monitoring tool such as HWiNFO64 or RealTemp and reply with screenshots of the results, if the temperatures exceed the previous figures.

8 minutes ago, Manchurian said:

Also done that, I dropped to DX11 and i dont stutter anymore?? Playing on ultra..with 80+ fps

i got this from Alienware;

As the coffeelake processor supports higher clock rate than kabylake or older processors, users may easily notice that the Alienware 13R3, 15R3, 15R4, 17R4, 17R5 generates more heat compared to previous generation platforms. Therefore Dell engineering optimized the system to tolerate higher temperature from design perspective, and the new specification for Alienware 15 R4 / 17 R5 is:

CPU peak temperature will be no greater than 100 degree C

Below is the table for the thermal specification in component basis. For Alienware 13R3, 15R3, 17R4, this is applicable with BIOS version S1.0.9_K1.0.1 ,S1.0.9_K1.0.1 or higher.

Component Thermal peak specification
(degree C)
Processor 100
GPU 94
SSD 81/78 *
HDD 69/60 *
Memory 95

Download and install any temperature monitoring tool such as HWiNFO64 or RealTemp and reply with screenshots of the results, if the temperatures exceed the previous figures.

So dell used the cheap and dangerous way of just raising the throttling limit - it's a great way to fry a CPU.

Regardless of that your third core got to 99C,which is close enough to trigger thermal throttling.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

So dell used the cheap and dangerous way of just raising the throttling limit - it's a great way to fry a CPU.

Regardless of that your third core got to 99C,which is close enough to trigger thermal throttling.

On high im sitting on 90-110 fps now without stutter. My laptop doesn’t feel that hot.

On high im sitting on 90-110 fps now without stutter. My laptop doesn’t feel that hot.

So it was an improper implementation of DX12 all along...

Well,I am glad that you solved this problem but the temperatures of your CPU are worrisome.

Just now, Vishera said:

So it was an improper implementation of DX12 all along...

Well,I am glad that you solved this problem but the temperatures of your CPU are worrisome.

Yes it’s a lil bit warm were i am too. I turned off the overclocking feature in the command center.

I had power management processor minimum and maximum both on 100% maybe that caused the thermal throttling?

1 minute ago, Manchurian said:

I had power management processor minimum and maximum both on 100% maybe that caused the thermal throttling?

Yes,it can cause that,change the minimum to 5% and restart,the maximum should be at 100%.

You CPU was needlessly at full speed 24/7.

3 minutes ago, Manchurian said:

Oh yes that forces the cpu into it's highest gear always and only when a bios override hits it will throttle down or just shut off. Pretty much explaining the 10c drop before going up in temps again every time. Just let windows do it's thing and set min as low as it can.

What are the best Nvidia settings i can use? And should i use the overclocking feature of the Alienware command center?

What are the best Nvidia settings i can use? And should i use the overclocking feature of the Alienware command center?

I recommend to leave those be,They are fine as they are now.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

I recommend to leave those be,They are fine as they are now.

This is my temp now.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Manchurian said:

This is my temp now.

Spoiler

image.jpg

Nice temps,i am glad that it is under control now ;)