No Post

kjgruber

About a week ago, I plugged my mouse into a usb port, while the system was running. It shut off immediately. It proceeded to not post. I went through all the steps, however, it still wouldn't post. Everything would run however. I purchased a new motherboard. The system still won't run. Of note, I received my new psu, the same day I received my new mobo. I'm convinced it is the graphics card. My mobo is stuck on the white VGA code, which is one prior to boot. I have a new GPU on the way. I'm more interested in what could have happened. PSU frying my GPU? My mobo shorted; however, I don't think it could have fried my GPU? My old GPU is on the way to get repaired, so I'm sure I will have answers soon. I'm curious to see if anybody knows what could have happened though? Also, I was able to rule out my CPU because my old intel system wouldn't post with my GPU either. 

*memory is 3600. It doesn't matter but I thought I should state it. 

Did you try pulling out the mouse and see if it would work?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Did you try pulling out the mouse and see if it would work?

Yes. I forgot to note, that my keyboard receives no power. This scares me because it likely means that my CPU is not working. So, my mobo indicates it is a GPU failure. My GPU fans are also not spinning up. However, that could be CPU or GPU related. 

8 minutes ago, kjgruber said:

Yes. I forgot to note, that my keyboard receives no power. This scares me because it likely means that my CPU is not working. So, my mobo indicates it is a GPU failure. My GPU fans are also not spinning up. However, that could be CPU or GPU related. 

you mentioned that the gpu wont post in another pc, and that you have another card on the way. sounds like you will get a definitive answer soon.

Just now, bmx6454 said:

you mentioned that the gpu wont post in another pc, and that you have another card on the way. sounds like you will get a definitive answer soon.

Yea. I was interested to see if anybody knew what caused the GPU issue. I didn't think shorting a mobo could fry a GPU. I guess that is more of a question for Red Dragon's tech support though. The older system was funky too. I had to jury rig my cooler onto it because I didn't have a stock intel cooler, so i wasn't confident that system was fully functional. 

1 minute ago, kjgruber said:

Yea. I was interested to see if anybody knew what caused the GPU issue. I didn't think shorting a mobo could fry a GPU. I guess that is more of a question for Red Dragon's tech support though. The older system was funky too. I had to jury rig my cooler onto it because I didn't have a stock intel cooler, so i wasn't confident that system was fully functional. 

do you have access to a known working pc to test in? as far as what killed it, i have no clue, there should be multiple protections in place to stop that from happening. maybe just a crazy coincidence in timing, and the gpu gave out on its own?? lol

9 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

do you have access to a known working pc to test in? as far as what killed it, i have no clue, there should be multiple protections in place to stop that from happening. maybe just a crazy coincidence in timing, and the gpu gave out on its own?? lol

I have an old intel system minus the GPU. I just sold my rx480. So none of the parts are compatible other than the GPU which has already been tested. This is my second 5700xt. My first one had similar issues,so maybe it is a red dragon problem...which sucks because I liked their card. 

A short can kill multiple things.  Could be the short fried the thing so hard it killed the GPU AND other stuff as well.  No telling.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

a killed part can continue killing other parts it is mounted in, i would contact insurance for a claim.