Ryzen 3950X High Temps

So I recently bought a custom PC from cyberpower. I have a 3950x and 1660 super. I use this computer mainly for rendering. I do renders at high qualities that take about 20 minutes thanks to the crazy 16 core power... but my temperatures sit at 80 - 86C. Any ways to lower my temps on this? I have a standard liquid cooler and 3 case fans and asrock x570 gaming mobo. Thanks and sorry I'm still a rookie when it comes to computers. My last desktop was a Dell i7 so I'm not used to this.

Just now, lancesloth said:

So I recently bought a custom PC from cyberpower. I have a 3950x and 1660 super. I use this computer mainly

What case?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hello and welcome.  

You can use an undervolt on CPU Core voltage in BIOS.  I'd imagine about -.05V is a much as you can go without seeing clock stretching.  And what clock stretching is is where the CPU will reduce speed when running with insufficient voltage.  It isn't apparent when looking at the multiplier, but can be seen when using HWiNFO and looking at Effective Clock and comparing that to the Core Ratio.   

This won't reduce temps by a lot though.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, lancesloth said:

Corsair Carbide 678c

Is the AIO mounted at the top or front of the case?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

The radiator is on the back pushing air out

20200511_062406.jpg

15 minutes ago, lancesloth said:

Corsair Carbide 678c

Wait is the top panel on the case covering the radiator?

You should flip the exhaust fan around for intake since the front of that case is useless for intake

would have suggested basically any case with a mesh front.

*oh lol they sold you a 16 core CPU with only a 120mm AIO, never buy pre-built...

You can just like sell the AIO and replace it with some big tower cooler like a dark rock pro 4 or a noctua something if they fit.

thought you had a 240mm radiator at the top

in the meantime is the top being used for intake or exhaust? you just want the fan shroud pointing inward for intake from the top.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Ehh... Between a 120mm AIO that draws air straight from the gpu, and 16 cores on full load, 80-86C sounds about right. You 'd probably get a noticeable drop in temperature if the cooler was set as intake, but in the end cooler size might be the biggest issue here. 120mm AIOs don't have much of a point beyond small factor builds where they're the only option that fits; you could probably get better cooling with a mid-size air tower

Hmmm, well that setup isn't ideal.  

I'm not sure that AIO is large enough, but if that's what we have to work with then I'd try turning the fan on the radiator around so it's pulling air from outside the case.  

The fan actually may already be an intake now that I think of it. The air that I feel coming out could be from the one fan on the opposite side pushing air out the case. In the end I'm too scared to mess with it right now and might have to find a way to use less core power when rendering. Thanks for the help everyone.

15 minutes ago, lancesloth said:

The fan actually may already be an intake now that I think of it. The air that I feel coming out could be from the one fan on the opposite side pushing air out the case. In the end I'm too scared to mess with it right now and might have to find a way to use less core power when rendering. Thanks for the help everyone.

The fan pushes air towards the side with the shroud.

the AIO is exhausting, but I can't tell if the fans on top are intake or exhaust, they should be intake.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, lancesloth said:

I can see that the fan is set as exhaust and I wouldn't worry about unscrewing it and turning it around.  

Hi there. I do a lot of rendering tough. 3DS max Vray and Corona.
I got this CPU to and never reach above 70º Celcius with Noctua NH12 fans. 
But i found that in idle this CPU never low temps under 63º
ITs running all day long like this.
I dont know this is a good or bad but i think in idle this temps should be lower right?
Inside Home-Room in Portugal is 17/19º
image.thumb.png.9e1034ee496defdc05ccd8b18209194a.png

32 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

I dont know this is a good or bad but i think in idle this temps should be lower right?

Yah my 3950x also was getting high idle temps on my Noctua d-15. I had to drop the core voltage by -.1 offset and that brought it down to 45-50c. I don't know why this cpu gets high idle temps but for me it does and I've just learned to live with what I got. I get about 77c on full load tho.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:04 PM, Tonyboss said:

image.thumb.png.9e1034ee496defdc05ccd8b18209194a.png

My idle temps are low to mid 30 degrees Celcius. Opening more programs or using a recording software bring it up to high 40 or mid 50. I have a single fan AIO and 3 case fans. I do believe your idle temps are higher than they should be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, lancesloth said:

My idle temps are low to mid 30 degrees Celcius. Opening more programs or using a recording software bring it up to high 40 or mid 50. I have a single fan AIO and 3 case fans. I do believe your idle temps are higher than they should be.

Suggestions?
This is my setup
imagem.png.5c5e47abda4ca43a0907319bb29429cb.png

49 minutes ago, Tonyboss said:

Suggestions?
This is my setup
imagem.png.5c5e47abda4ca43a0907319bb29429cb.png

What fans are intake/exhaust?