Computer Blackscreens/Restarts During Intensive Use After Upgrading to New GPU

megamastergamer

Hey guys, I have recently upgraded from an older GTX 970 (Zotac AMP!) to a Radeon 5700 XT (XFX THICC III ULTRA) and have had some problems. Now after I upgraded my graphics card, I ran 3DMark Firestrike to see the difference (~+10k) and then proceeded to test using Time Spy. As soon as the test loaded my computer black screened, but then rebooted perfectly normally. This keeps repeating anytime I use anything that's remotely intensive (gaming/benchmarking software) All of my drivers are up to date (used DDU to uninstalled previous drivers), including BIOS. 

Here are some useful links that might help with diagnosis:

Build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7Zz3BZ) Windows 10 64 Bit

Firestrike Scores (https://imgur.com/a/a0cXhQB)

MSI Afterburner Results (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bF7J1NDIptsocmU6Dt50-J3k_gUkxU1t/view)

Well I remember GamerNexus saying don't buy that card due to everything being bad with it. Might be a good idea to return that one and get a different card. It's also probably overheating due to the cooling design. Here is the article from GamerNexus, if you would like to read up on it: XFX RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra Review: Hard Pass

25 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Well I remember GamerNexus saying don't buy that card due to everything being bad with it. Might be a good idea to return that one and get a different card. It's also probably overheating due to the cooling design. Here is the article from GamerNexus, if you would like to read up on it: XFX RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra Review: Hard Pass

I have the updated version, the XFX THICC 3 not 2, which according to pretty much every review I read, is a great graphics card that didn't have the problems of the first.

Its possible that it draws too much power and your PSU can't supply enough. 

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

3 minutes ago, megamastergamer said:

I have the updated version, the XFX THICC 3 not 2, which according to pretty much every review I read, is a great graphics card that didn't have the problems of the first.

Ah okay, I might have missed the 3 there. 

16 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Its possible that it draws too much power and your PSU can't supply enough. 

I just tried undervolting in MSI Afterburner (just set the power to -25 and had it happen again. My PSU is rated for 600W and this system isn't supposed to do more than 400W. I do think it's likely a PSU issue though. Hopefully not, because I won't be able to get a new one in for at least a week :(

1 minute ago, megamastergamer said:

I just tried undervolting in MSI Afterburner (just set the power to -25 and had it happen again. My PSU is rated for 600W and this system isn't supposed to do more than 400W.

Make sure the temperatures are fine. You could try taking off the side panels to make sure its not cause of heat. What PSU are you using?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Make sure the temperatures are fine. You could try taking off the side panels to make sure its not cause of heat. What PSU are you using?

I am using a Corsair CX600 (Not ideal Ik, but I wasn't as knowledgeable back in 2014.) Also I actually normally leave my side panel off, plus I linked the MSI Afterburner results from before the crashes which show no abnormal activity or temps. I am now actually getting intermittent freezing where I black screen corresponding with GPU jumps to 100% usage. Followed by lag and tons of input lag for a short period of time. 

1 minute ago, megamastergamer said:

I am using a Corsair CX600 (Not ideal Ik, but I wasn't as knowledgeable back in 2014.) Also I actually normally leave my side panel off, plus I linked the MSI Afterburner results from before the crashes which show no abnormal activity or temps. I am now actually getting intermittent freezing where I black screen corresponding with GPU jumps to 100% usage. Followed by lag and tons of input lag for a short period of time. 

Try a fresh install of windows.

My Rig

Peripherals

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Try a fresh install of windows.

I had done a fresh install of windows at the beginning of the month, but I guess I can try again since I changed graphics cards. 

Just now, megamastergamer said:

I had done a fresh install of windows at the beginning of the month, but I guess I can try again since I changed graphics cards. 

If that doesnt work I would reccomend returning the card.

My Rig

Peripherals

Just now, Vandorlot said:

If that doesnt work I would reccomend returning the card.

I don't think it's the problem with the card. I had a similar problem with my old one. Here is a link to a post where I go in more detail.