Would you rather have a replaceable battery or slim design?

Survey: Would you rather be able to replace the battery or have a slim design in a mobile device?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is user-replaceable battery or slim design more important to you in a mobile device? (Optionally, explain your choice in a reply.)

• User-replaceable battery
    • Slim design

• (This is my first post. If I make any mistake, please let me know. Thanks.)

————————————_

I watched this TechQuickie video:

At 03m:45s, Linus says:

Generally, consumers care more about their devices being thin […]

I am making this poll to find out whether this is true.

I already made a poll on this Apple criticism forum, where 100% of the votes voted for replaceable batteries.

And I would not even bother much if there was still the option to get a decent phone (i.e. 2160p@60fps video recording, >20W fast charging) in combination to replaceable batteries. Sadly, manufacturers have succumbed to Apple's design trend. (And the Galaxy Xcover Pro only has pathetic 1080p@30fps video recording, which even the S2 from 2011 has. At least, it has decent 15 Watts of fast charging.)

My opinion

I wrote this essay about why I consider non-user-replaceable batteries as a terrible design trend.

In a nutshell:

Like many people, I personally care much more about being able to simply replace the shortest-lifespan part of a mobile phone than slim design.

Replaceable batteries also allow guilt-free fast charging and full charging cycles, both of which wear down the battery quickly.

I cherish fast charging, and I would rather blast that power into the anytime-replaceable battery than feeling guilt knowing that this trapped battery can not simply be replaced once it expires.

Non-replaceable batteries are, by definition, a form of planned obsolescence. It compromises the freedom of the phone user. Although a phone repair service can still repair it, the repair costs multiple times as much as the replacement battery itself, and will likely irreversibly damage the water resistance seal.

I would much rather be able to replace the phone battery within minutes (open/unscrew back cover; old battery out; new battery in; done!) than having to go to a phone repair shop, let someone do a battery surgery on my phone and hope that he does not accidentially break any delicate parts. Here is an essay from some news site that also mentions this point.

Side note: An expired phone battery does not just have a lower capacity, but a lower power output and charging speed and could also be a safety hazard. The effects include accidental shutdowns. Practically, one failing part makes the entire device useless. Here is an essay by me on why it is particularly bad on iPhones.

Batteries are supposed to be replaced like car wheels.

Compromises

That video mentions that replaceable batteries lead to compromises, which I have debunked here.

In a nutshell: All these compromises can be compensated with measures that require a bit of space inside the device, but this is a compromise that 100% of the votes on this poll would happily take.

“But I get a new device each year anyway!”

If you can afford it, sure. But users should be upgrading their phones because they appreciate the feaures and improvements, not because the battery of their current phone is failing.

But there is still some work that needs to be done, like setting up the new device, installing the software, etc. , which might bother some uses, but might be trivial to others.

Also, many users might be perfectly happy with their current phone or want to use it as a secondary device after upgrading.

Also, manufacturers sometimes remove features from newer devices that some users found useful.

An entire device should not be rendered useless because one part has reached the end of its lifespan.

This poll I made proves how much people value battery lifespan. They would rather have a battery with less capacity and speed but much more lifespan than vice versa.

—————————————————————————

I would love to hear your opinion on it. Do you agree? Do you disagree? Let me know.

Personally, I'd rather have a replaceable battery. I keep my phone for many years, and it'd be nice to just be able to replace the battery, or have the phone be able to be easily taken apart and just replace the battery(also assuming the required battery is easy to obtain). To a large extent, I'd rather have performance and features, than a slim design. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Replaceable battery, easily  

I lost my V20 and was forced to upgrade to my V40 (don't regret it , V40s great!)

main thing I miss is ALWAYS having a 100% charged battery or 2, considering the V40s battery is only 3300mah (although weirdly good enough battery life)

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

I dont even care about my phone being thin or not, my hands are big enough for a 1 inch thick phone anyways and people add casing to their phones which increases their thickness.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I don't care about thickness of phones too much, considering I used to rock phones easily 2cm thick not so long ago.

But to be honest, I didn't care either way, since older smartphones (anything with a SD 835 or older pretty much) were trash and they would slow down after a few months of use, so I would switch every year. That has changed. For the first time in well, ever, I'm actually going to keep my smartphone after a year. My Nokia 8.1 still feels as snappy as ever, Android updates are guaranteed for another year (security patches for another 2), and I don't see any devices good enough for me to actually part with any money. This wasn't going to be the case, since there were rumours that the succesor to the 8.1 was going to be a 5G phone with a flip-up selfie camera (perfect for me because I don't take selfies). The nokia 8.3 was released a bit ago (no idea what happened to the 8.2), but it has a holepunch screen *shudder* so I won't be buying one of those.

Now, my phone with it's 3500mah battery used to last 2 days easily without charging when I first got it, which was fu*king amazing, but I noticed it barely lasts over a day now (I've had the phone since Jan 2019). So I hooked up my portapow V3, and let the phone charge until full from about 5%. I was pretty surprised to see that the phone had only taken 2500mah, and I had used the phone for about 30 minutes while it charged. Which means that the battery has lost around a third of it's capacity (hard to say the exact value ofc, couldn't be bothered to test properly). I actually bought a spare battery a couple weeks ago, a Cameron Sino one, and I was going to get my local phone repair guy to replace it for me, but thanks to COVID that's been put on hold.

Now that phones are getting good enough that you'd actually want to keep them for more than a few months, I wish they had swappable batteries again.

RANT TIME- Also, it pisses me off when people and manufacturers BS about phones with replacable batteries not being able to be made resistant to water ingress. One of my old phones, a Sharp F04E, which is a 2012 Japan-market android phone with a Tegra 3; has a replaceable battery, a headphone jack, and water resistance (it had literally every feature box ticked, it even had a TV reciever with a retractable antenna). I've used mine in the bath, and I've dropped it in more than a couple dozen times, so it is genuinely water resistant. What can Sharp in the early 2010s do, that smartphone manufacturers now can't?

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

58 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

RANT TIME- Also, it pisses me off when people and manufacturers BS about phones with replacable batteries not being able to be made resistant to water ingress. One of my old phones, a Sharp F04E, which is a 2012 Japan-market android phone with a Tegra 3; has a replaceable battery, a headphone jack, and water resistance (it had literally every feature box ticked, it even had a TV reciever with a retractable antenna). I've used mine in the bath, and I've dropped it in more than a couple dozen times, so it is genuinely water resistant. What can Sharp in the early 2010s do, that smartphone manufacturers now can't?

I have debunked that myth here: https://poal.co/s/LostFeatures/156605

Aside from being able to carry a spare battery around I don’t see the point in user replaceable battery’s. Plus even then you can just carry a battery bank instead which holds 2/3 full charges. 

You lose water resistance which is useful and don’t gain a hell of a lot. Batteries degrade at less than 10% a year so you have a good 3 years at least before it becomes an issue likely more and if you’re on android your phone is EOL on the software side by then anyway. 

On top of that Li-Ion batteries aren’t exactly safe and constant user replacements along with the knock off battery market would cause fires. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Aside from being able to carry a spare battery around I don’t see the point in user replaceable battery’s. Plus even then you can just carry a battery bank instead which holds 2/3 full charges. 

You lose water resistance which is useful and don’t gain a hell of a lot. Batteries degrade at less than 10% a year so you have a good 3 years at least before it becomes an issue likely more and if you’re on android your phone is EOL on the software side by then anyway. 

On top of that Li-Ion batteries aren’t exactly safe and constant user replacements along with the knock off battery market would cause fires. 

Thank you for sharing your point of view.

Some arguments you mentioned (e.g. water resistance) have already been countered in the original post.

Batteries obviously should only be bought from trusted sellers (original or reputable third-party brands such as RAV Power) for safety.

Plus even then you can just carry a battery bank instead which holds 2/3 full charges. 

But at one point, the aging battery will only last a few minutes. (Not even kidding.)

Then, the phone would constantly rely on an external power source like elderly people rely on a rollator/similar. Not so fun.

19 minutes ago, Handroid7 said:

But at one point, the aging battery will only last a few minutes. (Not even kidding.)

Then, the phone would constantly rely on an external power source like elderly people rely on a rollator/similar. Not so fun.

You’re being disingenuous. The S5 is only IP67 resistant and the Xperia V is only IP57. IP68 is the current standard. The phones mentioned are also Made of blocky plastic and don’t have near the screen to body ratio of current phones or the battery capacity.

Sure trusted sellers who’ll cost about the same as a full battery replacement. A battery replacement costs what £80 from Apple and I’d imagine that to be the high end. Honestly it’s not that much even you’ll easily get 5 years out of it. 

Again if you’re battery is only lasting a few minutes you’re phone will likely be 10 years old and won’t be useful anyway. Have you tried using a 3GS now? I have one and funnily enough the battery is fine but due to specs and support being cut well over 5 years ago at this point it’s just not much use. It’s about the same battery wise now as it was when I got it even though it’s been sat doing nothing since 2013. My iPhone 5 didn’t have a battery issue and nor did my SE. And I hammer my phones battery. 

If you heavily use your phone or are out for a few days with no access to electricity (I’ve had this issue with work) a battery bank is fine, it doesn’t magically degrade your battery. 

53 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You’re being disingenuous. The S5 is only IP67 resistant and the Xperia V is only IP57. IP68 is the current standard. The phones mentioned are also Made of blocky plastic and don’t have near the screen to body ratio of current phones or the battery capacity.

Sure trusted sellers who’ll cost about the same as a full battery replacement. A battery replacement costs what £80 from Apple and I’d imagine that to be the high end. Honestly it’s not that much even you’ll easily get 5 years out of it. 

Again if you’re battery is only lasting a few minutes you’re phone will likely be 10 years old and won’t be useful anyway. Have you tried using a 3GS now? I have one and funnily enough the battery is fine but due to specs and support being cut well over 5 years ago at this point it’s just not much use. It’s about the same battery wise now as it was when I got it even though it’s been sat doing nothing since 2013. My iPhone 5 didn’t have a battery issue and nor did my SE. And I hammer my phones battery. 

If you heavily use your phone or are out for a few days with no access to electricity (I’ve had this issue with work) a battery bank is fine, it doesn’t magically degrade your battery. 

We indeed have camera and camcorder batteries that still work decently after 7 to 12 years. But a smartphone battery needs to power (and withstand the heat caused by) 4G (possibly soon 5G) connections, 4K video recording and very fast charging, all of which wear down the battery.

Under these circumstances, the point of battery failure (phone only lasts a few minutes per charge) might be reached within three years or less.

I'd happily take the blocky plastic and the somewhat lower screen to body ratio for being able to replace the shortest-lasting part of my device at any time. Also, the S4 had a higher screen-to-body ratio than the S6.

Of course, some people (e.g. you) prefer slim design and materials that are considered more premium, which is ok.

My problem is that pretty much every decent phone released these days does not allow the user to replace the shortest-lifespan component. Users should at least have the option of practicality over slim design.

And like I said, IP68 can be achieved with replaceable battery with multi-layer rubber isolation. Manufacturers just didn't try it yet.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

This exists

4,000mAh removable battery

Headphone jack

IP68

go figure

Because of a crap SoC. can’t have a decent one because it has no heat dissipation at all. 

38 minutes ago, Handroid7 said:

We indeed have camera and camcorder batteries that still work decently after 7 to 12 years. But a smartphone battery needs to power (and withstand the heat caused by) 4G (possibly soon 5G) connections, 4K video recording and very fast charging, all of which wear down the battery.

Under these circumstances, the point of battery failure (phone only lasts a few minutes per charge) might be reached within three years or less.

I'd happily take the blocky plastic and the somewhat lower screen to body ratio for being able to replace the shortest-lasting part of my device at any time. Also, the S4 had a higher screen-to-body ratio than the S6.

Of course, some people (e.g. you) prefer slim design and materials that are considered more premium, which is ok.

My problem is that pretty much every decent phone released these days does not allow the user to replace the shortest-lifespan component. Users should at least have the option of practicality over slim design.

And like I said, IP68 can be achieved with replaceable battery with multi-layer rubber isolation. Manufacturers just didn't try it yet.

4K recording doesn’t hurt the battery or cause heat... charging and heat affects battery but not to the extent you’re claiming. 

On what phones? 

Well if you have an OLED screen that’ll burn in before your battery goes. If you’re on android the software will go before that. If your battery doesn’t last around the same as you’d expect the phone to be functional you’ve bought a dud. 

Not really those phone were generally a hell of a lot more fragile than ones now even though currently glass is a major component and Plastic phones are bad for the environment as they’re made of hard plastic that can’t be recycled. 

Ignoring the S6 edge are we?

Your battery will outlast your phone unless you’re on an iPhone. £80 isn’t outlandish for a battery replacement either if you’re a fan of sticking your phone in a microwave every Sunday. 

They don’t do it because it adds weight, size, takes up a hell of a lot of space, insulates the phone so it gets super toasty, ironically degrading the battery faster and making sure a high end SoC will never be achievable in the design. Generally why “rugged” phones aren’t that popular and are used by idiots who think they’re outdoorsy and tough for having a phone that’s worse than a main line one and not as durable as the mainline one with a case slapped in it.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Heat dissipation is no issue. It doesnt have a good SoC because if Samsung allowed it to have one, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Nothing to do with rubber and plastic  being excellent insulators and higher end chips being higher wattage parts then. I mean what’s physics compared to a removable battery. 

4K recording doesn’t hurt the battery or cause heat... charging and heat affects battery but not to the extent you’re claiming. 

On what phones? 

Well if you have an OLED screen that’ll burn in before your battery goes. If you’re on android the software will go before that. If your battery doesn’t last around the same as you’d expect the phone to be functional you’ve bought a dud. 

Not really those phone were generally a hell of a lot more fragile than ones now even though currently glass is a major component and Plastic phones are bad for the environment as they’re made of hard plastic that can’t be recycled. 

Ignoring the S6 edge are we?

Your battery will outlast your phone unless you’re on an iPhone. £80 isn’t outlandish for a battery replacement either if you’re a fan of sticking your phone in a microwave every Sunday. 

They don’t do it because it adds weight, size, takes up a hell of a lot of space, insulates the phone so it gets super toasty, ironically degrading the battery faster and making sure a high end SoC will never be achievable in the design. Generally why “rugged” phones aren’t that popular and are used by idiots who think they’re outdoorsy and tough for having a phone that’s worse than a main line one and not as durable as the mainline one with a case slapped in it.

4K video produces considerable heat. Double that, considering that most flagship phones have 2160p@60fps by now. And 6K and 8K isn't far away from becoming a common feature.

About AMOLED burn-in: We have a Galaxy S4 and a Note 3 at home, both of which have no AMOLED burn marks, thanks to the dark backgrounds Samsung used back then. 

Android forks like LineageOS, /c/ and MicroG still support very old devices.

Also, the old Android versions still work fine and don't have the shitty restrictions Google added in newer versions, see https://archive.today/20191015/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:List_of_features_removed_from_Android (if you're wondering why that masterpiece of a  page was deleted, it's because some Wikipedia administrator named Bbb23 decided he doesn't like it.)

Manufacturers could build a high-end outdoor phone if they wanted. Samsung already did so with their Active series and S5 Sport, but also the Active series had a nonreplaceable battery since S6.

The battery surgery costs are not the only problem, but battery surgery might break the water resistance seal and also takes time. More time than opening a back cover, taking the old battery out, putting the new one in, closing and being done.

Not to forget that during corona crisis, access to phone repair shops might be restricted.

And like I said, many people would happily have a thicker phone but have the freedom of easily replacing the battery. If you'd like a thinner phone, that's fine. But now non-replaceable batteries are the only remaining option.

2 hours ago, Handroid7 said:

4K video produces considerable heat. Double that, considering that most flagship phones have 2160p@60fps by now. And 6K and 8K isn't far away from becoming a common feature.

About AMOLED burn-in: We have a Galaxy S4 and a Note 3 at home, both of which have no AMOLED burn marks, thanks to the dark backgrounds Samsung used back then. 

Android forks like LineageOS, /c/ and MicroG still support very old devices.

Also, the old Android versions still work fine and don't have the shitty restrictions Google added in newer versions, see https://archive.today/20191015/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:List_of_features_removed_from_Android (if you're wondering why that masterpiece of a  page was deleted, it's because some Wikipedia administrator named Bbb23 decided he doesn't like it.)

Manufacturers could build a high-end outdoor phone if they wanted. Samsung already did so with their Active series and S5 Sport, but also the Active series had a nonreplaceable battery since S6.

The battery surgery costs are not the only problem, but battery surgery might break the water resistance seal and also takes time. More time than opening a back cover, taking the old battery out, putting the new one in, closing and being done.

Not to forget that during corona crisis, access to phone repair shops might be restricted.

And like I said, many people would happily have a thicker phone but have the freedom of easily replacing the battery. If you'd like a thinner phone, that's fine. But now non-replaceable batteries are the only remaining option.

If you’ve got a decent encoder it doesn’t. 

OK then make the entire screen white and turn it up to full brightness. Early OLED displays were horrendous for it. 

Not official spec plus you have to root it.

They work fine until they stop getting security patches and apps stop working.

You mean the ones that have better spec DON’T have removable battery’s? Oh I wonder why. 

Or you could take it to the shop, give the nice smiley people your phone, they say thank you and give you a ticket and you come back in x days and pay for the battery replacement.

You can literally post them in. 

You lose too many features. IP68 water resistance, a good SoC, wireless charging etc. I wouldn’t kind have a thicker phone for a BIGGER battery but for a removable one you’re giving up too much and getting pretty much nothing in return. 

12 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

If you’ve got a decent encoder it doesn’t. 

Which phone does not significantly heat up from 4K video recording? (especially during warmer months)

OK then make the entire screen white and turn it up to full brightness. Early OLED displays were horrendous for it. 

Indeed. AMOLED consumes more power than TFT-LCD with white backgrounds!

Not official spec plus you have to root it.

I don't mind. See https://poal.co/p/152184 for more information.

You mean the ones that have better spec DON’T have removable battery’s? Oh I wonder why. 

Because manufacturers don't even try to build new phones with replaceable battety. In 2014, the Note 4 had top specifications yet replacemeable battery.

Or you could take it to the shop, give the nice smiley people your phone, they say thank you and give you a ticket and you come back in x days and pay for the battery replacement.

You can literally post them in. 

That is even worse. Nobody wants to wait days for a battery replacement that could be done on a Galaxy Note 4 within 1 minute. And one needs to trust the delivery service that they don't accidentally lose one's phone.

You lose too many features. IP68 water resistance,

XCover Pro

wireless charging

Is possible with wireless chaging back covers. Supported by Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4. Those phones have dedicated copper pins behind the battery cover for it.

[you get] pretty much nothing in return.

Kindly read the original post again.

@Handroid7if manufacturers really wanted to make a phone with a removable battery, they would find very good ways to make that happen. I know that modularity adds thickness to the phone, but the s20 ultra is already to thick. They simply haven't done the research.

18 minutes ago, Handroid7 said:

Which phone does not significantly heat up from 4K video recording? (especially during warmer months)

Indeed. AMOLED consumes more power than TFT-LCD with white backgrounds!

I don't mind. See https://poal.co/p/152184 for more information.

Because manufacturers don't even try to build new phones with replaceable battety. In 2014, the Note 4 had top specifications yet replacemeable battery.

That is even worse. Nobody wants to wait days for a battery replacement that could be done on a Galaxy Note 4 within 1 minute. And one needs to trust the delivery service that they don't accidentally lose one's phone.

XCover Pro

Is possible with wireless chaging back covers. Supported by Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3, Note 4. Those phones have dedicated copper pins behind the battery cover for it.

Kindly read the original post again.

Well when you first posted the claim I recorded 4K 60 on my phone and to touch the phone wasn’t noticeably hotter than it normally is. 

I mean to show burn in, if you max it out in a white screen it shows up more. 

Doesn’t matter if you mind it’s not official spec. 

6 years ago. They don’t try because they’d rather put more features in vs a battery you can just get replaced by the manufacturer  for a cost which much more than a replacement battery. The iFixit kit for a XS is £78. It’s £79 to go to Apple and get it done. 

You mean aside from the up to a months wait for the replacement battery to get to you anyway? TBH most people I know have an older phone knocking around anyway incase if emergency anyway. Like I still have my SE and funnily enough a K800i from ages ago, I know a lot of people with 6S and 7’s kicking around and on the android side some people have older Sony’s, an s6 edge, couple of Huaweis and a Nokia windows phone. 

Why do you keep banging on about the Xcover? It doesn’t have a flagship chipset in it, what’s worse is it’s a Exynos 9611 which is midrange and with the comparison of snap to the 990 in the S20 models I wouldn’t be advocating for it, 

it also only has 4GB of RAM. 

2 minutes ago, EL02 said:

@Lord Vile£79 is still kinda a lot for a battery replacement. And not all people have a replacement phone. 

The majority of people do. Even if it’s an old flip from 2003. Would advise most people to invest in a cheap spare or keep an older phone when you upgrade if you can. 

Well the iFixit replacement kit for a XS is £78 without shipping. For the Max it’s £80 plus shipping which is more expensive than just getting it done by Apple. 

I recorded 4K 60 on my phone

For how long? And which device?

I mean to show burn in, if you max it out in a white screen it shows up more. 

I have indeed noticed this phenomenon on phones in tech shops (these live demo units run at full brightness all the time by default), but it is not noticeable yet on the older AMOLED devices we have at home.

But the Galaxy S4 has a slight orange screen tone, which is a sign of weakened blue AMOLED pixels. But the S4 (built in 2013 or 2014) is a whopping 6 to 7 years old anyway.

it’s not official spec

Right. But I care most about the functionality and versatility.

Example: Officially, our vehicle only delivered power through the automotive power outlet while the engine was running or the ignition was on. But I manipulated the fuse box so it always delivers power to the outlets so phones and powerbanks can be charged all the time inside the car. Not official, but more functional and practical.

They don’t try because they’d rather put more features in vs a battery you can just get replaced by the manufacturer  for a cost which much more than a replacement battery. The iFixit kit for a XS is £78. It’s £79 to go to Apple and get it done. 

Many users are not skilled enough to work with iFixit tools.

And like I said eaelier, with a bit of additional thickness that evidently most users don't mind (see posts above), both functionality and replaceable battery are possible.

vs a battery you can just get replaced by the manufacturer  

The problematic implications of this is already mentioned in the earlier posts. It is good that it is possible, but it is by far more time-consuming and also more risky than opening a back cover, swapping the battery cell and then closing the back cover.

You mean aside from the up to a months wait for the replacement battery to get to you anyway?

Months? It usually shouldn't take a week.

Although a good point, but that does not involve depositing my phone or putting it in the hands of a stranger that will 99% likely do his job right.

That's why it is good to have a buffer of one replaceable battery far in advance.

TBH most people I know have an older phone knocking around anyway incase if emergency anyway. Like I still have my SE and funnily enough a K800i from ages ago, I know a lot of people with 6S and 7’s kicking around and on the android side some people have older Sony’s, an s6 edge, couple of Huaweis and a Nokia windows phone. 

Yes, that is good to have.

But I would want to film in 2160p@60fps and 1080p@240fps on a device that fits in my pocket and recharge it quickly without feelings of battery aging guilt.

Why do you keep banging on about the Xcover?

Because it proves that IP68 with replaceable battery is possible.

It doesn’t have a flagship chipset in it, what’s worse is it’s a Exynos 9611 which is midrange and with the comparison of snap to the 990 in the S20 models I wouldn’t be advocating for it, 

it also only has 4GB of RAM. 

4GB RAM is fairly new territory for iPhones.

In 2013 and 2014, Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and 4 had 3 GB RAM. iPhone 5s, 6 and even the new giant 6+ had a measly 1 GB RAM only.

Samsung could have built a flagship chipset into the Xcover if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Handroid7 said:

Samsung could have built a flagship chipset into the Xcover if they wanted to.

^^This.

On that quote "Consumers care more about thin devices".

I think companies keep making things that they think most consumers will find great, a thin design is great, but most people who buy high-end phones are power users, they want user-replaceable batteries, they want a headphone jack, a screen that doesn't burn-in. And if companies wanted to give as other womderful features, I will not disagree, but I don't to do any compromises to get it, and while I don't really seem to care about user-replaceable batteries (since they became super rare to find and I just got used to it), I will not ever forget the time a had 6 batteries in my pocket for my Note 2, and kept changing them after they got finished like I am reloading a machine gun, extremely satisfying!

7 minutes ago, GAME 55 said:

I think companies keep making things that they think most consumers will find great, a thin design is great, but most people who buy high-end phones are power users, they want user-replaceable batteries, they want a headphone jack, a screen that doesn't burn-in.

If that was true phones would be very different from what they are now. 

Companies make things they think most consumers will like, but then try to make them want it through marketing, and then check whether it works. It works, so they continue in that line.

Power users are a tiny fraction of users. Most general people don't care.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2