Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabbito

Going AMD... Do I need to reinstall all my games?

if you've installed the applications themselves on another drive then there's a good chance they won't work when you reinstall. if it's just a steam or origin library however, it should be fine

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

How's it going?

I'm going AMD in a few days. That means new motherboard, new processor, new everything except my ssd and hdd. (I'm giving my current build to my little brother as a birthday present)

When I got my current build, I installed a lot of programs (like steam, origin, uplay, amazon games, minecraft, riot games) on D drive (1Tb HDD) instead of C (500Gb SSD) thinking that I would be able to do clean installs of windows on C drive without having to download all my programs again.

However, now that I think about it I'm not sure that my programs are going to work right off the bat.

Do you think that steam and other apps will launch without any compability problems? Or should I backup everything on an external drive using steam's backup and restore feature ?

It can work without reinstalling but I would wipe the drives and reinstall windows in order to get rid of drivers tied to your old platform. 

Just now, juandeag2k said:

It can work without reinstalling but I would wipe the drives and reinstall windows in order to get rid of drivers tied to your old platform. 

Do you think reinstalling Windows on C without wiping D drive will cause conflict?

1 minute ago, rabbito said:

Do you think reinstalling Windows on C without wiping D drive will cause conflict?

Wiping only the C drive should be fine.

Programs and launchers need to be reinstalled along with windows.

The game folders themselves you can just specity after installing steam or whatever.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Posted · Best Answer

if you've installed the applications themselves on another drive then there's a good chance they won't work when you reinstall. if it's just a steam or origin library however, it should be fine

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

systems:

8700k/2080ti - 8350k/980ti - 4790k/1080ti - 4460/1070ti - r3600/v64 - p9950be/750ti

laptops:

8750h/1060 - 3200u/vIGPU

Just now, Enderman said:

Programs and launchers need to be reinstalled along with windows.

The game folders themselves you can just specity after installing steam or whatever.

So even if I have steam installed on a different drive than the one with Windows, the programs won't work ?

It'll take an eternity to back up my games...

3 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

alright I guess I'll have to back up everything lol thanks for the help!

Just now, rabbito said:

alright I guess I'll have to back up everything lol thanks for the help!

yeah, make a copy of the "steamapps" folder and that should do you, same for everything under "Origin Games"

this post was sponsored by folding gang. fold today or be a virgin forever.

systems:

8700k/2080ti - 8350k/980ti - 4790k/1080ti - 4460/1070ti - r3600/v64 - p9950be/750ti

laptops:

8750h/1060 - 3200u/vIGPU

Just now, yaboistar said:

yeah, make a copy of the "steamapps" folder and that should do you, same for everything under "Origin Games"

Thanks dude!

34 minutes ago, juandeag2k said:

Yeah, general rule. Lots of people keep their storage and don't reinstall then come writing on this forum with all sorts of problems because they didn't reinstall.

I HAVE A NEW BLOG! Please follow if you're interested :)

https://linustechtips.com/main/blogs/blog/1330-nzgamers-tech-blog/
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G / Sapphire R9 290X / 16gb (2x8) Kingston ValueRam @ 2666Mhz / Gigabyte A320M-S2H / Kingston A400 120GB M.2 SSD / WD Blue 2.5" 1TB HDD / Cooler Master MWE450 / Aerocool CS-100 / Dell P2210 1680x1050 @ 70Hz (OC)

40 minutes ago, rabbito said:

So even if I have steam installed on a different drive than the one with Windows, the programs won't work ?

It'll take an eternity to back up my games...

Steam won't work, you need to reinstall that.

The steam games don't need to be reinstalled, you can tell steam where to find the games folder.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020