PSU Recommendation

RaMuL

Hi guys,,,

I'm planning to upgrade my rig GPU with RTX Titan, but there is a slight doubt that current PSU might be insufficient. Nvidia website recommended PSU is 650 watt, my worries is about the other stuffed components consumption.

My rig specs written down can you please advise me with recommended PSU if needed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x

CPU Cooling: NZXT - Kraken x62

Case Cooling: 11 Fans in total connected to case controller

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero - WI-FI

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix 1080TI

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB

System SSD: Samsung 970 evo - 1TB

Storage HDDs: 4TBx16 Western Digital Black

Current Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W

PC Case: Cooler Master - Cosmos II

I know that CPU and GPU are the major power hungry parts in the build, but as you read i have more than 15 HDDs beside System SSD.

is this a troll or do you have much to much money

what do you want to use it for

if you have the money to buy such as system just use a 2000w one so if you want to upgrade to an dual titan gpu this shouldn't be the problem

Just now, maxdei said:

is this a troll or do you have much to much money

Hi my friend its not troll or something, these specs collected and maintained over last 8 years, beside my work as events photographer, thats why i need that much of storage, beside my inner little gamer :D

4 minutes ago, maxdei said:

what do you want to use it for

1st thing is my work photography, and 2nd games 

1 minute ago, RaMuL said:

Hi my friend its not troll or something, these specs collected and maintained over last 8 years, beside my work as events photographer, thats why i need that much of storage, beside my inner little gamer :D

then don't buy a fucking titan and use a nas for mass storage

buy a 2080ti or 2080 instead and use the saved money to upgrade to more ram

3 minutes ago, maxdei said:

if you have the money to buy such as system just use a 2000w one so if you want to upgrade to an dual titan gpu this shouldn't be the problem

hello friend, the reason behind the topic is educational in first place, 2nd i don't want to buy parts without fully usage 

3 minutes ago, RaMuL said:

because there are people that want to show how amazing and manly they are by posting insane wnated build that they can't even afford the power

Just now, RaMuL said:

hello friend, the reason behind the topic is educational in first place, 2nd i don't want to buy parts without fully usage 

thought you would buy it fully right now

but i think stay with 1,2kw and buy a nas 

Just now, maxdei said:

thought you would buy it fully right now

but i think stay with 1,2kw and buy a nas 

or if you haven't done the cpu upgrade go for a threadripper

First of all, that power supply will be fine. Completely unnecessary but if you want to absolutely safe, get a Corsair 1600 Watt PSU.

Now how did you manage to put 16x 3.5" HDDs into a case that would at best hold 11 drives and why not go for bigger drives like for example 8 TB WD Gold or Seagate Exos? That many drives in a pc enclosure must be pretty annoying when written to. I have 8x 4TB WD RE drives in a ZFS Raid in my NAS and that's about the limit of acceptable noise to me.

2 minutes ago, maxdei said:

then don't buy a fucking titan and use a nas for mass storage

buy a 2080ti or 2080 instead and use the saved money to upgrade to more ram

to be honest im currently reading about the comparisons between titan and 2080ti, and for using nas as far as i read about it, it's high priced and will not benefits me that much 

1 minute ago, RaMuL said:

to be honest im currently reading about the comparisons between titan and 2080ti, and for using nas as far as i read about it, it's high priced and will not benefits me that much 

i mean more like a self build nas just a first gen rzen with vega graphics some raid cards so you can put it somewhere where you don't hear it noise

if you don't work with videos but just photos why 64 tb of storage 

8 minutes ago, maxdei said:

or if you haven't done the cpu upgrade go for a threadripper

most of the parts i bought it through the years and it moves on with any other upgrade, all specs in the topic are already on 

Just now, RaMuL said:

most of the parts i bought it through the years and it moves on with any other upgrade, all specs in the topic are already on 

ok then run a cpu and gpu stress test while witing and fans on 100% and add the additional power consumption of the titan and if its smaller then 1.2 kw then its fine otherwise you guessed it bigger psu

but why do you want to upgrade from a 1080ti to a titan 

25 minutes ago, RaMuL said:

your powersupply is more than sufficient. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

your powersupply is more than sufficient. 

wasnt sure about the power of the titan 

Just now, maxdei said:

wasnt sure about the power of the titan 

the PSU recommendation they give is for total system powerconsumption. 

you can run that on a good 650w no issue, tho running 16 HDDs could warrant a little extra current capability than that. the 1200w you currently have is more than enough

17 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

First of all, that power supply will be fine. Completely unnecessary but if you want to absolutely safe, get a Corsair 1600 Watt PSU.

Now how did you manage to put 16x 3.5" HDDs into a case that would at best hold 11 drives and why not go for bigger drives like for example 8 TB WD Gold or Seagate Exos? That many drives in a pc enclosure must be pretty annoying when written to. I have 8x 4TB WD RE drives in a ZFS Raid in my NAS and that's about the limit of acceptable noise to me.

as i write in other replay i want to know do i need to upgrade the psu or not for educational reasons, i managed to put the hdd like 11 in HDD cages, 2 in front hot swappable drive 2 HDD racked above PSU :D 1 layed beneath the GPU and SATA cards.

i heard that HDDs more than 4TBs not reliable as 4TBs

29 minutes ago, RaMuL said:

You need to have 4 graphics card before you can start worrying about 1200W not being enough.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

the PSU recommendation they give is for total system powerconsumption. 

you can run that on a good 650w no issue, tho running 16 HDDs could warrant a little extra current capability than that. the 1200w you currently have is more than enough

i don't have it I wasn't sure while recomending to stick with it so he should see how much udalisation he has right now

12 minutes ago, maxdei said:

if you don't work with videos but just photos why 64 tb of storage 

You know you can edit posts right? You can just add more information instead of spamming multiple

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

You know you can edit posts right? You can just add more information instead of spamming multiple

yep but i don't know if you get messaged about edits and every on dows it exept people with more the 10k post

6 minutes ago, maxdei said:

i don't have it I wasn't sure while recomending to stick with it so he should see how much udalisation he has right now

its a good 1200w Powersupply. 

also how do you propose he should check the utilization without a good wattmeter?

besides, the Titan really isnt that powerhungry.