ASUS RMA, New GPU Artifacting.

I bought a brand new ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 Super on 01/26/2020 on Amazon, delivered a few days later. I built a PC with all new components that functioned perfectly for about a month and a half. As of 03/19/2020 I began to have minor artifacting.

I updated all drivers, removed and reseated my GPU and it seemed to fix the issue, however a few days later the artifacting began again. Now the artifacting has gotten worse and is permanent. 

I first submitted an online RMA with ASUS as of 03/23/2020 and have yet to even receive an email. On the support page the phone line and chat service for "Consumer Open Platform Component and ProArt Warranty Support" is lists as 'offline'. I use my PC for work and homework, I need it functioning ASAP. I can't get ahold of anyone at ASUS.

Is this typical of their customer service or am I just incredibly unlucky to have this happen during this time of everything being closed for weeks? 

Screenshot_20200401-095923_Chrome.jpg

20200331_223055.jpg

I don't know anything about their support, but I do have one suggestion. Have you tried a different cable and port, both on your GPU and your monitor? That has helped me with artifacting in the past. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

8 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I don't know anything about their support, but I do have one suggestion. Have you tried a different cable and port, both on your GPU and your monitor? That has helped me with artifacting in the past. :)

Sorry for the last reply, there is only one DP port on the GPU but my second monitor is HDMI and my PC can no longer detect the second monitor through either HDMI ports at all with or without the primary monitor connected. 

5 hours ago, woodypride said:

Sorry for the last reply, there is only one DP port on the GPU but my second monitor is HDMI and my PC can no longer detect the second monitor through either HDMI ports at all with or without the primary monitor connected. 

Ah, that seems a clear sign that it's broken somehow and should be valid for an RMA. Good luck! Perhaps try a different support line of ASUS somewhere? If you have an iGPU, you can use your computer with that until this is fixed. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Ah, that seems a clear sign that it's broken somehow and should be valid for an RMA. Good luck! Perhaps try a different support line of ASUS somewhere? If you have an iGPU, you can use your computer with that until this is fixed. :)

Everyone at ASUS that I've been able to get tells me "not my department" and directs me to thr phone number and chat that is offline. It's really frustrating, I don't think I'll ever buy an ASUS product again. 

In the mean time is there a reason you can't just return the GPU from where you bought it letting them deal with the RMA? 

Yeah, why don't you try what papajo suggested? Got nothing to lose, right? Very unfortunate time for the card to die, hope you get things sorted.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:02 PM, papajo said:

In the mean time is there a reason you can't just return the GPU from where you bought it letting them deal with the RMA? 

@Stockholmes I purchased the card on Amazon and I believe after 30 days Amazon will no longer return a product so I would have to contact the seller directly who is also ASUS. I finally got a reply and RMA number from ASUS. 

1 hour ago, woodypride said:

@Stockholmes I purchased the card on Amazon and I believe after 30 days Amazon will no longer return a product so I would have to contact the seller directly who is also ASUS. I finally got a reply and RMA number from ASUS. 

no thats for returning a product because you changed your mind.. just life-chat with them tell them its broken faulty and you want to return it

they will ship a replacement immediately (and then you havel 30 days to return yours if you dont return it -as in having a tracking code for that before those 30 days the actual package delivery may take more time to arrive at their warehouse but it wouldn't matter, what matters is for you to be able to prove that you handed the card to the carrier service and you do so with a tracking code from said carrier service - within that time-frame then they gonna charge you for the new card) 

*as long as you are within warranty of-course. 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

no thats for returning a product because you changed your mind.. just life-chat with them tell them its broken faulty and you want to return it

they will ship a replacement immediately (and then you havel 30 days to return yours if you dont return it -as in having a tracking code for that before those 30 days the actual package delivery may take more time to arrive at their warehouse but it wouldn't matter, what matters is for you to be able to prove that you handed the card to the carrier service and you do so with a tracking code from said carrier service - within that time-frame then they gonna charge you for the new card) 

*as long as you are within warranty of-course. 

So you think it would be in my best interest to return it via Amazon instead of going through the RMA myself then?

2 hours ago, woodypride said:

So you think it would be in my best interest to return it via Amazon instead of going through the RMA myself then?

Well that's the usual way to deal with stuff (return to the retail than to contact the manufacturer) and in case of amazon I only have had positive experiences in fact I wonder why you didnt already contact them .

3 hours ago, papajo said:

Well that's the usual way to deal with stuff (return to the retail than to contact the manufacturer) and in case of amazon I only have had positive experiences in fact I wonder why you didnt already contact them .

Maybe I'm missing something, but everything I'm finding on Amazon is telling me it's too late to return it. I'll try emailing them though, I don't have much experience with building PC's or making returns on bad purchases. 

3 hours ago, papajo said:

The only option Amazon is giving me is directing me to ASUS Support. 

Screenshot_20200403-222053_Amazon Shopping.jpg

8 hours ago, woodypride said:

The only option Amazon is giving me is directing me to ASUS Support. 

Screenshot_20200403-222053_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Well companies are not charities so they  dont have best intentions and they will cut corners whenever they can but they also care about no losing face. 

So this is just a filter to avoid unnecessary logistics from people that dont put the effort. 

Speak with livechat say you bought it from them and that they are obligated to offer 1 year warranty (dont say that straight out so that you not seem as hostile only use this if you dont get a positive response by the rep on livechat) 

just start with "hi I bought this card "insert order code here" from you and it is faulty cause it shows corrupted data on screen and I tested it on an other computer and it kept being faulty,  I would like to get a replacement"  if necessary mention that that ASUS doesnt respond to your RMA request and callcenter is offline, if they keep insisting to contact with them mention that they are obligated to provide 1 year warranty as a retailer. 

and you gonna get one. 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Well companies are not charities so they  dont have best intentions and they will cut corners whenever they can but they also care about no losing face. 

So this is just a filter to avoid unnecessary logistics from people that dont put the effort. 

Speak with livechat say you bought it from them and that they are obligated to offer 1 year warranty (dont say that straight out so that you not seem as hostile only use this if you dont get a positive response by the rep on livechat) 

just start with "hi I bought this card "insert order code here" from you and it is faulty cause it shows corrupted data on screen and I tested it on an other computer and it kept being faulty,  I would like to get a replacement"  if necessary mention that that ASUS doesnt respond to your RMA request and callcenter is offline, if they keep insisting to contact with them mention that they are obligated to provide 1 year warranty as a retailer. 

and you gonna get one. 

I actually did get ahold of someone at Amazon, they gave me a full refund and they don't even want the card back. Thanks for the help! I was just a little overwhelmed and annoyed with getting turned away at every turn. 

10 minutes ago, woodypride said:

I actually did get ahold of someone at Amazon, they gave me a full refund and they don't even want the card back. Thanks for the help! I was just a little overwhelmed and annoyed with getting turned away at every turn. 

nice pm me I am interested in your card brake the PCB and use its vrm for my OC modding hobby :P